Research:Spina Bifida and EBS.....a growing issue. Poll Question: Do you know of an EB with Spina Bifida

Do you know of an EB with Spina Bifida

• Total voters

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
For the poll : Do you know of an EB with Spina Bifida?

I am also doing some research . There are alot of bullies coming into rescue with spina bifida and we are trying to find out where they are coming from. If you or anyone you know has or has had an English Bulldog with Spina Bifida if you could take a few minutes to comment or to be anonymous message me. I would like to know; What: State, Year, Age, Place, also if the puppy was purchased from a puppy store or breeder.

I am hoping this can be of benefit to future bullies everywhere.

Here is some Spina Bifida Info:
Spina bifida describes birth defects caused by an incomplete closure of one or more vertebral arches of the spine, resulting in malformations of the spinal cord. The spinal membranes and spinal cord may protrude through the absence of vertebral arches (called a cleft). These malformations range from spina bifida occulta, spina bifida cystica (myelomeningocele) and meningocele.

Spina bifida is a type of neural tube defect. Neural tube defects can usually be detected during pregnancy by AFP screening or a detailed fetal ultrasound. Spina bifida may be associated with other malformations as in dysmorphic syndromes, often resulting in spontaneous miscarriage. However, in the majority of cases spina bifida is an isolated malformation. Spina bifida has varying prevelance in different human populations. This and extensive evidence from mouse strains with spina bifida suggests a genetic basis. As with other human diseases such as cancer, hypertension and atherosclerosis (coronary artery disease), spina bifida likely results from the interaction of multiple genes and environmental factors. Despite much research on spina bifida we still do not know what causes the majority of human cases. Nevertheless, there is substantial evidence supporting a significant protective effect of folic acid (0.4mg/day) when taken by women early in pregnancy. It is important to note that spina bifida occurs by the 4th week of pregnancy before many women will be aware of a pregnancy, thus it is generally recommended that women of child-bearing age take a folic acid supplement (most multivitamins contain 0.4mg folic acid) if they are sexually active. Genetic counseling and further genetic testing, such as amniocentesis, may be offered during the pregnancy as some neural tube defects are associated with genetic disorders such as trisomy 18.

The most common locations of the malformations are in the lumbar and sacral areas. The lumbar nerves control the muscles in the hip, leg, knee and foot, and help to keep the body erect. The sacral nerves control some of the muscles in the feet, bowel and bladder and the ability to have an erection. Some degree of impairment can be expected in these areas.

Spina bifida is a Latin term meaning "split spine." Occulta means "hidden."

Last edited:

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
No, I'm so new to this breed, I don't actually know anyone (except EBN members) that has a Bully, except my daughter. She has Millie who is the same age as Gertie and Ida.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Interesting research [MENTION=355]gatorfan85[/MENTION], looking forward to what you come up with on it.

I only know the ones who are in rescue..... is spina bifida a genetic trait? Or does it just 'happen'?

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Welll.... that kind of conflicts because some say its genetic and some say its can be caused by a dog giving natural birth and the spine compressing. WHich makes since with EBs and FBs becuase their heads are so big.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
But in humans, the babies that do have spina bifida are usually diagnosed in the womb, so I would think that the dog already has it before the birth process if it is the same? But is it genetic, or just one of those things that just happen, like with people? I am really looking forward to your research and what you find out.

OP
gatorfan85

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
Me too!!! there are about 20 in rescue just off the top of my head.....its sad. But hopefully after a few months i will have alot of research and alot of data

Frankie's Mama

Jul 9, 2014
Muskegon, MI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank the Tank Bowne AKA "Frankie"
One of Frankie's litter mates was born with Spina Bifida. It was so sad, they had to decide if they were able to keep him or not and in the end they decided it would be better for the pup not to suffer. :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.