Daily poll: Does your bulldog pee in the house?

Does your bulldog pee in the house?

• Yes

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • No

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
B

Baxter Tiberius

My new mantra - after 11 months of misery LOL

1) Always in the same room with me
2) Always in the crate when not
3) Take out 3-4 times a day

NO PEE!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Please do tell for us with pups.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

I've posted before on this subject and others have used the same methodology.
But here is what I did.

I trained my bulldogge to go outside from the get go, and Ace was completely potty trained within a week. If you want to train your dog to eventually go outside to potty then start from the beginning to go outside. I brought Ace home at 8 weeks old and I took several days off from work to build a relationship with my dog. Now here is the key. I took my pup out to the yard where I wanted him to pee and poop every two hours 24/7. I would set my alarm even while sleeping to get up every two hours to take the dog out. Also I would take him out after each meal or each play time where he got excited. But every two hours religiously we would go out to the yard for him to "do his business" . Each time I took him out I would say " do your business" or you can use any word or phrase to your choosing. When he would pee or poop I would praise him and get excited when I praised for his good job. Within a week he was completely house broken and at 1 and a half years of age he has had zero mistakes. Bulldogs are stubborn but what they "learn" they don't forget.

And let me add
that I recommend crate training as well as the other aspects I stated. Too much can go wrong in your absence if your pet is not crated. Its for their own safety and well being that I crate my dogs. A crate presented correctly is a safe refuge for a dog and not to be despised, if presented correctly to them its a haven for them. So every night when we are asleep both of our dogs are crated and they are also crated when we are away from home. When home they are free to roam. There is a correct way to crate train your pup as well and it should not be used as a place of punishment

Mia Amore

Apr 28, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
Thank you for that sorry for having u repost that again. I am definitely going to do that I was at first then slacked a little. Do you have Ace on a feeding schedule as well? I do have Mia on one just so I know to take her out and also watch for body language.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
No need to apologize I was more than happy to repost. And yes we have our dogs on a feeding schedule. When Ace was a pup I fed four small meals a day at the same times each day, then a few months later went to three times a day at the same time each day, then at about 8 months twice a day at the same time, once in the morning and then a larger meal in the evening. Now Ace is fed one large meal in the evening, always at approximately the same time. He may also get a little something in the morning and treats off an on. But I was way more precise when he was a young pup so that his bowels would be regulated at about the same time each day. Now it doesn't seem to affect him much. He usually "does his business" about the same times each day regardless at what times we may treat him, but his main meal is always at approximately 6:45 pm each evening

Also while you pet is still a pup, always take him out about 15 minutes or so after eating or sooner if he shows signs he needs to go outside. But regardless as a pup, feed him at the same times each day and take him out a few minutes after eating. When you play with your pup or he otherwise gets excited, then after playing take him outside for a few minutes as well. You will be able to recognize the tell tell signs when you take him out if he needs to go. Not every time you take him out after eating or playing will he poop but he will eventually develop a rhythm and go at about the same times each day when you take him out. But while he is still a young pup he hasn't developed that rhythm yet so you have to take him out at the times I have suggested in these posts. But eventually a rhythm will be acquired and you will know when his main times are to "relieve" himself. I can just about guarantee it will work out for you both. Get on the schedule and stick with it, its hard work to begin with and tiring but it will be well worth it in the long run

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Also a little tip, as I stated earlier take out side every two hours 24/7 to do his business and a little tip, schedule those two hours and your feeding times so they correspond with each other. That way its at about the two hour mark when you feed so its about time after the pup eats to go out anyway. That will save you some extra trips if you will harmonize the time

Mia Amore

Apr 28, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia
No need to apologize I was more than happy to repost. And yes we have our dogs on a feeding schedule. When Ace was a pup I fed four small meals a day at the same times each day, then a few months later went to three times a day at the same time each day, then at about 8 months twice a day at the same time, once in the morning and then a larger meal in the evening. Now Ace is fed one large meal in the evening, always at approximately the same time. He may also get a little something in the morning and treats off an on. But I was way more precise when he was a young pup so that his bowels would be regulated at about the same time each day. Now it doesn't seem to affect him much. He usually "does his business" about the same times each day regardless at what times we may treat him, but his main meal is always at approximately 6:45 pm each evening

Also while you pet is still a pup, always take him out about 15 minutes or so after eating or sooner if he shows signs he needs to go outside. But regardless as a pup, feed him at the same times each day and take him out a few minutes after eating. When you play with your pup or he otherwise gets excited, then after playing take him outside for a few minutes as well. You will be able to recognize the tell tell signs when you take him out if he needs to go. Not every time you take him out after eating or playing will he poop but he will eventually develop a rhythm and go at about the same times each day when you take him out. But while he is still a young pup he hasn't developed that rhythm yet so you have to take him out at the times I have suggested in these posts. But eventually a rhythm will be acquired and you will know when his main times are to "relieve" himself. I can just about guarantee it will work out for you both. Get on the schedule and stick with it, its hard work to begin with and tiring but it will be well worth it in the long run

Thank you so much for this. Taking notes and she is going to be house trained very soon. Wish me luck.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
Thank you so much for this. Taking notes and she is going to be house trained very soon. Wish me luck.

I do wish you success. I'm confident you can succeed. Just stick to the regimen, religiously, and it will work out. The effort will be well worth it.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Normally the Diva does not pee in the house. Recently she started peeing in one spot. I chalked it down to a new house, new daddy, etc. I started crating her again and the occasional peeing in the hallway has has stopped.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
No, Elmo is fully house trained. He was so easy to train, it took about 2 weeks to train him to go outside. Mommie Loves Her Elmo Boy.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.