Daily poll: Do you think pet owners should be held more accountable for their pets?

Do you think pet owners should be held more accountable for their pets?

• Yes

Votes: 32 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Do you think pet owners should be held more accountable for their pets?
Please feel free to elaborate
attachment.php

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Yes. Pet owners definitely need to be more accountable.

This past Sunday, we went to one of our usual dog parks. I really like this one because there's always lots of dogs and people around which is great for Blue (I try to keep him well socialized).

Anyway, there's this woman there with her Boston Terrier (and man he was one tall pup).
Everything's fine for awhile, then she starts throwing a ball. This is a dog park, other dogs are going to chase that ball along with your Boston, including Blue.
Well her Boston didn't like Blue getting so close to his ball and went after him.
First it was a warning bark, Blue backed off (he's a big chicken) but then the Boston got bold and went after him. The owner jumped in and get her dog before he was able to get to Blue.
She's trying to calm down the Boston but you can see he/she is still tense and won't take his eyes off my dog.
Meanwhile, a pug gets a little too close to the Boston and he starts going nuts again. The Pugs owner gets him and leaves.
Blue meanwhile is just running around. He has no interest in the Boston.

A minute or so later she lets go of her dog and he goes straight for Blue. I run and get in between them while she's just standing there. My husband finally runs over and pushes the boston away as I'm yelling at her to get her dog. She finally did and even apologized but never left the dog park. That's the part I don't get.. why didn't she leave? Her dog was super excited and very unhappy at that moment, leave. Go home or for a walk, or wherever. But don't stay here!
Anyway, we're the ones that winded up leaving which I found ridiculous.. but it was either that, or chance her Boston biting Blue.

I remember thinking that if her dog bites Blue, I'm gonna bite her....lol..

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Yes, as any dog can turn even tho i trust my dogs i need to keep sn eye on them or other dogs- it doesn't take much for a dog fight to break over nothing
If the owner dont care -they should be held accountable ,but if owner tries to break the fight or at least do something -then its a different story
In other words it all depends on circumstances xx

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
This past Sunday, we went to one of our usual dog parks. I really like this one because there's always lots of dogs and people around which is great for Blue (I try to keep him well socialized).

Anyway, there's this woman there with her Boston Terrier (and man he was one tall pup).
Everything's fine for awhile, then she starts throwing a ball. This is a dog park, other dogs are going to chase that ball along with your Boston, including Blue.
Well her Boston didn't like Blue getting so close to his ball and went after him.
First it was a warning bark, Blue backed off (he's a big chicken) but then the Boston got bold and went after him. The owner jumped in and get her dog before he was able to get to Blue.
She's trying to calm down the Boston but you can see he/she is still tense and won't take his eyes off my dog.
Meanwhile, a pug gets a little too close to the Boston and he starts going nuts again. The Pugs owner gets him and leaves.
Blue meanwhile is just running around. He has no interest in the Boston.

A minute or so later she lets go of her dog and he goes straight for Blue. I run and get in between them while she's just standing there. My husband finally runs over and pushes the boston away as I'm yelling at her to get her dog. She finally did and even apologized but never left the dog park. That's the part I don't get.. why didn't she leave? Her dog was super excited and very unhappy at that moment, leave. Go home or for a walk, or wherever. But don't stay here!
Anyway, we're the ones that winded up leaving which I found ridiculous.. but it was either that, or chance her Boston biting Blue.

I remember thinking that if her dog bites Blue, I'm gonna bite her....lol..
The SAME thing happened to Ruthie only it was two huge labs. The owner did NOTHING and it took everything in me not to kick that woman in the face. I have not been back to the dog park since. You should have bit her..LOL.

Owners need to be held accountable for their dogs actions and even just picking up their poop. I see it all the time owners walking their dogs and letting them poop everywhere and not clean it up. It drives me insane. It's not that hard to do. It's the owners NOT the dogs. Pets are a privilege and not everyone sees it that way.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
YES! When we walked Bennie this Sunday there were 4 dogs getting out of the yards barking at us following us down the road. Luckily Bennie is a friendly little boy so he doesn't try to cause problems. My husband and I are always walking together so one of us (husband, as I'm scared of dogs) can fence the other dogs off if needed. We have pepper spray and we're thinking of getting a stick as well after reading a thread lately about a bulldog being attacked:( It's hectic walking your dog in this town, it's scary. We totally have to avoid certain roads as we know big dogs are escaping out of the yards there. A while a go we were followed far by a barking German Shepard, I was so scared. Some people even leave their gates opened and don't care if their dogs run out.

Last year me and hubby were walking to the grocery store when a small puppy came running full speed to catch up with us. No one was around and we had to go from gate to gate to ask who's dog it was. Eventually we found his home and the woman was like "Oh, there it is". Grrrrrahh, it made me so angry, I barely wanted to give her the puppy.

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I vote yes! It shouldn't be so easy to just give them up or drop them off in the streets. I understand going through difficult times I've been there but get help re-homing don't just abandon them in the streets like trash. That just irks me.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
YES! When we walked Bennie this Sunday there were 4 dogs getting out of the yards barking at us following us down the road. Luckily Bennie is a friendly little boy so he doesn't try to cause problems. My husband and I are always walking together so one of us (husband, as I'm scared of dogs) can fence the other dogs off if needed. We have pepper spray and we're thinking of getting a stick as well after reading a thread lately about a bulldog being attacked:( It's hectic walking your dog in this town, it's scary. We totally have to avoid certain roads as we know big dogs are escaping out of the yards there. A while a go we were followed far by a barking German Shepard, I was so scared. Some people even leave their gates opened and don't care if their dogs run out.

Last year me and hubby were walking to the grocery store when a small puppy came running full speed to catch up with us. No one was around and we had to go from gate to gate to ask who's dog it was. Eventually we found his home and the woman was like "Oh, there it is". Grrrrrahh, it made me so angry, I barely wanted to give her the puppy.

Some people just don't understand that their dogs have the potential to really scare passersby who don't know the animals or who might be terrified of dogs for one reason or the other. I have a neighbor a few doors down who has an American Bulldog/Boxer mix...don't get me wrong, it's a sweet dog to me and everyone he knows, but he's 80 pounds and can get protective. His owner frequently lets him roam up and down the street unleashed and he has several times scared the day lights out of people and gotten in altercations with more aggressive dogs. My neighbor always says "oh but he's so sweet." Well one day dog was outside alone and a new mail carrier was walking up with her cart and the dog rushes over to me to see who this person is and barks at her in a warning tone. Luckily I grabbed his collar and took him home because the poor woman explained to me that she was deathly afraid of dogs after having been chased as a child. I'd hate to think what could have happened if I hadn't been outside.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Yes. Pet abuse or neglect should have stricter and tougher consequences. Dog parks aren't my fav for that reason alone. I can't stand when people are like "my dog is friendly" meanwhile it is growling and barking and nervous as anything.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Some people just don't understand that their dogs have the potential to really scare passersby who don't know the animals or who might be terrified of dogs for one reason or the other. I have a neighbor a few doors down who has an American Bulldog/Boxer mix...don't get me wrong, it's a sweet dog to me and everyone he knows, but he's 80 pounds and can get protective. His owner frequently lets him roam up and down the street unleashed and he has several times scared the day lights out of people and gotten in altercations with more aggressive dogs. My neighbor always says "oh but he's so sweet." Well one day dog was outside alone and a new mail carrier was walking up with her cart and the dog rushes over to me to see who this person is and barks at her in a warning tone. Luckily I grabbed his collar and took him home because the poor woman explained to me that she was deathly afraid of dogs after having been chased as a child. I'd hate to think what could have happened if I hadn't been outside.

Ja I don't get it... even if their dog is SUPER sweet and friendly maybe one day a dog will walk past with his owner on a leash and that dog will be aggressive and go for him. How's fault is it then? Dogs should not roam alone, not only can they get hurt, they can also end up getting stolen for bad bad purposes:( I get very stressed when meeting a dog without a leash even if I don't have my dogs with me. When we walk our bulldogs and a dog comes out of the yard I sometimes run like crazy while husband takes care of the other dog. It shouldn't have to be like that:nope: And like in the situation you had with the woman being scared, dogs feel it and sometimes act on it...

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Oh dear...don't get me started. Like the moron around the corner, who let's his puppy -- huge pit bull -- run around off-leash and out of the yard! He's a puppy and comes flying out of the yard - because the gate is open -- right over to Dudley. Now, I'm guessing the puppy just wants to play, but Dudley just sees a dog flying at his mommy...the puppy kept trying to bite Dudley. In fact, Dud was soaking wet from the dog biting at him! Meanwhile, the jackass owner is sitting on his step talking on his cell phone...seriously, you don't see the middle-aged crazy woman jumping up and down screaming across the street. You don't hear her yelling, "come get your dog you moron?!" Really. Finally, because another neighbor came running down the street to help - also yelling -- the owner looks up and saunters over to get the dog. I was shaking so hard, I could barely move. Poor Dudley...he kept looking back to make sure no one was behind us. My knees were shaking...I could barely walk home. So yeah, I think people need to be more responsible...Now...who wants to get me started on morons who have pets and leave them out in the heat, the cold, the rain...?!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm sick of my neighbors cat using my garden as a litter box. DONE!! Even with the snow....the only marks besides the tire marks was cat prints coming from across the street and into our yard. That cat dug down thru the snow and into the soil to poop.

Sharon Mitchel

Sep 5, 2013
Port Townsend, Washington, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charley, a 5 year old male
Absolutely! Actually I'm a fan of leash laws. I took Charley down to our informal community pet contest (everyone's a winner!). All were on a leash except the dog who has never liked Charley. He was coming after us pretty aggressively. One guy shouted at the owner to come get his crazy poodle mix before Charley decided he'd had enough. Charley was baffled by the aggression but it was getting uglier by the second. Had anything happened, I would have held that owner's feet to the fire! My perspective? Want a pet? Take care of it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.