Daily Poll: Where did you get your English Bulldog?

Daily Poll: Where did you get your English Bulldog? (You may select more than one answer)

• Classifieds (For Sale)

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Classifieds (Rehoming)

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • A Rescue or Shelter

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • A Local Breeder

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • A PetStore

• Purchased Online

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Other

• Total voters

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
toof.jpg

Daily Poll 12-8-2010: Where did you get your English Bulldog?

You may select more than one answer, (one answer per bulldog you own!)

Last edited:

Lacey28

Community Veteran
Sep 17, 2010
Windsor Ontario Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Silva and Stella
We got Silva from a local breeder about half hour from my house, she is wonderful and also rescues bullies. She has 4 bulldogs... 3 out of the 4 are related to Silva. Silva's parents and one of her sisters.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Got married in Sept. told Joe that's what I wanted for my wedding present, started looking at breeders and newspapers, craigslist. 3 weeks later, I found a 4 month old N. male an hour and a half from me on Craigslist, ([MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], I know you don't approve of Craigslist, but in my case it went perfectly) went to look, went back and fourth on price, and brought him home the same day with his akc papers and all his vet papers.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Got Maggie from a petstore ..... I know, I know - shame on us!! Hubby and my daughter went in there to buy food for the hamster and it was love at first sight for hubby. I was marched into the pet store later and we came out with our Maggie. :luv:

Daddy was a rescue from an Amish puppy mill ... :luv:

I'd be interested to know the history behind [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] bullie gang of 5!!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I HATE HATE admitting this but I got Samson from a pet store :( I was only 19, young, naive and stupid. I knew it was important to research the breed of dog I was getting and I totally did that. Needed a breed appropriate for an apartment, wanted low energy because I am not an active person and I wanted a companion dog, I wanted a best friend. The bulldog was perfect for my needs except the health problems so I got pet insurance. I thought I had it all figured out. BUT I had no idea how important it was to research where the pup was coming from. We always saved the dogs we had growing up from the local city shelter, we never had a purebred anything so I just had no idea what I was doing in that regard. I greatly regret supporting such a business but don't for one moment regret having my beloved Samson. Live and learn I guess. Honestly, when I think of where Samson probably came from I get this vision of Samson's mommy still sitting in a puppy mill and it just KILLS me! I was really upset when I learned where most pet store puppies come from, I was ashamed. Still am. Ok I'm starting to tear up, gotta stop now.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No I don't have a problem with anyone getting a dog on craigslist at all..... but I am scared for those who try to sell/rehome their dog on craigslist.

Two reasons. The first reason is because I actually have been told by a BAD breeder that this is how she gets her dogs. She just puts an ad in saying she just wants a bulldog and to give them a loving home, does not care about papers or if they are spayed or neutered. BUT..... she only gets the ones who are NOT spayed/neutered WITH papers. So these people think they are giving their dog to someone who did not care, see. And then she uses and abuses them for her breeding operation. Second, is that if the bulldog IS spayed/nuetered, then the people who are rehoming put them up for a pretty cheap price. Cheap enough to have a 'tough' dog in the fighting ring- and the dog gets mangled by someone's fighting dog. So that is why I only suggest that those who are rehoming give their dog to a local REPUTABLE rescue organization. They do home checks and applications and go through a detailed process for placing each dog. Glad you got Vegas- before someone else did!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION]

I did buy Molly at a pet store. We went to the store to pick up some food, and when I saw her color (blonde fawn) and her cleopatra eyes.... I freaked because she was soooo pretty. And I am weak. We did NOT buy her, we left. But Chip could tell I really wanted her. I was not pouting really, but I just kept saying how I always wanted one like her, and her cleopatra eyes were so pretty. So he turned back. We decided if they were not closed it was meant to be. (It was now after 6PM on a Sunday). We got there, and the WERE closed. So Chip said "Well KNOCK on the door!!!". He obviously wanted her too. So they let us in, and we got her. I was very fortunate that she is a very healthy bulldog.

Yuna and Tidus are her pups, so that was an "other" from me.

We got Jesse from a nice breeder in Phoenix. Very pleased with her look, build and health. We made a great choice with her.

Mandy came from a member here on EBN. We saw her for sale on Craigslist- and freaked out thinking someone stole her photo from our site because we recognized it. We did not have many members at the time. They told us they were moving to New Jersey and needed to rehome her, but she costed them 4G's. Needless to say, we paid a good price for her and were appalled at her condition when Chip drove to Las Vegas to get her. She was in too small of a crate and had sores up her back legs from it, her nails were way too long so that they broke and bled if she jumped. They lied about her shots and everything. I think they got rid of her knowing she was not nice to their other dogs. They called me not too long ago and I guess they forgot the lie about them moving, because they are still in Las Vegas! Grrrrr..... and they called asking if they could post puppies for sale on English Bulldog News. The NERVE. Hrmph.

The bill of sale was in her paperwork too, and she was only 3G's. Not 4. (And that was what the ORIGINAL owners paid). Yep, this was not Mandy's first home. And all of her shots were not up to date- another lie. Eventually I found out that they purchased her from a guy who 'stole' Mandy from his wife when they were getting a divorce. He sold her while she was in Hawaii, he went and picked her up from the kennel she was boarded at.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@desertskybulldogs I hope the member you got Mandy from is no longer using this site!!! Whoever it is doesn't deserve to be on a site specifically for bullie-lovers!! :mad:

Last edited:
OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@desertskybulldogs I hope the member you got Mandy from is no longer using this site!!! Whoever it is doesn't deserve to be on a site specifically for bullie-lovers!! :mad:

Nope they don't log in very often. I also edited my last post to include more about Mandy's past.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
toof.jpg

Daily Poll 12-8-2010: Where did you get your English Bulldog?

You may select more than one answer, (one answer per bulldog you own!)

Hi Linus...you are so cute! (Aw, I'm partial)

I got Bentley from a breeder in Maricopa - he was the last pup left and the breeder sobbed when we took him. He came with absolutely nothing other than himself. We didn't have a leash or anything so I took him straight to the store and pushed him around in the cart and got him everything he needed! I never owned a dog before so the first night I put Bentley's crate on snack tables next to my bed so he could see me...yes, I am crazy. I learned SO much about dogs and bulldogs from my experiences with him.

I got Linus from a lady in Illinois that I met on Flickr. She bred bulldogs and had a litter that was born premature and only two made it, Linus and his sister, Winnie. Winnie then passed away and all that was left was Linus. He was chubby, refused to open his eyes, and had a scar on the back of his neck from the C-section. His owner posted a couple pics of him on Flickr and I was smitten. She said she didn't really know what she wanted to do with him because the scar and his ears were developing "wrong" or something so my husband told me to write and see if she was willing to sell him to us. I hesitated but I had long wanted a friend for Bentley so I wrote and she sent him to me for the cost of the airfare and crate. So Linus was a reject, but for me he is the finest and more adorable friend and dog I've ever owned. I tell my husband that because he was the only survivor of his litter, he got all of their hearts and that's why he's so big. I love Bentley and Truman but Linus is incredibly special to me.

Truman came from Bentley's breeder also. This time it was a different story and I wasn't impressed with the conditions or the rate at which he is having new litters. Just about everyone knows the story with his hips but Truman is an absolute sweetheart and the most affectionate and playful bully I have ever seen. It's been full of ups and downs but it makes me love him that much more!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=860]jillh10[/MENTION] Love Linus ... that face is just so squishable and kissable!!

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Also, same as how [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] is feeling, I too did not realize that purchasing from a pet store was bad. Of course Molly was on antibiotics when I got her..... probably kennel cough or something. I would certainly never do that again!

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Two of the answers apply to Gracie. We found her in an online Classified ad. She was listed as a retired breeder.
We were exploring the options of purchase vs adoption. We called the breeder in Missouri and after getting additional pictures decided she was exactly what we wanted.
Only a few months ago, but we've learned a lot more here than we ever knew before about puppy mills/pet shops/backyard breeders etc.
Would we get another dog from the same place? In a heartbeat...if we were in the market for another and could afford another..but we aren't and can't. Gracie is going to be an only princess for now.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
we got lex from a local breeder in tx .we still talk and chat with her sometimes shell come over to house and let the dogs play or well meet up at the park. we got really lucky to have found a good breeder, even though we question some things she says and does.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
Well I placed an ad for a horse for sale. I had a lady answer it come see the horse and email me back and forth for a few weeks. She finally said I cant pay for the horse right now, she said I do breed dogs, (at this time I had 8 dogs) I laughed it off, told the hubby and he said no way.. Well I was nosiy and asked her what she breeds, She said Yorkies and English Bulldogs.. I freaked lol always having been around my uncles EB's I always wanted one. Hubby always said no im not spending the money (but he bought me a 13,000.00 horse?) ok lol... So I asked for pictures of the parents etc. After talking with her that she really wanted my horse ( and I a pup) She came back out to my house and we talked more. We decided to do a trade. Well this was in July 08... I let her take the horse home and we did a contract. We brought Chief home in Feb 09. I think that I got the better end of the deal. They are a great military family that came to Ca from Az...

Ireland, Well I was not really looking for a pup at that time, but then I saw her picture, ( I just sold another horse)(last one) So I called the breeder, she gave me her website etc, we talked and then the kids and I went to see her (stopped at the bank first just incase :) ) Well when we got there It was love at first site.. I had already loved her from the pictures. This breed has been into bulldogs since 1972. Has lots of show dogs etc. When I saw the parents that sealed the deal...

I have seen loads of EB's at pet stores and have wanted to purchase them just because I knew their fate..

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION].... I think that I talked with the same lady in Vegas, they had 2 bulldogs. I almost talked myself into going and seeing them. But something told me no....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online