Daily poll: Does your bulldog jump on people when they visit your home?

Does your bulldog jump on people when they visit your home?

• Yes

Votes: 29 50.9%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters

WilmasMom

Jul 4, 2013
Buffalo, New York
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilma
Banks used to, but we trained it out of her. Now she just wiggles butts them to death
How did you train them not to jump?? Wilma gets so excited and jumps and the people reinforce it even when I tell them to pet her only when she's on the floor. It's embarrassing, like she's a nut.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How did you train them not to jump?? Wilma gets so excited and jumps and the people reinforce it even when I tell them to pet her only when she's on the floor. It's embarrassing, like she's a nut.

Keep her leash on and control her that way. Another thing we did was had her leash tied to the banister when we knew people were coming and all were told to ignore her. We then, after she settled down, remove her from the banister and walk her around to say hello and she is then given lots of love, praise and treats. It is a long road but in the end, she started sitting nice when people came through the door and still does.

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
Daisy is doing good since we started really working hard on this. She is behind the gate when I answer the door so I have time to tell even regular guests to tell her off & turn around if she jumps on them. I think saying it out loud actually reminds Daisy more than guests. Strangers when we are out & about is a different story though!

Violet

Jan 28, 2015
uk
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
My chopper does it too it's awful sometimes when people enter my home he goes nuts jumps up really bad he's 7 months now he's old English bulldog so he lot bigger nearly knocks people over hoping he grows out of it were trying puppy classes next :yes:

Violet

Jan 28, 2015
uk
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Chopper
My chopper does it too it's awful sometimes when people enter my home he goes nuts jumps up really bad he's 7 months now he's old English bulldog so he lot bigger nearly knocks people over hoping he grows out of it were trying puppy classes next :yes:
We maybe need to try that also
Daisy is doing good since we started really working hard on this. She is behind the gate when I answer the door so I have time to tell even regular guests to tell her off & turn around if she jumps on them. I think saying it out loud actually reminds Daisy more than guests. Strangers when we are out & about is a different story though!

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
The boys are jumpers - they feed off each other. I actually just broke up with the guy I was dating because he was throwing fits every time he came over and they would jump on him - or if they wanted to bring him toys. BYE BYE

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
It depends.
If they sense I'm happy to see the person, they'll try to jump. I always say ignore them until they calm down.

If they sense I'm not happy (like the maintenance guys, or cable etc.) then they stand at attention, very alert to what's going on. Blue makes me very uncomfortable when he gets like that
and I know Wellie feeds off him.

Enjoimangos

Jan 30, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Boris Bullski, Paco
My bully does a really good job of not jumping on people, but if you are the kind of person who is over excited about puppies and speak in high voices he's gonna jump all over you cause you've excited him.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.