Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How often do you wash the beds, stuffed toys etc. Of your bully?

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How often do you wash the beds, stuffed toys etc. Of your bully?

There was a period of time -- long ago now -- where I was trying to figure out what was causing hives around here. It was a long, slow agonizing process of elimination. One aspect of that was laundry detergent and drier sheets. Thankfully, that wasn't it. I like to wash their stuff with bleach -- to kill anything -- and then rinse in that wonderful Downy smelly fabric softener....
    @FORDE'SMOM - you are right though; clean blankies -- very excited. Rolling around in them and laying on them and sniffing them. It's a mini party.
    Clean toys? They seem to be saying, " Ewwww. Why did you ruin these mama?" LOL

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vicaroo1000 View Post
    Clean toys? They seem to be saying, " Ewwww. Why did you ruin these mama?" LOL
    SO freakin' true.... Banks seems so annoyed when I wash the toys.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatina38 View Post
    Amber, aka, the bed destroyer.....doesn't get a bed anymore. We bought her a beautiful bed at Christmas and she got bord and destroyed it within two weeks of getting it. Now, she gets blankets to cover the sofa and we have four of them. We change them about every three days and wash them and just keep rotating the blankets. She drags them around and piles them up on the floor like she is doing laundry or something. She doesn't seem to lose her mind over the blankets but beds are just too much fun to rip apart for her to keep in tact. Ruby has a great bed but we have put that up for now since they decided peeing on it was the more logical choice than laying on it, Amber has never been left alone with Ruby's bed or it too would look like the one in the picture below.

Attachment 45191Attachment 45192It was such a beautiful bed when we brought it into the house.
    Ace did the same thing with three beds, two of his own and one of the Maltese's. So now he has three towels in his crate which I shake out daily and wash weekly. He seldom lays on the towels but they are in there if and when he wants to. He usually kicks them to the curb and sleeps on the crate bottom. But sometimes he will sleep on them or lay his head on them while in his crate

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Anything fluffy be it a dog bed or a recliner arm Ace [ I almost made a Freudian slip and typed it ***] has to tear it up and get that foam out. So no fluffy nice stuff in his crate for him, so there that should teach him a lesson. This made me think of something though a bit off topic. So Ace has a case of bulldog acne and I have read that plastic bowls can be the culprit. We don't nor ever have fed out of plastic but my wife mentioned something the other morning that got me thinking. What about the plastic crate bottom that Ace sleeps on. His face is on it all night and whenever he is in his crate. So could the plastic crate bottom cause a similar reaction to worsen or cause acne as a plastic bowl? It makes since to me so I have been looking or trying to figure out how to fashion a cover just for the crate bottom that Ace couldn't pull off or tear up. Something made out of woven cotton like a towel or canvas.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rural mystic View Post
    Anything fluffy be it a dog bed or a recliner arm Ace [ I almost made a Freudian slip and typed it ***] has to tear it up and get that foam out. So no fluffy nice stuff in his crate for him, so there that should teach him a lesson. This made me think of something though a bit off topic. So Ace has a case of bulldog acne and I have read that plastic bowls can be the culprit. We don't nor ever have fed out of plastic but my wife mentioned something the other morning that got me thinking. What about the plastic crate bottom that Ace sleeps on. His face is on it all night and whenever he is in his crate. So could the plastic crate bottom cause a similar reaction to worsen or cause acne as a plastic bowl? It makes since to me so I have been looking or trying to figure out how to fashion a cover just for the crate bottom that Ace couldn't pull off or tear up. Something made out of woven cotton like a towel or canvas.

Interesting .. it is possible. We don't ahve anything in Linus crate because he eats it!! When I say he has nothing .. I mean it! He ate his bedding, and he ate the crate liner, so we just ordered a new metal crate liner. Unfortunately it's on backorder and has been for some time, so still waiting!!

Real Name
    Tim
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ace
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    Interesting .. it is possible. We don't ahve anything in Linus crate because he eats it!! When I say he has nothing .. I mean it! He ate his bedding, and he ate the crate liner, so we just ordered a new metal crate liner. Unfortunately it's on backorder and has been for some time, so still waiting!!
    I was just pricing stainless steel crate bottoms for a replacement and OMG. For one the size that would fit the crate they are more expensive than the entire crate costs. I also have been looking, with no success, for a cover for the crate bottom. Not a pad but a cover that would fit over it like a large pillow case where they would be little chance for the dog to pull off and tear it up. Something out of either woven cotton or canvas. But haven't found anything like it. If I could sew worth a dang I would make one myself out of a canvas tarp or heavy cloth bags that I have seen. But the bags would require several to be sewn together the tarp may work if I can figure out a way to secure it under the plastic crate bottom and still slide it in the crate.
    Last edited by Rural mystic; 06-02-2013 at 10:57 AM.

Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Holy cow. Why do you suppose he does that? Silly boy!

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Holy cow. Why do you suppose he does that? Silly boy!
    I have no idea but he eats anything!! I have no decorative lights left in the back yard because he ate them all.

I do occasionally try and test him by leaving him a few hours out of his crate, but still locked in the laundry room on a doggy bed. He will often eat the bed.

Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

I have no idea but he eats anything!! I have no decorative lights left in the back yard because he ate them all.

I do occasionally try and test him by leaving him a few hours out of his crate, but still locked in the laundry room on a doggy bed. He will often eat the bed.
    ROFLMAO!!!!

I'd suggest one of those complicated puzzle toys -- you know, to keep that little brain busy --- but he'd only eat it. hahahahahahahaha

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

ROFLMAO!!!!

I'd suggest one of those complicated puzzle toys -- you know, to keep that little brain busy --- but he'd only eat it. hahahahahahahaha
    Some of the solar lights out the front have stopped working so I'm going to move them in to the back as a test this weekend. Last year I made the mistake of buying loads of new ones and one by one they were dragged to the back of the yard and chewed to pieces. This time I've learnt my lesson!!! Gonna test him with the broken ones first!!

Crazy Bulldog Lady Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Leesa
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Diesel & Molly (R.I.P. Madison 12/2013)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

@kazzy220 - I feel your pain, Molly has decided that the plastic chairs in the back yard are best when you knock them over and chew on the legs I'm pretty darn sure that is NOT the best use of them but she disagrees with me

As for washing bedding/blankets etc .... hmmm since the move the dog beds haven't even made it in the house yet they are still somewhere in the garage the garage is a scary place that holds all the things we love hostage but crate blankets and bedding when not being held hostage in the garage get washed weekly and I also use the Clorox Clean Up to wash the crates each week.
    I suffer from "M.B.S." (Multiple Bulldog Syndrome)
    because one bulldog is NEVER enough!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads