Jacksonville shelter has kept and is adopting out some of the bullies found abused.

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
agreed. i hate the lottery idea. i think they should give all 13 to [MENTION=2717]airmike1[/MENTION] :yes:

airmike1

Jul 6, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliott.
Thanks again for all of the support....I love all of you! So far, there has been no news. I called the city again yesterday. The latest excuse from the city is that all of the approved applicants would be notified. This particular person from the city was not up to speed on news from the ACPS...major bummer since the deadline was a week ago. The website for the Animal Care and Protective Services says, "ACPS is no longer accepting applications to adopt English Bulldogs surrendered to the shelter recently as part of an eviction. We appreciate the community's tremendous response." Hmmm, tremendous response must be tens of thousands of people and only 2 rookies from ACPS deciding the fate of the 13 rescued bullies to 13 approved applicants posted on the dart board. Who knows, maybe I am just jumping at the bit since I have been amped up about all of this. Thank you, my friends...please hug, scratch and kiss all of your bullies for me. I miss doing that to Winston :-(
Mike

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..let's remain positive...tremendous response..might mean in general..like for donations..support..etc! Not necessarily to adopt. I certainly hope they have a screening process that caters to bulldogs. You know your application was at the very least..accepted. I'm still praying for you mike!

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Oh, gosh, I don't like the sound of "notifying the approved applicants" bit. Are they going to notify the ones that don't get one of them?

airmike1

Jul 6, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliott.
Well, I stopped by the ACPS shelter earlier today. The adoptions are over as the selected 13 applicants picked-up their 13 bullies yesterday. I was not one of the folks selected. Maybe these rescued bullies went to great homes. However, I do want to thank each and every one of you here on the EBN. All of you have been so supportive of me; from when Winston passed away in his sleep on the day of my Dad's birthday in July, to all of you rallying behind me on adopting at least one of the 13 rescue bullies. It does sting that I was not selected...and I will not know why. But, maybe the guy in charge of the "big dog park in the sky," who is taking care of Winston, has other plans for me into the future? :)

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, I stopped by the ACPS shelter earlier today. The adoptions are over as the selected 13 applicants picked-up their 13 bullies yesterday. I was not one of the folks selected. Maybe these rescued bullies went to great homes. However, I do want to thank each and every one of you here on the EBN. All of you have been so supportive of me; from when Winston passed away in his sleep on the day of my Dad's birthday in July, to all of you rallying behind me on adopting at least one of the 13 rescue bullies. It does sting that I was not selected...and I will not know why. But, maybe the guy in charge of the "big dog park in the sky," who is taking care of Winston, has other plans for me into the future? :)

Aww...darn....I am sorry one of them didn't go to you. However, I have to say that you are probably right. There is a Bully out there right now just waiting for you to pick him or her up! You can make a difference to a bully in need and so maybe you can look at the FL rescues and find a new furever friend??

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Dang it mike! I'm sorry for you..but I'm much more sorry for the bully that missed the chance of having you :love: him or her....you have the right idea...some things are out of our control...and some things are REALLY out of our control!..but look at it this way..you now know for sure you are ready for another bully..and I just know..Winston will help guide the right one to you...:hug:

airmike1

Jul 6, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliott.
Well thank you, Betty and Becky. I am going to keep on eye out for a Florida rescue bully after I regroup from the emotions of trying to adopt. I realized I had put all of my eggs in one basket and was not expecting to lose this adoption process. Although it was upsetting, I have learned a lot about adopting and how to go about it. At some point now-or later, I know I will have a 4-legged kid(s) again in the future :-)

Attachments

• Brucy Brucy.JPG
    Brucy Brucy.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    818.3 KB · Views: 55

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well thank you, Betty and Becky. I am going to keep on eye out for a Florida rescue bully after I regroup from the emotions of trying to adopt. I realized I had put all of my eggs in one basket and was not expecting to lose this adoption process. Although it was upsetting, I have learned a lot about adopting and how to go about it. At some point now-or later, I know I will have a 4-legged kid(s) again in the future :-)
We have some people that work very closely with rescues in Florida..I think [MENTION=770]Bella'sMom[/MENTION] is one? Don't get gun-shy now Mike! There are such great bullies in rescue!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Oh man, that sucks Mike........ I suppose they had so many qualified applicants that it did come down to a lottery. I sure hope you are able to find a bully soon.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Sorry to see this Mike, but nice to see you rebounding and looking for other options to find the bully (bullies) who need you most!

GatorRay

Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
I agree with Becky :). If I were you, I would put an app in to the FL rescues and get all set. You can do the home inspection and everything. That way, when you see a bully you fall in love with, you are already *in* to adopt!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=2717]airmike1[/MENTION] I'm so sorry you didn't get one of those bullies, but I honestly believe in fate and somewhere out there is the bully for you and they are just waiting for you to find each other. Those 13 bullies were meant for other things that's all. Your bully is still waiting for you to find them.

There is a huge problem with english bulldogs in florida .. just look at the bulldog rescue groups and see how full they are!!! One of them could be meant for you. I encourage you to apply to them so that they already have your application on file. Also, you might want to consider being a foster home to one of the rescue groups. With so many bulldog rescues they are always looking for foster homes. Just a thought .......

OP
B

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I do work closely with 3 rescues, English Bulldog Rescue of Georgia (they do adopt outside of the state) Buddies thru Bullies in S. FL and the French Bulldog Rescue Network. There are tons of dogs in need of new homes. Some of the rescues here in Fl are having to turn away surrenders for right now because they are overwhelmed.

Sorry to hear that one of the Jax Bullies didn't find you as their new pawrent, but you will find the right one soon.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Darn, too bad you had to go through all of that. But I also believe in fate and know that you'll be getting the bully that's perfect for you and the special guy/gal.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.