Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 13

Thread: Wanting to rescue, have reservations

  1. #1
    Pet Sitter YHSublime's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    368
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Taco & Thor
    Likes (Received)
    168

    Default Wanting to rescue, have reservations

    First off, I hope this thread is alright by the rules, if not, mods please lmk. The wife and I got to talking about getting another EBD. She has always been firm on rescuing/adopting vs. buying, money is not the issue, but it's wanting to help. Because we decided that we want to look for a puppy, she was wavering on those ethics. I've concluded that our adoption odds are not very good, especially because I am on most "lists" for adopting a puppy-5yr old within a 5 hour radius on the east coast, and I have been for 6 months.

    Rescuing Taco was a full time job in itself, and it's a miracle we ended up with him. I never took myself off any of the lists I was on, as we always planned on two.

    I have reached out to several rescues in NY/NJ area in the past, and there is never any follow up. I understand that these are mostly volunteer run rescues, and they receive thousands of applicants, but I like to think of my family as an awesome candidate. We are young, financially stable, area rooted, already have an EBD, and I have stellar references (two of who are executive directors of rescues in the DC/METRO area,) a great vet, and we do not have any children yet. This has all been discussed in the "rescue rant" thread, PLUS, we are willing to travel.

    At this stage, the only stipulation I have is said dog has to get along with Taco, which won't be hard, because this guy is a wiggly honey pot of love.

    I guess the question is, is there any advice for us, other than "keep scouring the adoption boards and putting in applications?" Accepting leads, hoping my next thread isn't "reputable breeders in Northern VA." Our timeline is 8/10/2015- or anything past that.

  2. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  3. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug nycbullymama's Avatar
    Country
    usa
    Posts
    5,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    b and w
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1414

    Default Re: Wanting to rescue, have reservations

    Quote Originally Posted by YHSublime View Post
    First off, I hope this thread is alright by the rules, if not, mods please lmk. The wife and I got to talking about getting another EBD. She has always been firm on rescuing/adopting vs. buying, money is not the issue, but it's wanting to help. Because we decided that we want to look for a puppy, she was wavering on those ethics. I've concluded that our adoption odds are not very good, especially because I am on most "lists" for adopting a puppy-5yr old within a 5 hour radius on the east coast, and I have been for 6 months.

    Rescuing Taco was a full time job in itself, and it's a miracle we ended up with him. I never took myself off any of the lists I was on, as we always planned on two.

    I have reached out to several rescues in NY/NJ area in the past, and there is never any follow up. I understand that these are mostly volunteer run rescues, and they receive thousands of applicants, but I like to think of my family as an awesome candidate. We are young, financially stable, area rooted, already have an EBD, and I have stellar references (two of who are executive directors of rescues in the DC/METRO area,) a great vet, and we do not have any children yet. This has all been discussed in the "rescue rant" thread, PLUS, we are willing to travel.

    At this stage, the only stipulation I have is said dog has to get along with Taco, which won't be hard, because this guy is a wiggly honey pot of love.

    I guess the question is, is there any advice for us, other than "keep scouring the adoption boards and putting in applications?" Accepting leads, hoping my next thread isn't "reputable breeders in Northern VA." Our timeline is 8/10/2015- or anything past that.
    Have you contacted Mid-atlantic bulldog rescue? If not, do it. If you have, and you haven't received a response, send me a pm and I'll contact Cathy for you.


  4. Likes bullmama, dolphin, 2BullyMama liked this post
  5. #3
    Pet Sitter YHSublime's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    368
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Taco & Thor
    Likes (Received)
    168

    Default Re: Wanting to rescue, have reservations

    Quote Originally Posted by nycbullymama View Post
    Have you contacted Mid-atlantic bulldog rescue? If not, do it. If you have, and you haven't received a response, send me a pm and I'll contact Cathy for you.
    It is in my browser history as I have been there, but I don't have any e-mail confirmation of getting on a list there, or communication. Will reach out now! Thanks for the immediate response and direction!

  6. #4
    Pet Sitter YHSublime's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    368
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Taco & Thor
    Likes (Received)
    168

    Default Re: Wanting to rescue, have reservations

    Done & Done

  7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  8. #5
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    aprilemari's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,902
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)
    402

    Default Re: Wanting to rescue, have reservations

    Wow, thank you for being so patient. I can understand your frustrations, though have not gone through it myself. We got Lola as a puppy, but we would like to adopt our next bulldog. Now that we got great jobs, moved to Boston and bought our first house, I realize that there are some things about our life now that would make us unsuitable candidates to adopt and that makes me very sad. First, we have a two story house, lots of stairs is often a no no with older dogs (though we carry Lola up and down often since she is a lazy pup). Second our yard is only 90% fenced in. Third we both have jobs. AND if we decide after 9 years of marriage that we're going to have a human kid, there goes the next 8 years of adoption hope since most don't adopt to families with young children. We're not on the hunt yet but I am already discouraged.

    Best of luck to you! I hope you find your next family member this year!

  9. Likes HrsDiva liked this post
  10. #6
    Dog Park Attendant
    Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    423
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)
    330

    Default Re: Wanting to rescue, have reservations

    don't get discouraged!! the rescues are just trying to cover their own *** as well as find the best possible homes for these dogs. keep contacting them you'll find the right fit for your family soon enough.

    rescues DO get puppies occasionally. about 6 months ago(ish) CEBR rescued a bunch of bullies from a puppy mill going out of business. one of the dogs happened to be pregnant. those puppies were cared for until about 10-12 weeks then adopted out to families who had adopted with CEBR before. But as you already know puppies are rare in rescue... if you'd be willing to bend on the age a bit I think you'd have more luck, you might find a 1yr old faster than a puppy. and again you have to consider that those puppies were probably not bred for the health of the breed and just bred for money. I have personal experience with this as frank's litter was dropped off at a small rescue from a suspected puppy mill operator along with a couple other litters. frank is a bulldog/beagle aka "designer breed", which are usually bred with no genetic testing, and sold for big bucks, it's so sad. we have dealt with so many health issues because of this. I would never give frank up and I was prepared for the financial and emotional toll that comes with taking care of a sick dog, but it really has been heart-wrenching at times.

    man, I hope I'm not discouraging you and your wife from rescuing. I am 100% for it, I just want to be honest with you!


  11. #7
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    TyTysmom's Avatar
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, TX
    Posts
    5,512
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)
    6206

    Default Re: Wanting to rescue, have reservations

    I love everything about this thread. Rescues are so amazing, babies who weren't loved the way they should be loved, or maybe pulled from a home where they were loved but owners couldn't afford - Yes, it may be more work in the beginning, but to watch them gain your trust - to watch them accept you, and learn they are loved now is just unbelievable. There are no words. I am praying that it all works out for you. I know alot of older bullies tend to be in rescues, but they also have younger ones - 2-3yrs old. Please keep us posted! I'll be waiting for the good news, hee hee. And so happy Taco is getting a sibling

    My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

  12. Likes dolphin, HrsDiva liked this post
  13. #8
    Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    brutus77's Avatar
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Long Island NY
    Posts
    6,962
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)
    2795

    Default Re: Wanting to rescue, have reservations

    Most rescues require re submission of applications every 6 mos. Good luck, rescuing will be the best thing you have ever done.
    My smooshy face boy!

  14. Likes nycbullymama, dolphin, 2BullyMama liked this post
  15. #9
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    11,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    7
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2232

    Default Re: Wanting to rescue, have reservations

    Best of luck to you! it's definitely worth the wait.

  16. #10
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,190
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11526

    Default Re: Wanting to rescue, have reservations

    Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    Most rescues require re submission of applications every 6 mos.
    ^^^agreed, most only keep applications for about 6 months

    BEST OF LUCK!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  17. #11
    Pet Sitter YHSublime's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    368
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Taco & Thor
    Likes (Received)
    168

    Default Re: Wanting to rescue, have reservations

    Quote Originally Posted by aprilemari View Post
    Wow, thank you for being so patient. I can understand your frustrations, though have not gone through it myself. We got Lola as a puppy, but we would like to adopt our next bulldog. Now that we got great jobs, moved to Boston and bought our first house, I realize that there are some things about our life now that would make us unsuitable candidates to adopt and that makes me very sad. First, we have a two story house, lots of stairs is often a no no with older dogs (though we carry Lola up and down often since she is a lazy pup). Second our yard is only 90% fenced in. Third we both have jobs. AND if we decide after 9 years of marriage that we're going to have a human kid, there goes the next 8 years of adoption hope since most don't adopt to families with young children. We're not on the hunt yet but I am already discouraged.

    Best of luck to you! I hope you find your next family member this year!
    Thanks! Not really patient, just wondering if there are avenues that can help get there quicker! Perhaps it's best that we slow our roll a bit We got our current EBD rescue with A LOT of persistence. It was totally worth it. We have a 2 bedroom condo, ones an office/dog bedroom, and we have an elevator to an astroturf dog park right outside our condo. It's a super pet friendly place. I would like to think we are good candidates!

    Quote Originally Posted by madie4589 View Post
    don't get discouraged!! the rescues are just trying to cover their own *** as well as find the best possible homes for these dogs. keep contacting them you'll find the right fit for your family soon enough.

    rescues DO get puppies occasionally. about 6 months ago(ish) CEBR rescued a bunch of bullies from a puppy mill going out of business. one of the dogs happened to be pregnant. those puppies were cared for until about 10-12 weeks then adopted out to families who had adopted with CEBR before. But as you already know puppies are rare in rescue... if you'd be willing to bend on the age a bit I think you'd have more luck, you might find a 1yr old faster than a puppy. and again you have to consider that those puppies were probably not bred for the health of the breed and just bred for money. I have personal experience with this as frank's litter was dropped off at a small rescue from a suspected puppy mill operator along with a couple other litters. frank is a bulldog/beagle aka "designer breed", which are usually bred with no genetic testing, and sold for big bucks, it's so sad. we have dealt with so many health issues because of this. I would never give frank up and I was prepared for the financial and emotional toll that comes with taking care of a sick dog, but it really has been heart-wrenching at times.

    man, I hope I'm not discouraging you and your wife from rescuing. I am 100% for it, I just want to be honest with you!
    You are not discouraging me. We went through the same thoughts with our current rescue. He is night and day from when we brought him home, and maybe it's just me, but I really think he knows what we did for him. He's such a loving soul after all he has gone through as well, he wouldn't hurt a fly, and loves all dogs and people.

    Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    I love everything about this thread. Rescues are so amazing, babies who weren't loved the way they should be loved, or maybe pulled from a home where they were loved but owners couldn't afford - Yes, it may be more work in the beginning, but to watch them gain your trust - to watch them accept you, and learn they are loved now is just unbelievable. There are no words. I am praying that it all works out for you. I know alot of older bullies tend to be in rescues, but they also have younger ones - 2-3yrs old. Please keep us posted! I'll be waiting for the good news, hee hee. And so happy Taco is getting a sibling
    Honestly, we should look at a Greyhound, or a Vizla, or some kind of fast flushing dog that Taco can keep up with. He is ALWAYS on the move, I've never seen a dog (let alone an EBD) with so much energy.

    Quote Originally Posted by brutus77 View Post
    Most rescues require re submission of applications every 6 mos. Good luck, rescuing will be the best thing you have ever done.
    Yeah, I just looked over some of the form receipts I have back, and I saw that. I think NYCBullyMama has given me sound really great direction! We rescued our current EBD, I can't remember what it was like without this guy.



    Quote Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
    Best of luck to you! it's definitely worth the wait.
    We know it, firsthand!

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    ^^^agreed, most only keep applications for about 6 months

    BEST OF LUCK!
    Thank you!

  18. #12
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Wanting to rescue, have reservations

    Wish you were closer, I just got in a 3 year old rescue, but he will likely need to be the only pet. Wishing you luck you find the right baby!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  19. Likes HrsDiva liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •