Wanting to rescue, have reservations

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
First off, I hope this thread is alright by the rules, if not, mods please lmk. The wife and I got to talking about getting another EBD. She has always been firm on rescuing/adopting vs. buying, money is not the issue, but it's wanting to help. Because we decided that we want to look for a puppy, she was wavering on those ethics. I've concluded that our adoption odds are not very good, especially because I am on most "lists" for adopting a puppy-5yr old within a 5 hour radius on the east coast, and I have been for 6 months.

Rescuing Taco was a full time job in itself, and it's a miracle we ended up with him. I never took myself off any of the lists I was on, as we always planned on two.

I have reached out to several rescues in NY/NJ area in the past, and there is never any follow up. I understand that these are mostly volunteer run rescues, and they receive thousands of applicants, but I like to think of my family as an awesome candidate. We are young, financially stable, area rooted, already have an EBD, and I have stellar references (two of who are executive directors of rescues in the DC/METRO area,) a great vet, and we do not have any children yet. This has all been discussed in the "rescue rant" thread, PLUS, we are willing to travel.

At this stage, the only stipulation I have is said dog has to get along with Taco, which won't be hard, because this guy is a wiggly honey pot of love.

I guess the question is, is there any advice for us, other than "keep scouring the adoption boards and putting in applications?" Accepting leads, hoping my next thread isn't "reputable breeders in Northern VA." Our timeline is 8/10/2015- or anything past that.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
First off, I hope this thread is alright by the rules, if not, mods please lmk. The wife and I got to talking about getting another EBD. She has always been firm on rescuing/adopting vs. buying, money is not the issue, but it's wanting to help. Because we decided that we want to look for a puppy, she was wavering on those ethics. I've concluded that our adoption odds are not very good, especially because I am on most "lists" for adopting a puppy-5yr old within a 5 hour radius on the east coast, and I have been for 6 months.

Rescuing Taco was a full time job in itself, and it's a miracle we ended up with him. I never took myself off any of the lists I was on, as we always planned on two.

I have reached out to several rescues in NY/NJ area in the past, and there is never any follow up. I understand that these are mostly volunteer run rescues, and they receive thousands of applicants, but I like to think of my family as an awesome candidate. We are young, financially stable, area rooted, already have an EBD, and I have stellar references (two of who are executive directors of rescues in the DC/METRO area,) a great vet, and we do not have any children yet. This has all been discussed in the "rescue rant" thread, PLUS, we are willing to travel.

At this stage, the only stipulation I have is said dog has to get along with Taco, which won't be hard, because this guy is a wiggly honey pot of love.

I guess the question is, is there any advice for us, other than "keep scouring the adoption boards and putting in applications?" Accepting leads, hoping my next thread isn't "reputable breeders in Northern VA." Our timeline is 8/10/2015- or anything past that.

Have you contacted Mid-atlantic bulldog rescue? If not, do it. If you have, and you haven't received a response, send me a pm and I'll contact Cathy for you.

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Have you contacted Mid-atlantic bulldog rescue? If not, do it. If you have, and you haven't received a response, send me a pm and I'll contact Cathy for you.

It is in my browser history as I have been there, but I don't have any e-mail confirmation of getting on a list there, or communication. Will reach out now! Thanks for the immediate response and direction!

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Wow, thank you for being so patient. I can understand your frustrations, though have not gone through it myself. We got Lola as a puppy, but we would like to adopt our next bulldog. Now that we got great jobs, moved to Boston and bought our first house, I realize that there are some things about our life now that would make us unsuitable candidates to adopt and that makes me very sad. First, we have a two story house, lots of stairs is often a no no with older dogs (though we carry Lola up and down often since she is a lazy pup). Second our yard is only 90% fenced in. Third we both have jobs. AND if we decide after 9 years of marriage that we're going to have a human kid, there goes the next 8 years of adoption hope since most don't adopt to families with young children. We're not on the hunt yet but I am already discouraged.

Best of luck to you! I hope you find your next family member this year!

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
don't get discouraged!! the rescues are just trying to cover their own *** as well as find the best possible homes for these dogs. keep contacting them :) you'll find the right fit for your family soon enough.

rescues DO get puppies occasionally. about 6 months ago(ish) CEBR rescued a bunch of bullies from a puppy mill going out of business. one of the dogs happened to be pregnant. those puppies were cared for until about 10-12 weeks then adopted out to families who had adopted with CEBR before. But as you already know puppies are rare in rescue... if you'd be willing to bend on the age a bit I think you'd have more luck, you might find a 1yr old faster than a puppy. and again you have to consider that those puppies were probably not bred for the health of the breed and just bred for money. I have personal experience with this as frank's litter was dropped off at a small rescue from a suspected puppy mill operator along with a couple other litters. frank is a bulldog/beagle aka "designer breed", which are usually bred with no genetic testing, and sold for big bucks, it's so sad. we have dealt with so many health issues because of this. I would never give frank up and I was prepared for the financial and emotional toll that comes with taking care of a sick dog, but it really has been heart-wrenching at times.

man, I hope I'm not discouraging you and your wife from rescuing. I am 100% for it, I just want to be honest with you!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I love everything about this thread. Rescues are so amazing, babies who weren't loved the way they should be loved, or maybe pulled from a home where they were loved but owners couldn't afford - Yes, it may be more work in the beginning, but to watch them gain your trust - to watch them accept you, and learn they are loved now is just unbelievable. There are no words. I am praying that it all works out for you. I know alot of older bullies tend to be in rescues, but they also have younger ones - 2-3yrs old. Please keep us posted! I'll be waiting for the good news, hee hee. And so happy Taco is getting a sibling :)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Most rescues require re submission of applications every 6 mos. Good luck, rescuing will be the best thing you have ever done.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Best of luck to you! it's definitely worth the wait.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Most rescues require re submission of applications every 6 mos.

^^^agreed, most only keep applications for about 6 months

BEST OF LUCK!

OP
YHSublime

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
Wow, thank you for being so patient. I can understand your frustrations, though have not gone through it myself. We got Lola as a puppy, but we would like to adopt our next bulldog. Now that we got great jobs, moved to Boston and bought our first house, I realize that there are some things about our life now that would make us unsuitable candidates to adopt and that makes me very sad. First, we have a two story house, lots of stairs is often a no no with older dogs (though we carry Lola up and down often since she is a lazy pup). Second our yard is only 90% fenced in. Third we both have jobs. AND if we decide after 9 years of marriage that we're going to have a human kid, there goes the next 8 years of adoption hope since most don't adopt to families with young children. We're not on the hunt yet but I am already discouraged.

Best of luck to you! I hope you find your next family member this year!

Thanks! Not really patient, just wondering if there are avenues that can help get there quicker! Perhaps it's best that we slow our roll a bit :) We got our current EBD rescue with A LOT of persistence. It was totally worth it. We have a 2 bedroom condo, ones an office/dog bedroom, and we have an elevator to an astroturf dog park right outside our condo. It's a super pet friendly place. I would like to think we are good candidates!

don't get discouraged!! the rescues are just trying to cover their own *** as well as find the best possible homes for these dogs. keep contacting them :) you'll find the right fit for your family soon enough.

rescues DO get puppies occasionally. about 6 months ago(ish) CEBR rescued a bunch of bullies from a puppy mill going out of business. one of the dogs happened to be pregnant. those puppies were cared for until about 10-12 weeks then adopted out to families who had adopted with CEBR before. But as you already know puppies are rare in rescue... if you'd be willing to bend on the age a bit I think you'd have more luck, you might find a 1yr old faster than a puppy. and again you have to consider that those puppies were probably not bred for the health of the breed and just bred for money. I have personal experience with this as frank's litter was dropped off at a small rescue from a suspected puppy mill operator along with a couple other litters. frank is a bulldog/beagle aka "designer breed", which are usually bred with no genetic testing, and sold for big bucks, it's so sad. we have dealt with so many health issues because of this. I would never give frank up and I was prepared for the financial and emotional toll that comes with taking care of a sick dog, but it really has been heart-wrenching at times.

man, I hope I'm not discouraging you and your wife from rescuing. I am 100% for it, I just want to be honest with you!

You are not discouraging me. We went through the same thoughts with our current rescue. He is night and day from when we brought him home, and maybe it's just me, but I really think he knows what we did for him. He's such a loving soul after all he has gone through as well, he wouldn't hurt a fly, and loves all dogs and people.

I love everything about this thread. Rescues are so amazing, babies who weren't loved the way they should be loved, or maybe pulled from a home where they were loved but owners couldn't afford - Yes, it may be more work in the beginning, but to watch them gain your trust - to watch them accept you, and learn they are loved now is just unbelievable. There are no words. I am praying that it all works out for you. I know alot of older bullies tend to be in rescues, but they also have younger ones - 2-3yrs old. Please keep us posted! I'll be waiting for the good news, hee hee. And so happy Taco is getting a sibling :)

Honestly, we should look at a Greyhound, or a Vizla, or some kind of fast flushing dog that Taco can keep up with. He is ALWAYS on the move, I've never seen a dog (let alone an EBD) with so much energy.

Most rescues require re submission of applications every 6 mos. Good luck, rescuing will be the best thing you have ever done.

Yeah, I just looked over some of the form receipts I have back, and I saw that. I think NYCBullyMama has given me sound really great direction! We rescued our current EBD, I can't remember what it was like without this guy.

Best of luck to you! it's definitely worth the wait.

We know it, firsthand!

^^^agreed, most only keep applications for about 6 months

BEST OF LUCK!

Thank you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Wish you were closer, I just got in a 3 year old rescue, but he will likely need to be the only pet. Wishing you luck you find the right baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianW

Feb 17, 2013
Brown Deer, Wisconsin
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandi, Jackson, Ca$h, Daisey, Winford, Charlee, Darla, Mack, Babee, Ralphie & Stuart
When we first bought our house seven years ago, the first thing I wanted to do was get an English Bulldog, it had been a dream of ours since an early age. Our first choice was to go to a rescue and rescue a pup. Unfortunately at the time, there were no rescues in our state, Wisconsin, or any rescues that would allow us to adopt from out of state. So, we turned to getting a puppy from a breeder... one that was supposed to be good, had excellent references, and had health guarantees. We did our homework and knew the costs and everything involved. Well, we bought a beautiful pup (with show bloodlines) that in the end became a very physically broken boy (major spine surgeries, crutiate ligament surgeries, bladder stones, nerve problems..............).

After his first spine surgery (about 3 years ago), I was out on Craigslist looking for something and ended up seeing an ad for a 12 year old, blind and deaf rescue that was looking for a home from a rescue in a different state. His story really touched us, he had lived outside in Missouri his whole life with no care, and after all these years he was thrown away because he was old. Well, we applied to adopt and within a week or 2 we were approved to adopt. I think the whole process went very smooth and never had any issues.

That event and ending up with a disabled puppy started my whole associations with rescues. Over the past 3 years, I have been involved with over 10 rescues (not all breed specific). Of all of these rescues that we have been involved with, I have been approved to adopt from 5..... All of them out of the state I live in. This has brought 5 wonderful bullies (12 year old male, 7 year old female, 6 year old female, 5 year old male, and 4 year old female) into my life over the last 3 years (from 2 separate rescues).

About a year ago, during the process of being approve to adopt through one of the 5, we were approached by the rescue to become volunteers. I have to say that we were honored to be asked, because the rescue was a genuine non-profit (501c3) and very respected in the rescue community. So we joined them and the rest is history.

True Non-Profit rescues do not usually get in puppies, juveniles, or even healthy pups.... They get in medically damaged pups that people cannot afford, mentally/physically abused pups and the elderly. If they do get in healthy puppies, it is very rare (we had a foster that was 8 months old that was healthy). Non-profit rescues do not go to mill auctions to buy dogs (price goes up per demand of dog: rescues bidding against breeders = mill profits = what rescues are trying to prevent), and I believe it is against BCARN's rules to participate in these activities. So the pups that the rescue gets in are generally pretty sick, there is usually a pretty steep vet bill associated with each of them. This cost is never really covered by the adoption fees (I really hate when people complain about the adoption fee - we had a 2 year old foster that had an adoption fee of $500, but his vetting cost was over $6,000 to get him well).

I am involved in all aspects of the rescue, which means I do intakes, phone interviews, home visits, vet/landlord/reference verifications, and review adoption applicationsā€¦. you name it I do it. That being said, about 95% of the applications that I see, the people are looking for a puppy to 1 Ā½ years old (I guess there must be a warehouse of pups just waiting). During a lot of phone interviews I have done, they talk about understanding the cost involved, and hence why they are coming to rescue for a CHEAP bulldog (I have heard this many times). I am not saying that this is how all people are, but generally this what I have experienced.

So why do rescues have location limits and why canā€™t I adopt from anywhereā€¦ I have bulldog experience, these are questions that I use to have also. Let me tell you about a home visit, that I went on. It was a 4 hour trip one way to get to an applicant, who had excellent references and had adopted from another rescue before (had 2 pups presently, one from a different rescue). When we got there, honestly the house looked like something out of a horror flick; broken windows, boarded up windows, 3 semi-trailers sunk in backyard (probable meth lab), no door knobs on door, huge hole in door, and garage leaning/falling down. The inside was really no better; Asbestos tile throughout house (chipped/chunks laying everywhere), disgusting dirty kitchen and bathroom (cockroaches/fruit flies), old nasty furniture and stained carpet everywhere, and holes in walls everywhere. Their 2 present dogs were in horrible condition also, both had missing hair (the whole back), allergy problems (they feed Purina because of their vet ā€” had no idea what grain free food was), stained/matted and dirty fur, and their rescue also had non-treated ACL/hip problems and could barely walk (they said it was too expensive for surgery).

This person was respected and highly recommended from a different rescue and all of their other references. Did the other rescue ever do a home visit or ever check up on their pup after adoptionā€¦probably not. The house did not just get that way, it was very evident. Why didnā€™t they clean up or try to do something about the issuesā€¦. We made sure everything was spotless when we had all of our home inspections. Needless to say, they were nice people but we had to deny them, because we did not think it would be a healthy environment to put one of the rescueā€™s pups in. They did not understand, because the other rescue allowed them and they had all this experienceā€¦ it was an eye opening experience.

Why canā€™t I adopt if I have a child under 10, my kids are great with dogs. That was a question I also wondered. Rescues usually have insurance policies and this usually is a major stipulation put on the policy, at least it is with the one I am involved with. After everything that these pups go through, there is no way that the rescue can guarantee that the pup wonā€™t have an issue, hence that is why they have insurance. We did an intake and foster of a pup from a really bad area (known for dog fighting), which was great with us and all of our pups the first 2 days. After he became comfortable with his surroundings, he started attacking things. First the cage that he loved going in, the vacuum cleaner (just sitting there) which he had no issues with for weeks, and then finally my wife (out of the blue). He was moved to a different foster, who is a behaviorist (handled a lot of tough dogs in the past), and things got a lot worse from there. They determined that he was a bait dog used for dog fighting (scars and other things pointed to it) and unfortunately he could not be turned around.

So in the end, I hope that you stick with trying to find a rescue if your heart is really in it. I canā€™t speak for the rescues in your area, but I know that most I have been involved with have been excellent and very responsive (except a few non-breed in my state). To me, rescue has been one of the most worthwhile and life changing things I have ever done. There are a lot of downs/heartbreaks, like picking up a true Amish mill girl that ended up having pyometra and Spina Bifada from a person that saved her from be culled over this last weekend and a lot of ups, like helping a boy that had a 99.99% chance of losing both eyesā€¦.. keep both of them and get adopted to a wonderful forever family.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.