Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
Socal is awesome! Congrats!

Yes each rescue has their own adoption policies, some seem ridiculous, but I try not to get upset hearing about some of them-- because I figure some jerk must have made a problem in the past to where they had to put a policy in place.... Those are the people who ruin it for everyone. It's hard to run any organization and many times you have to create rules and policies you don't want to have to make, but your hand is forced because people take advantage of your kindness.

Sigh.....its so frustrating too because there are soooo many great people who want to adopt and can't because of it. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had good luck with Detroit Bulldog Rescue, which now covers the entire state of Michigan. We had fallen in love with Mabel online and were upset when weeks went by before someone acknowledged our application. I played the squeaky wheel and kept on them, knowing very well that it is run by volunteers. When I didn't hear from them after a few weeks, I gave up and talked with a breeder/friend of Frenchies in Louisiana who was planning a spring litter and said she'd sell one to me. This was on a Saturday. The very next day, I heard from Detroit Bulldog Rescue. While it broke my heart to let the puppy go (she said she'd have more litters and that Mabel needed us more), they were willing to consider us on the other side of the state. We considered going ahead with the puppy, but Mabel is a bit of a diva and doesn't like other dogs. We were fortunate that we could photograph our house and yard and submit those, since there was no one on this side of the state that was available to do a home visit.

Not all rescues are difficult, but I think the volunteers from each have their own ideal owners in mind. Some may let their opinions and prejudices get in the way of the best interests of the dogs, which is unfortunate. Detroit Bulldog Rescue said I needed a fenced yard, so I showed them my tiny postage-stamp sized yard. What's funny, is that Mabel hates to walk on grass, so a big fenced yard would be useless for her (plus she's easy to catch! LOL).

On the other hand, my daughter works with Dallas Pets Alive, which takes dogs from "death row" in the shelters and rehabs and re-homes them. Unfortunately she's seen too many dogs returned because they weren't exactly the dog the family wanted (sometimes after only a few hours). The trauma for the dogs being moved from home to home is heartbreaking. While I'm saddened by what some of you have experienced, when you hear about these adoption failures, it makes you understand why rescues can be overly cautious.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.