Rescue Rant

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
It's so sad :( before I got my munchkins I applied to adopt two EB'S and never heard anything back. I figured I wasn't going to be considered because I had never owned bulldogs before, and didn't have a fence. The way I see it, there's a first time for everything, and I wouldn't give anything for any of my babies!
The shelter where I grew up in Southwest Virginia burnt down recently and they were BEGGING for anyone to come and adopt the dogs and cats from there. They put in the local newspapers that all the pets that weren't adopted by x date were going to euthanized. So, of course, there were mass amounts of people wanting to adopt the animals but they don't allow Tennessee residents to adopt from their shelter! It's approximately 20 minutes from the Tennessee line, didn't matter. Animals were euthanized because a Virginia shelter wouldn't adopt to Tennessee residents. Ridiculous.

CrazyDogMom

Dec 30, 2014
Jonesborough, TN
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny, Angel, and Jackson
It's so sad :( before I got my munchkins I applied to adopt two EB'S and never heard anything back. I figured I wasn't going to be considered because I had never owned bulldogs before, and didn't have a fence. The way I see it, there's a first time for everything, and I wouldn't give anything for any of my babies!
The shelter where I grew up in Southwest Virginia burnt down recently and they were BEGGING for anyone to come and adopt the dogs and cats from there. They put in the local newspapers that all the pets that weren't adopted by x date were going to euthanized. So, of course, there were mass amounts of people wanting to adopt the animals but they don't allow Tennessee residents to adopt from their shelter! It's approximately 20 minutes from the Tennessee line, didn't matter. Animals were euthanized because a Virginia shelter wouldn't adopt to Tennessee residents. Ridiculous.

YHSublime

Dec 16, 2014
Fairfax, VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Taco & Thor
I tell folks that adopting taco was like adopting a child.... Maybe harder. I'm still on most lists of any east coast rescue to adopt another bulldog, but I don't expect to hear from any of them. I have specifically put in for several that have been posted on EBDN, and no call back, email, anything. I can only assume that that are getting so many applicants that they are finding great homes very quickly. It is super frustrating when it's easier to go out and buy one....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I think a large part of it is, the people that work at these rescues are volunteers. They have other jobs as well as families. They just don't have the time to go through all applications and screen prospective adopters in a reliable manner.
At least that's what I've been told. Because of this, many applications aren't even seen. I'm sure this isn't the case with all rescues, but I know it is with some here.

Another issue is, it's absolutely true that they won't adopt out for what we think are ridiculous reasons. For instance, before we got Wellie, we went to an adoption event here in the city. One of the rescues at the event was a bulldog rescue. I spoke with the lady there, and got the impression that because we lived in the city, we were going to be automatically disqualified. I went on to say that we already have a bulldog, and our neighborhood is almost like suburbia. After having to explain everything, we were told to fill out an application. But she seemed so disinterested, and was so unhelpful, that we were unsure of what to do.
Lucky for us, Wellie was re-homed to us a month or so later.
Thing is, Wellie almost winded up in a rescue. If he did, we know for a fact he would not have come to us. A 13 month old bulldog with an excellent temperament who gets along well with with dogs and children,
would not have gone to a couple with live in an apartment in the city. He would of been placed in a house somewhere in the suburbs.

But we're giving him a wonderful life, and I can't imagine he'd be happier elsewhere.
Still, the idea of having to jump through hoops while fosters and adopters are needed.. I dunno. Not sure I'd go through it.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I couldn't get a rescue dog because I had kids... one rescue worker actually came to my house, inspected it, came back a couple of days later to drop off the dog, came back a week later and said she forgot to mention that the dog needs one more booster shot so she's going to take the dog to the vet and bring him right back. I said ok... never saw the dog again. Called every phone number I had for the rescue, didn't get a call back until a couple days later... Come to find out, she was not supposed to give the dog to us because I had kids under 10. That's what the lady told me on the phone. You can just imagine the devastation this brought to my kids who lost their dog that they've been best buddies with for a week.

I don't understand this rule. I had a dog the day I was born. If a parent has that much experience with dogs, you would think the rescues would trust her judgment on whether she can handle the dog (that she carefully selected) and her own children...

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
With all evaluations, regulations, and other cautious reasons, adopting a rescue is becoming more and more difficult. It is defeating the whole objective of pairing an adopter with the animal in the soonest possible time. No wonder, people tend to resort to less hassles with buying a puppy rather than rescue because of all the hurdles and rules. Correct me if I am wrong, look at the dogs available for adoption. Some of them are still available after two years. Why, because the potential individual who is willing to adopt failed to meet the criteria?

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I can totally relate to this post! I was involved with Long Island Bulldog Rescue for a long time. I've seen good people leave them that were totally committed to it and would always wonder why. Twice in the last 6 months I recommended friends who were interested in adopting a bully. My friends would call/email. I would call/email...and no response. Ye they'd continually post the dogs pic on FB asking for people to adopt. I sent a very nice email just asking what the problem is? Why can t these dogs be matched up with people who want them and I have 2 people who are getting frustrated and thinking of going to a pet store. I got a very nasty response from a girl saying she worked full time and how busy they were and it's not her fault. I didn't want to go back at her because my friend really wanted this particular dog. She still never called him back and 2 weeks later the dog was up on their FB page again! I contacted people,who left and asked exactly what the reason was they cut ties and it was always the same...the basic function is to rehome bulldogs but they are so caught up in the fundraising and promotions. They have a huge gala event where Beth Stern, Howard Sterns wife, promotes their cause and is an avid supporter.. That is fantastic but they lost sight of what should be their priority. They are caught up in being in the news now. I'm done with them and only recommend people to Bumper now. When you post a pic of a dog needing rescue and a person responds saying t hey want him that person should be contacted ..instead they respond "well some of us have to work you know? After both rescues fell through for my friends I wrote back saying maybe she isn't the right person for the job. If she can't commit the time to do it then don't do it. So frustrating!

xxaprilrose

Community Veteran
Jan 22, 2014
NY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Jovi
What I find very frustrating in these types of stories is what it really comes down to, REALLY comes down to.. is the fact the dog is STILL left unadopted and able to run up to their owners and love them and live the life they deserve. It breaks my heart. Because I actually do hear these stories almost once a week, if not more. And I know the person is a good person and would treat their dog so well. Actually, just recently I went online and found my friend a puppy, yes it was from a breeder. This reason being is she actually applied at 4 different rescue's nearby and they ALL denied her because her CAT was not fixed. Her cat is 5 months old. And another because she doesn't have a fenced yard. Come on now.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I understand them wanting the bullies to go to good homes but they have to lighten up their restrictions a bit. Some are too judgmental when it comes to home visits.

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
I understand them wanting the bullies to go to good homes but they have to lighten up their restrictions a bit. Some are too judgmental when it comes to home visits.

and unfortunately in the process, they are discouraging the same very good people, who are committed to giving the animals a good home and these people resort to buying from petstores. Aren't we attempting to indoctrinate people from not doing that yet the adoption system is driving them to do just that.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
There's someone in this area that has 16, or is it 18 bulldogs? living with her. Many from a rescue. Kinda weird that they allow that but nitpick about other things.

mzza111

May 16, 2013
Orange County, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gypsy (May 2013- March 2015)
I'd have to assume each rescue is run differently, right? I had a great experience with the So Cal Bulldog Rescue. In fact, I'm planning to adopt again. I hope it goes as smooth as the first time.

OliviaB

Feb 18, 2015
Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Belle
I completely agree with this. We tried hard to rescue a bulldog but we were rejected by all three rescues that we looked at. The first one automatically turned us away because we have two kids under the age of 10. I know some dogs don't like kids, but they even admitted that they had some that loved kids. It was just their policy to not adopt to families with kids. The second rescue let us get further in the process but wanted to see all sorts of financial info. It got really weird and intrusive so we declined to continue. I know people need to be financially prepared, but some of the info they wanted was extremely personal. The last rescue wouldn't even talk to us because our yard isn't fenced in. We have a fenced in dog park down the street and told them we would always walk our dog on leash but that didn't matter. Our yard is huge and backs up to thousands of acres of forest....no way we would ever fence that in and cut off that view. UGH. I wish we could have rescued but it just couldn't work out...very frustrating.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I'd have to assume each rescue is run differently, right? I had a great experience with the So Cal Bulldog Rescue. In fact, I'm planning to adopt again. I hope it goes as smooth as the first time.

Socal is awesome! Congrats!

Yes each rescue has their own adoption policies, some seem ridiculous, but I try not to get upset hearing about some of them-- because I figure some jerk must have made a problem in the past to where they had to put a policy in place.... Those are the people who ruin it for everyone. It's hard to run any organization and many times you have to create rules and policies you don't want to have to make, but your hand is forced because people take advantage of your kindness.

Sigh.....its so frustrating too because there are soooo many great people who want to adopt and can't because of it. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RowdyMama

Apr 3, 2015
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Rowdy
If it helps, I lost my mastiff on a Monday in the middle of the night. I was devastated and needed to fill the emptiness... I contacted SoCal Bulldog Rescue. My home visit was that Friday, and I had adopted my boy Rowdy on Saturday. It was well organized and efficient. The gals Tami and Jennifer worked together despite my living 2 hours away from the foster mom to get me my boy. Welcome to Southern California Bulldog Rescue - Southern California Bulldog Rescue

Members online

No members online now.