Rescue Rant

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Sorry to rant but I need to get this off my chest... We all say to everyone , " don't buy a dog when there are do many that need to be rescued". However, rescues have made it so difficult to adopt that people end up saying , screw it, and go buy a puppy from a breeder or craigslist! I have had this happen to 3 people already ( myself included with a parrot rescue)
I have a friend who lost his two goldens to old age a couple of years ago. Great guy in his 40's, single, owns a few homes, has the money it takes to care for a dog properly. Anyway, he decided on a low energy dog and told me he want to get a bulldog puppy. I begged him to consider getting a rescue and he actually found one that he liked. Filled out the application. No phone call from the place, just an email rejecting him because he stated in his application that he would bring the dog to work with him so it wouldn't have to be home alone while he was out.
Then he asked about another fog listed as available and was told that it was in a trial adoption. Finally he just said that it was too much trouble and would just get a pup.
I'm so frustrated.
My other friend just adopted a pup from the shelter and they refused to release her until he showed them proof of ownership of his home, and proof of payment for dog training classes from any professional dog training center that could NOT be pet smart. He did it all but said he will never deal with a shelter again.
I understand all these rules but the reality is that a lot of good potential families who are trying to help the homeless pet population being driven away by these organizations that create all these hoops.
Anyway.... End of rant..... Sorry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have heard MANY stories of having issues w/the bully rescues… or just rescues in general. I understand that they need to make sure they are going to good homes, but it honestly seems to me that they are LOSING potential wonderful homes because of some "red tape". We were frustrated because some of the closest rescues would NOT allow us to adopt because we lived too far away. If I'm WILLING to drive HOURS to get the dog, and if I can prove that I have a wonderful bully home… why NOT?!! I can have vets call, have people call/vouch for my behalf… and be willing to do a home inspection. It just seems really unfair :(

OP
agentbunny

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I have heard MANY stories of having issues w/the bully rescues… or just rescues in general. I understand that they need to make sure they are going to good homes, but it honestly seems to me that they are LOSING potential wonderful homes because of some "red tape". We were frustrated because some of the closest rescues would NOT allow us to adopt because we lived too far away. If I'm WILLING to drive HOURS to get the dog, and if I can prove that I have a wonderful bully home… why NOT?!! I can have vets call, have people call/vouch for my behalf… and be willing to do a home inspection. It just seems really unfair :(

I hear ya! I'm so frustrated cause my friend would have made such a great owner to a dog truly in need. Now he is going to go out and buy one. Ultimately it's the poor dogs that lose out. I once did revue for yorkie a and was told to reject a retired stay at home couple who wanted to adopt a young adult yorkie. The head of the rescue thought they were too old and might die before the dog.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I hear ya! I'm so frustrated cause my friend would have made such a great owner to a dog truly in need. Now he is going to go out and buy one. Ultimately it's the poor dogs that lose out. I once did revue for yorkie a and was told to reject a retired stay at home couple who wanted to adopt a young adult yorkie. The head of the rescue thought they were too old and might die before the dog.

Tell your friend yo look at BUMPER bulldog rescue out of New York... They have adopted out as far as Kanas and Louisiana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I had this same issue, when I lived in Maine I lived on a lake and although I already had a bulldog and had a good paying job, they refused to let me adopt another one because I lived near the lake. I explained that Bulldozer was always supervised outside. Rescue in New England wouldn't even correspond with me.

OP
agentbunny

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Tell your friend yo look at BUMPER bulldog rescue out of New York... They have adopted out as far as Kanas and Louisiana

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
He is in San Francisco, if he is starting to think the rescue dog process here is too much I don't think he will want to fly one in from new york...lol. Seriously though, most people are like him.... not really dedicated one way of the other to breeders or rescues. These people would take and love a rescue dog but would just as soon buy a dog if a rescue group offered resistance. It ultimately hurts the dogs. Perhaps not the ones living in foster homes but defiantly the ones there is no room for. I don't know of a good solution for the issue as I see both sides. It sucks.

OP
agentbunny

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I had this same issue, when I lived in Maine I lived on a lake and although I already had a bulldog and had a good paying job, they refused to let me adopt another one because I lived near the lake. I explained that Bulldozer was always supervised outside. Rescue in New England wouldn't even correspond with me.

Awwwe Im sorry to hear that. There are a lot of people out there that this has happened to. Happened to me with a parrot I wanted to adopt. I already purchased the cage and supplies. Then they said I had to go to some parroting class before I could even be considered. It didn't matter that I had years of experience. They told me that they just had a class and the next would be in 3 months, 50 miles from me. I ended up buying a parrot from a breeder. No hassle and I didn't have to prove anything. That was 7 years ago and the birds (we got 2) still have a great home with us.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Awwwe Im sorry to hear that. There are a lot of people out there that this has happened to. Happened to me with a parrot I wanted to adopt. I already purchased the cage and supplies. Then they said I had to go to some parroting class before I could even be considered. It didn't matter that I had years of experience. They told me that they just had a class and the next would be in 3 months, 50 miles from me. I ended up buying a parrot from a breeder. No hassle and I didn't have to prove anything. That was 7 years ago and the birds (we got 2) still have a great home with us.

Parroting class… seriously?!! :blink: I don't know anything about birds, but I would think that if you owned them before that would at least count for something… Lol

OP
agentbunny

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Parroting class… seriously?!! :blink: I don't know anything about birds, but I would think that if you owned them before that would at least count for something… Lol

I know right??? Im sure it was a basic bird care and how to clip nails and feathers.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini

Agreed! I adopted two Belgian Malanois(both since passed) I think I had more inspection and paperwork than when someone adopts kids!! I know they want good homes-but it does get discouraging. I didn't give up-but was getting close...they were wonderful dogs, worth in in the end!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I understand the frustration, but I do think as with any group or organization it really depends which group it is.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I'm going to look into adopting a brother for Bocephus once I get settled in Henderson NV. Praying I'll be able to get another one. I've had three and have been around bulldogs since the 80s. Hopefully there is a dog I can save

luvmybully

May 19, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
Before I got Tucker, I looked into a rescue and was refused on the phone cuz I don't have a fence. They said with even an invisible fence, because they are not a guaranty the dog will stay in the yard.

Brandie37

Mar 10, 2014
KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Bruno & Louie
I completely agree with you. I have an OEB and really want a EB so I thought I would do something good and adopt. Filled out an app for two different bully rescues. Never heard from one of them. The other called, I answered questions on the phone and they said they would be in touch. Both have Facebook pages that I look at and they are listing new dogs all the time. I gave up and decided I'm just going to save up the money and when I have enough money I'll buy an EB pup and skip the crap

Coops25563

Mar 7, 2015
British Columbia
Country
canada
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet. But if girl Winnie. Winnie the pooch
Sad to read that nothing has changed and adopting a rescue is still just as difficult. We lost our beloved pooch of 16 years last fall and have been searching for a rescue to adopt. We found one that would be perfect for us- under the age of 2, good with kids and cats. But we were denied cause we are not Alberta residents. Our home home is only a few hours from the Alberta border.
So sad to see these gorgeous souls sitting in shelters when there are loving homes ready to open their hearts to them.
what can we do to have our voices heard?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online