SW Virginia Bully Rescues (Non-existant?)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thanks for the advice and help everyone. Its *possible* that we might have just found two Bully's that fit the bill:

http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24881401
http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/24880687

Lets keep our fingers crossed!

(And I will apologize in advance to [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] incase these links aren't kosher either. :whistle:)

I just hung up the phone with Kathy (mid-atlantic bulldog rescue) she has reviewed your app and stated that if you are willing to drive to NJ they are willing to work with you...She stated b.c they dont have volunteers in your area they couldnt get him/her to you. SHe said if you would like to give her a call next week to discuss everything further... I will pm you with her information :) Let me know if there is anything else you need :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
Hi Kazzy220. I did post an interest on the Detroit FB page but haven't rotten a response. I'll keep trying. Thanks for your interest and help!

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Good luck with the work in progress you have going! If it doesn't work out don't get discouraged. If you read some of my first posts I had the same issues when trying to adopt and/or purchase.

I ended up stalking all relatively close animal control websites, craigslist, and the ebay classifieds. You have to be careful of scams, and I ended up emailing a piece of my mind a few times, but ended up finding Mack and do believe that you end up with the dog you need instead of the one you want.

It will happen when the time is right, and the wait will be well worth it.

Make sure to keep us updated and post pics when you find your baby! Also, you will be sure to have questions, and this forum and it's members are an amazing resource.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

OP
D

Derek Kolakowski

Jun 1, 2012
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Boddington of Fenway
Derek..are YOU the pending adopter?? They are both wonderful!

Well... not yet but we are still in the running. They were marked "Pending" because they received *7+* applications for the pair in something like 36 hours! So rather than keep taking apps and potentially getting peoples hopes up, they decided to use the pending status. (We are obviously one of the 7+ apps.)

We met both Kristi (Now being called "Lucy") and Erik (Now possibly being called "Freddy" or "Ricky") on Saturday and they were both great! It was a bit sad that they were skin & bones with some hotspots but were in obvious good hands with the owner/operator of the rescue Ruth. (Its called "Pets in Peril" and she pulls from kill shelters.)

Lucy/Kristi was super submissive and very shy. Half the time she kept here head and thorax so low it was like she was crawling around with her butt in the air. But she got much better towards the end of the visit and was really enjoying my wife's attention.

Erik/Freddy/Ricky was a ball of energy! I would not be surprised if he would be willing to go for short runs. When he first met my wife all I saw was belly and paws in the air for a good belly rub.

They also had no problems meeting and hanging out with Buddy but they were more interested in the humans than in him.

Best "impression" I can give you is that Lucy would be great for a little girl's tea parties/dressup and Freddy would be awesome for football/roughhousing with little boy's in the back yard. (Making some assumptions about who likes tea parties vs. roughhousing but I think you get the picture.)

The only "observation" that I made was that they were "longer" than I expected from an English bulldog but that could have been an illusion since they are so skinny and Buddy is on the smaller side.

In the end there are some serious conversations going on in our house about going from 1 Bully to 3 Bully's! But even if it doesn't work for us to adopt them, we plan on donating to the rescue and would certainly consider fostering them for a while. But something tells me that someone else will very likely be right behind us to give them a great home!

OP
D

Derek Kolakowski

Jun 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Boddington of Fenway
Good luck with the work in progress you have going! If it doesn't work out don't get discouraged. If you read some of my first posts I had the same issues when trying to adopt and/or purchase.

I ended up stalking all relatively close animal control websites, craigslist, and the ebay classifieds. You have to be careful of scams, and I ended up emailing a piece of my mind a few times, but ended up finding Mack and do believe that you end up with the dog you need instead of the one you want.

It will happen when the time is right, and the wait will be well worth it.

Make sure to keep us updated and post pics when you find your baby! Also, you will be sure to have questions, and this forum and it's members are an amazing resource.

Thanks for the encouraging words Noyes, its certainly a frustrating process but will be worth it in the end!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I so hope they are fortunate to end up with you Derek. True..from one to three will be a change..but nothing compared to going from none to one! And after all..it's three times the love! :D

OP
D

Derek Kolakowski

Jun 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Boddington of Fenway
Good Morning All,

After a lot of discussion in our home over the weekend and into Monday we came to the hard conclusion that we were not the right home for Lucy and Erick/Freddy. (I want to be very clear that this is not a result of any issues on the pups part! They are both awesome and any family would be lucky to have them.) But since Jen and I work longer hours (I am at home, but its hard to get away from the keyboard for more than 15 minutes at a time during the work day) we just felt like they would not get the amount of attention that they both need/deserve at this point. We will, however, be donating to the rescue and buying a set of harnesses for them as soon as I can get their measurements!

If anyone is interested in either Bully (or both), I know the shelter (Ruth) would love someone with breed specific knowledge to apply despite the other applications they already have. Please reach out to me and I will provide you her contact information.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Good Morning All,

After a lot of discussion in our home over the weekend and into Monday we came to the hard conclusion that we were not the right home for Lucy and Erick/Freddy. (I want to be very clear that this is not a result of any issues on the pups part! They are both awesome and any family would be lucky to have them.) But since Jen and I work longer hours (I am at home, but its hard to get away from the keyboard for more than 15 minutes at a time during the work day) we just felt like they would not get the amount of attention that they both need/deserve at this point. We will, however, be donating to the rescue and buying a set of harnesses for them as soon as I can get their measurements!

If anyone is interested in either Bully (or both), I know the shelter (Ruth) would love someone with breed specific knowledge to apply despite the other applications they already have. Please reach out to me and I will provide you her contact information.

When the time is right it will happen! We would love to rescue also but time is an issue as well! I hope you stick around and continue to post :) Let me know if there is anything elsse you need :)

OP
D

Derek Kolakowski

Jun 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Boddington of Fenway
When the time is right it will happen! We would love to rescue also but time is an issue as well! I hope you stick around and continue to post :) Let me know if there is anything elsse you need :)
Thanks for the encouragement! We have been lurking on here since we started our search for Buddy 9-12 months back. I have no doubt that we will stay and try to contribute when we have something meaningful, insightful, or helpful to say. ;)

As far as Lucy and Freddy we ended up donating two Kong harnesses (the ones with the padded chest portions), two rappelling rope leashes, two big bags of TOTW Salmon food (no one local carries FROMM), and some money to help with expenses. I have also noticed that neither pup is listed on Petfinder any longer so it sounds like the adoption went through.

I think the biggest learning we took from meeting the puppies is that we really were looking primarily for a companion for Buddy, and a companion for us humans was secondary to that. I think Lucy and Freddy would have been happy in a home with other dogs but what they really wanted/needed was human companionship first and foremost.

At this point, we have a scheme for what we think is the next best step for us but we are keeping it close to our vest. However, my original point still stands: There is no breed specific Bully Rescue that covers South West Virginia! ;) (Well, excluding [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] of course!)

Noyes27

Sep 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Mack
Is that the new idea perhaps? *wink*wink*

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.