SW Virginia Bully Rescues (Non-existant?)

OP
D

Derek Kolakowski

Jun 1, 2012
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Boddington of Fenway
We got HRH as a retired breeder from Missouri. Had her shipped here via transport. She was 3 1/2 But most retired girls I've seen offered since have been about 5.
she was "mostly" potty trained, we concluded the piddle accidents at first might have been UTI related.
She was well trained and very well mannered although she has unlearned some of those manners. (its Daddy's fault)
She does have MAJOR fear issues, but we have come to the conclusion that it's just part of her personality.
I'm sure it depends on the breeder what they do with their girls when it's retirement time, but it's another avenue that sounds like what you are looking for.

Thanks LariP! That is almost exactly how we found Buddy. We emailed a bunch of breeders to see if they had any retirees. ;) We lucked out that Buddy's original family ran into some unexpected allergies and so he needed to find a new home!

I didn't even think of that this time! :bitching:

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
I am in the same position. We would like a 2nd bulldog and would like to potentially adopt from a rescue but have run into the same problems you have outlined. I live in West Michigan and we are also "out of the territory" to be considered by most neighboring states. I would like to hear the advice you get because maybe it will help me as we'll.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes, sometimes breeders will have retired girls to adopt out. We do every once in awhile. Just like Little Bee, who we think we may have a home for.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=5301]Trod1[/MENTION] I would contact Detroit Bulldog Rescue as I'm sure they cover Michigan area. They are on facebook so you can contact them direct through there.

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
Thank you kazzy 220. I have applied to the Detroit Rescue and haven't gotten any response to my application or emails. I know it is not necessarily a fast process to adopt through a rescue, which I completely understand, but there also does not seem to be many dogs available through the Detroit rescue compared to neighboring states. i appreciate the advice though.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Thanks LariP! That is almost exactly how we found Buddy. We emailed a bunch of breeders to see if they had any retirees. ;) We lucked out that Buddy's original family ran into some unexpected allergies and so he needed to find a new home!

I didn't even think of that this time! :bitching:

Hi there! I just spoke with a volunteer with Mid Atlantic Bulldog Rescue. They do adopt to NJ/NY/PA/CT/MD he did state its not guaranteed but if you fill out an appliation they will review. Once you subit the app please message me and let me know and I will contact them to reveiw and see if you are eligable. Here is the link to application process: http://centralridge.net/~mabr/applications/app.pl My name is Roe pleae let me know if you need anything :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Thank you kazzy 220. I have applied to the Detroit Rescue and haven't gotten any response to my application or emails. I know it is not necessarily a fast process to adopt through a rescue, which I completely understand, but there also does not seem to be many dogs available through the Detroit rescue compared to neighboring states. i appreciate the advice though.

I know they have a lot of bullys in, but many of them are on medical hold. In fact right now they are full with no open foster homes. I don't know how long ago it was that you put your application in but if it's been a couple of months then you might want to follow up with them. As with most rescues DBR is run voluntarily by people who already have full-time jobs and families. So that is the main reason why it can seem as if things take a while to happen.

Maybe you could apply to foster? It is a very rewarding experience to take a bully that has been neglected and see it blossom and become healthy under your love and care! DBR actually has a plea on it's facebook page for more foster families. Just a thought ....... :D

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for the support! Just surprised that there isn't a rescue that covered WV and SW/Central Virginia.

You might also want to try and contact Courtney who owns Carolina Pet Pantry. She has set up her own rescue ... Bullies2TheRescue. She will adopt out of state. :)

Trod1

Jul 2, 2012
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Olive, Oscar
Yes, I applied within the last month, but perhaps you are correct that the dogs they have, aren't ready for permanent placement. I work so I don't know if they would consider us for a foster family. My dogs are used to that schedule and routine so they do well with it. I think following them on FB is a good idea. Thanks!

OP
D

Derek Kolakowski

Jun 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Boddington of Fenway
Hi there! I just spoke with a volunteer with Mid Atlantic Bulldog Rescue. They do adopt to NJ/NY/PA/CT/MD he did state its not guaranteed but if you fill out an appliation they will review. Once you subit the app please message me and let me know and I will contact them to reveiw and see if you are eligable. Here is the link to application process: http://centralridge.net/~mabr/applications/app.pl My name is Roe pleae let me know if you need anything :)

Hi Roe. Thanks for the info and inside track! I just pm'd you since I completed the MABR application.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, I applied within the last month, but perhaps you are correct that the dogs they have, aren't ready for permanent placement. I work so I don't know if they would consider us for a foster family. My dogs are used to that schedule and routine so they do well with it. I think following them on FB is a good idea. Thanks!

I work and so does my husband, and I foster, and I work for the rescue .... :up:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hi Roe. Thanks for the info and inside track! I just pm'd you since I completed the MABR application.

No problem! Thanks for the info :) I called her and left a messsage...As soon as she calls me back I will message you :)

OP
D

Derek Kolakowski

Jun 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Boddington of Fenway

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.