SW Virginia Bully Rescues (Non-existant?)

Derek Kolakowski

Jun 1, 2012
Roanoke, Virginia, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Boddington of Fenway
Hey All,

Long time lurker but infrequent poster. My wife and I are looking for a sister for Buddy, our 12 month old, but are really running into some blockers.

We have used PetFinder but here in South West Virginia (Roanoke) there have not been many candidates. We have looked outside our area in Petfinder but there is still really no one particularly local.

When we look at rescues we run into a "coverage" problem.

"On the Rebound" seems to be the local rescue but its not listed here or BCARN . And its compounded by the fact their most recent content seems to be from 2009.

So we look into Rescues in other local states (NC, WV, TN, KY) but in most cases they are too far away and/or they (for good reason) only place Bullies in their "local area" so they can keep tabs on them.

So we are kinda stuck! :*( We can always just keep checking with PetFinder but its a little frustrating as we would like to be more pro-active.

Any suggestions would be more than appreciated.

-DK

Last edited by a moderator:

marianne

May 17, 2012
WV
Bulldog(s) Names
Jenna
I adopted Jenna from a rescue not bulldog specific...they have all breeds but every now & then they do get bulldogs

OP
D

Derek Kolakowski

Jun 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Boddington of Fenway
I adopted Jenna from a rescue not bulldog specific...they have all breeds but every now & then they do get bulldogs

Thanks Marianne! We are keeping our eyes out on PetFinder hoping that might happen. Searching today in a 100 mile radius of our home only returned one "English Bulldog" related result

But we might have a tall order as want another Bulldog that has "the look", would prefer a female, must like dogs since we have Buddy already, and must like kids as we are doing some human family planning! :eek:

Last edited:
OP
D

Derek Kolakowski

Jun 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Boddington of Fenway
Oh... and sorry about the links [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]! I included them for disambiguation and proof that I wasn't being lazy and actually bothered to do research myself.

OP
D

Derek Kolakowski

Jun 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Boddington of Fenway
It was just suggested by a very helpful member that I sign up for the rescueme.org bulldog page. Thank you very much for the suggestion and I am not subscribed and confirmed. They didn't have any listed in Virginia at this point but maybe in the future. :2thumbs:

luseaann

Oct 3, 2011
Long Island, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Liz and Amy
I know it is not the preferred method, but I got Liz from a breeder in Tennessee. I had her shipped (actually flown in with an off-duty stewardess) to me in New York. I did talk to the breeder numerous times on the telephone and did internet search after internet search to hopefully make sure I was not being scammed. The breeder also sent me photos every week to see her progress. So it is possible to get a great dog that is not local to you. It's worth exploring.

OP
D

Derek Kolakowski

Jun 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Boddington of Fenway
I know it is not the preferred method, but I got Liz from a breeder in Tennessee. I had her shipped (actually flown in with an off-duty stewardess) to me in New York. I did talk to the breeder numerous times on the telephone and did internet search after internet search to hopefully make sure I was not being scammed. The breeder also sent me photos every week to see her progress. So it is possible to get a great dog that is not local to you. It's worth exploring.

Thanks for the suggestion Luseaann! We actually got Buddy from a local breeder and we love him to pieces! We are certainly open to going back to a breeder if need be but we wanted to exhaust our adoption options first. (Plus, I have to admit, we were looking forward to skipping the potty training phase! :yes:)

OP
D

Derek Kolakowski

Jun 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Boddington of Fenway
There is a bulldog rescue in north carolina.
Thanks Nyerathrt!

We had a look at Bullies 2 the Rescue (the rescue listed here) but its the same concern with the home visits, their two listings on here are from April, and being out of their placement area. (About 3 to 4 hours away.)

We also looked at Durham NC Bulldogs but they just refer back to BCARN with no dogs are listed in NC.

We will keep looking though! :)

OP
D

Derek Kolakowski

Jun 1, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Boddington of Fenway
Oh.. and we also looked at Smoky Mountains Bulldog Rescue in TN but it looks like we are outside the "East Tennessee general area" which is a requirement for them. (And understandably so!)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
We got HRH as a retired breeder from Missouri. Had her shipped here via transport. She was 3 1/2 But most retired girls I've seen offered since have been about 5.
she was "mostly" potty trained, we concluded the piddle accidents at first might have been UTI related.
She was well trained and very well mannered although she has unlearned some of those manners. (its Daddy's fault)
She does have MAJOR fear issues, but we have come to the conclusion that it's just part of her personality.
I'm sure it depends on the breeder what they do with their girls when it's retirement time, but it's another avenue that sounds like what you are looking for.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online