Why are there so many EB"s??

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
I am a very new owner to this breed as you may know. And for the life of me, with this breed not being affordable to many and them not being a common dog.. figure out why there are so many who need rescue? Is it a money thing? People just using them for breeding? What do you think are the common reasons?? Someday would love to adopt, but right now I have 2 dogs and my town limits how many dogs you can have. :(

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am not a rescue so I cannot answer for sure, but I have posted many of their stories here on EBN, so the reasons owners give them up vary.

Sometimes, it is because of a move, a divorce (which I don't understand how neither would want to keep their bully baby!) or they simply get "lost".

But I have seen all too many that were used for breeding (especially females) and then thrown in the streets and picked up as a stray. Can you believe they just dump them out like garabage when they are done? Disgusting! :guns::guns::guns::guns:

Then there is dog fighting. Like [MENTION=403]Champ[/MENTION]. Used for dog fights and then thrown into the streets.

Then there is probably the bulk of them that are simply given to rescue because the owners are just tired and don't know what to do to help their bully, vet bills, expenses, smell, skin infections, allergies.... one of the reasons we wanted to create this site. To help bully owners with information on what they can do to keep their bullies happy and healthy, so they don't end up in rescue. I know we have already helped so many, and it brings tears to my eyes that at least those bullies did not have to go to rescue. :heart:

But I think maybe if we ask this question to a couple of our rescue friends, they can give more insight about how and why so many are in rescue. I am a third party looking in- so of course I tend to look more toward the drama and sadness because it tugs at my heartstrings. But those who do this everyday will definitely have the answers you are looking for.

Champ Waring

Mar 30, 2010
In some areas, like ours (Miami), it is a status thing. They're an expensive, cool looking dog. So people buy without thinking it through....Can they really afford this breed? Are they prepared to deal with the health issues...or for the simple, yet not necessarily pleasant, daily cleaning? (I once told a lady many of them need their wrinkles and tail pockets cleaned and she looked like she was going to throw up, exclaiming EEWWW!!! yea....)
People impulsively buy a bullie at pet stores b/c they are cute wrinkly lil guys. Pet stores don't give a crap if this is the right breed for you. They just want the $$$. Many people tell us that they were not aware they needed to clean their wrinkles...now they're dealing with very infected wrinkles. They weren't aware they need high quality, low grain food...now they have skin allergies. They have cherry eye, what is that? No one told them about that. etc etc etc etc........ I hate pet stores so much b/c of this. Financing puppies? If you ca'nt afford the initial price tag, can you really afford routine care,food,etc. And again, they do no informing about the basics of the breed to make sure you know what you're getting into. Some people step up and roll with the punches and care for the dog; others dump the dog b/c they are so overwhelmed.
And the bottom line is........breeding breeding and more breeding. Breeders, backyard breeders, "hobby" breeder (bringing a life into this world should not be a hobby!), puppymills, and the couple next door who just didn't get around to spaying their bullie girl. It all adds up!!!!!!!!!!!

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Well said Champ! Any chance of expanding to N. Florida?

OP
LisaRN

LisaRN

Apr 24, 2010
Buffalo NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Chester
It's so sad..and thanks for that information. My husband and I were just talking about this and how many people are doing wrinkle care daily, sometimes twice daily. Buying fairly expensive bags of dog food..etc. Knock on wood - Chester has had no real health issues ... But we really try to practice "preventative medicine" here. Hopefully we'll be rewarded with few issues with him.

laurentourville

Wrinkle Wiper
Mar 23, 2010
Rockingham, VT
Bulldog(s) Names
Horse
Well said Champ! Any chance of expanding to N. Florida?

Champ's mommy just "retired" from her role in Adopt-a-Bull Rescue, I'm sure she'll be doing many more amazing things in her life though, although I don't know mommy Neely personally I am sure has big plans that involve helping others! (@%1;[MENTION=403]Champ[/MENTION]@%1; hope you don't mind me posting this!

gatorfan85

Mar 24, 2010
Orange Park,FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Mr.Beefy
I really dont think being able to pay $2g's and up really qualifies you to be a good owner. I am sorry but Mr.Beefy was given to me and he has a better home and is more taken care of then with someone who could have paid $$$$. I do agree that they should REALLY research the breed before they get one and make the decision to devote to a bully before they bring one into their home. The problem is the byb's and pet stores and also I think the registeries should use a little more scrutiny before they registered Joe Schmoe and Molly lue's litters . I went to a pet store here in Orange Park Fl a few months ago, idk why i think as a form of torture because I would NEVER buy or finance a puppy from there. They had two english bullies there, one about 12 weeks who was very listless and had crusties all over his nose I didnt want to leave him there and when I tried to ask questions they tried to go all over the place without answering me and had NO CLUE about english bulldogs, I cried the whole way home and if i had the money i would have bought him I even thought about financing him. It breaks my heart to see any dog in need and I have picked up so many dogs off the side of the road in the past, one that was a boxer who was thrown out when she was too old to produce anymore litters, but in the past 2-3 years I have seen a huge increase in English Bulldogs in Florida and it is getting worse.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I'm not in rescue, but I wonder if it's not a statis thing everywhere? Not just in Miami? I agree pet stores should be outlawed from selling puppies of any kind. They sell to anyone who can make a small monthly payment.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.