LA Ordinance Proposes Ban of Pet Sales at Pet Stores

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
that is great to see... I hope it starts a trend across the country. I have been to a puppymill raid and it is one of the saddest most inhumane things I have ever experienced in person.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I think this has been in the works since around last year hasn't it? I remember a previous discussion about it. I think it is a good idea, personally. Weren't they also thinking about requiring breeders to obtain a license?

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I like the idea of not selling dogs in a store. Holding an adoption is one thing but selling them no thank you.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Yes..it's been going city by city here. There is a movement statewide too. It's absolutely a step in the right direction. Sadly..the states where puppy mills are rampant will NEVER allow the big bad government getting in the way of the big bad dollar. Remember in Missouri..the Humane Society worked to get big improvements in Puppy Mill businesses..even passed a measure by the public..and their state legislature overturned it. Guess Puppies don't have millions of dollars to buy off politicians. :cursing:

:bang: Again with my soapbox

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
This is a good thing that I pray pray pray starts to move to other states as well!

OP
Vicaroo1000

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I am hoping that, like many things, this starts with a seed and grows into a giant tree. I can't imagine what raiding a puppy mill would be like.... it would be nightmares for me for the rest of my life. I can't even watch that one commercial on TV.... Oddly enough, the starving children commercials don't bother me.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Its a wonderful start. I hope it continues. [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] once you do a puppy mill raid it is ingrained forever, in that you are right.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Luckily it's been illegal here for as long as I can remember. It's not allowed so sell anything bigger than a gerbil. They cost less than 100€ so not that big of a business.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
It's a good idea. Most pet stores that sell lots of purebreed pups don't seem to be on the up and up. Plus I can't imagine that it's a good start for the pupies to spend their day in those showcase type displays I've seen.
In one of the big cities that I live close to...a lot of the petstores (Petland for example) have closed down. And I don't think anyone is having trouble finding a good dog because of it! :)

gracoliv

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Gracie and Oliver
We need to all write our City Council's and state that we want it!

PeterPanAndWendy

Jul 27, 2011
Lindsey, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Pan Cake
We need to all write our City Council's and state that we want it!

In Ohio they're trying to pass laws to have harsher penalties against animal abuse - I think its HB 70 or 108.
But you are so right, it failed once before (that's why there's another number). We need to get involved and tell our elected officials what we expect from them...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online