Bulldog(S) on Craigslist - what do you all do when you see one listed?

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Missi -- With Gizmo and Hershey never far from my heart
In the past Week, there has been TWO Bullies posted on Craigslist in Northern Delaware - what do you do? who do you contact who can do something? I'm not in a position to add anyone else to the family, but I have no problem playing Bully Taxi -

Looking for any insight for when I see them listed - (neither were 'Free to good home' either)

Thanks!

ABEBD

Feb 18, 2011
Phx, Az.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
By many names depending on the situation?
Hi,

While I think a ad source such as Craigslist is OK, it depends on what was for sale.

What was the price, where were the puppies at, why are they being sold? Are these puppies by the breeder, are they available for inspection at the home/kennel?There are so many scams in every type of dog breed and buyer be aware is not common sense for many people.

Do a ad search and see how many "For Sale" websites pop up for all types of animals.

Everyone can help to educate the public about scams. What to look out for and what are problems and concerns with low-priced Bullies.

Good Day~

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
To be honest..I don't look! I know..I know..bury my head in the sand! I find I get too upset if I see any critter in need. Craigslist is famous for people getting dogs off of to use in dog fighting. The thought terrifies me and I can't look and not be prepared to intervene. It's wrong on all levels..I know. But it's my limit line..

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well the two in particular were adult dogs, one was listed as 2 years old and healthy - I think the other was 5 years old with allergies, 2 different ads, on different days etc.

I just hate seeing it, and since I didnt hit the powerball, I'm not independently wealthy or anything :p

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
well... if you are me you buy one. ugh.... Thats how I got my Miila, saw her and fell in love. BUT often times people are stealing them and then trying to sell them on craigs list as rehoming which is awful and many are scams as well. I do usually send them a note offering them to check out or consider rescue for rehoming but funny enough I NEVER get any replies. They always want money.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Well, I watch craigslist about once a week and have never seen one (phew!) but if I DID, I would contact a rescue and let them know the post is up. Whichever one is closest.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
I found Gio on a similar site, eBay classifieds. The family we got him from wanted to know who they were giving their dog too which makes sense, but luckily for us they truly loved Gio and denied Gio to 3 other people who were interested in him. They denied the other people because they didn't know the breed/ or they sounded "sketchy". But sadly I don't believe this is the case for most of the dogs on craigslist and similar sites, the sellers are just trying to get some $$ and don't care who they dog goes too! I also look at these sites weekly to see, and just a few days ago the most adorable bully was put on craigslist and I am so tempted but just don't think I can handle 3 dogs! I want to so badly, poor guy is only 1 and who knows who these people will sell him too!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Call one of the local rescues ... they may be able to get the people to surrender

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I just emailed the Long Island Bulldog Rescue and sent them the link and offered to help with transportation. I can't believe New England doesn't have ONE bully rescue:cursing:!!! I really hope they can do something for this adorable guy! Do rescues usually take bullys off of craigslist?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] I just emailed the Long Island Bulldog Rescue and sent them the link and offered to help with transportation. I can't believe New England doesn't have ONE bully rescue:cursing:!!! I really hope they can do something for this adorable guy! Do rescues usually take bullys off of craigslist?

Rescues do try if they have the room, but a lot of the time the so called owner is looking for the $$$ or it is a puppymill trying to sell of the older dogs they have abused for years. :angry:

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
@RaRett I'm not sure I understand the thread. I'm thinking you are referring to that someone trying to sell an Adult bully on Craig$list is wrong.. and to that I agree that Is is wrong...

However, ¿if you are a breeder and trying to sell puppies what is the difference by which means you advertise the puppies?
(Personal website, CraigSList, Ebay, Word of Mouth, Newspaper ad, Etc..,)

I found Jack's breeder on CraigSlist. Jack had been returned by the original purchaser and was already 8 months old so I took it that the breeder went to CraigSlist to post pictures of Jack to find a new buyer.
I'm glad he posted on CraigSlist.... if not, Jack would have never been in my life...

Last edited:
OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@RaRett I'm not sure I understand the thread. I'm thinking you are referring to that someone trying to sell an Adult bully on Craig$list is wrong.. and to that I agree.

However, ¿if you are a breeder and trying to sell puppies what is the difference by which means you advertise the puppies?
(Personal website, CraigSList, Ebay, Word of Mouth, Newspaper ad, Etc..,)

I found Jack's breeder on CraigSlist. Jack had been returned by the original purchaser and was already 8 months old so I took it that the breeder went to CraigSlist to post pictures of Jack to find a new buyer.
I'm glad he posted on CraigSlist.... if not, Jack would have never been in my life...

Jack,

I was on Craigslist, and just scanning the site when I came across a listing for an English Bulldog - it sent shutters down my spine, but then I got busy and didnt act on it, 2 days later I noticed a SECOND Bulldog listed -

I did not contact the 'advertiser' so I'm not sure all what the scoop is on them - other than the brief descriptions - I didnt know if I should try to contact a rescue with the link or what. That is why I asked what others do when they see them :)

OP
RaRett

RaRett

Oogle Me on Google
Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama I just emailed the Long Island Bulldog Rescue and sent them the link and offered to help with transportation. I can't believe New England doesn't have ONE bully rescue:cursing:!!! I really hope they can do something for this adorable guy! Do rescues usually take bullys off of craigslist?

There is an organization in New England that helps with bullies, rescues, transports etc. Drop me a PM and I'll give you their information, oh they are all over Facebook too! :)

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
rescues will take the bulldogs if there is room, but they will not pay for them... so someone needs to get them out of those homes and then take them to a rescue.. it breaks my heart..

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I got both Bullie and Angus from craigslist.

Bullie's mom contracted multiple sclerosis and it was very rapidly advancing. She went from normal to can barely walk in under 2 years. Bullie would brush against her legs and she'd fall down. I got Bullie when she was already 3 years old. She gave me a thick envelope full of every single vet visit complete with receipts. It even had her first tooth in it. I got her blankets and pillows and toys and food and clothes and collars, etc. etc.

Angus was the opposite. Angus' dad got him as an 8-week old puppy from a reputable breeder then a few days later lost his job. Angus was 9 months old when I adopted him. Because of the dire circumstances his dad was in, I did not get a single thing with Angus. He didn't even have a proper food bowl. He tried to keep Angus - even forgoing his own food... but he felt bad for Angus so he decided to swallow his pride and get him adopted.

Most ads for EBs I see on craigslist are backyard breeders trying to sell off their puppies. They usually ask over a thousand bucks for them. Some even make the bold move of putting it in the For Sale section instead of the Community section! You can usually smell these ads a mile away. Especially after the first contact.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.