No bulldog rescue in your area but you want to rescue one?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I know sometimes adoption is a hard thing to do.

You think to yourself, I am capable, willing, loving, and I want to adopt a bulldog!

Most rescues will NOT adopt out of their area. They do home checks prior to adoption, so if you don't live within their zone, you will not be approved.

But don't give up! Keep in contact with your local shelters. English bulldogs end up in shelters everywhere throughout the USA. And..... they get put to sleep.

Also, look for BULLY BREED rescues as well. Many bully breed rescues also have English Bulldogs or English Bulldog Mixes.

Don't give up. Your bully-mate is out there.

Please keep in mind that many rescues will not adopt to families with young children or other pets. This is for the safety of the family and the bully- placing an English Bulldog who has not been evaluated for a long period of time in that enviornment is high risk, and they want to be certain the bully has found it's FOREVER home.

Be open and honest with the rescue about your home habitat and find out up front if you have a chance for an adoption. Many bullies are children friendly and other dog friendly, so yes, it can be possible to adopt.

And don't forget to check with your local shelters too!!!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy

Siobhan Johnson

Sep 20, 2011
Hello,

I guess on a curtain leave I understand that rescues and shelters have to do what they have to do. But, I live in Michigan where there seem to be virtually no available english bulldogs. Also, I don't want to be on a waiting list anywhere from five months to five years with no inkling of if I can finally have my long sought after english bull dog. I have been gearing up to get an english for approximately 3 years now (I say three but my husband and I have been dreaming to get one for longer) . I have bought a dog friendly apartment, considered carefully the price of a high maintance breed, planned out carefully what I will need for an older english bulldog and vet services as well as done several other things like researched to buy an english...with no luck. I can not get a puppy, my complex will not allow it. I have to get at least a 6 months old. I also really don't know what to look for if I get my older english from a breeder or seller (more importantly, am I likely to find a breeder or seller anyway). I am not looking for this thing to be easy. I am just looking for the best, fastest, most cost effective way to get an english bulldog without jumping over several hoops, paying through the nose for an animal that the rescue is not even sure is "really" healthy and being a slave to some animal rescue (mother's maiden name, phone number, date of birth, what color is your car, you must tell us if the dog ever gets sick or if you have a child (and yes, all of these questions I have seen on rescue applications) and you end up asking yourself, what am I paying this rescue for so they can have too much to do with a service I have already paid them for... I don't think so. I am a little fed up with the hunt and the hassle. Does anyone have anything to say about this whole process and what I can do to make it more understandable and ultimately own a somewhat healthy english?

Last edited:

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Hello,

I guess on a curtain leave I understand that rescues and shelters have to do what they have to do. But, I live in Michigan where there seem to be virtually no available english bulldogs. Also, I don't want to be on a waiting list anywhere from five months to five years with no inkling of if I can finally have my long sought after english bull dog. I have been gearing up to get an english for approximately 3 years now (I would say long because my husband and I have been dreaming to get one for longer) . I have bought a dog friendly apartment, considered carefully the price of a high maintance breed and vet services as well as done several other things like researched to buy an english...with no luck. I can not get a puppy, my complex will not allow it. I have to get at lease a 6 months old. I also really don't know what to look for if I get my older english from a breeder or sell (more importantly, am I likely to find a breeder or sell anyway). I am not looking for this thing to be easy. I am just looking for the best, fastest, most cost effective way to get an english bulldog without jumping over several hoops, paying through the nose for an animal the rescue is not even sure is "really" healthy and being a slave to some animal rescue (mother's maiden name, phone number, date of birth, what color is your car, you must tell us if the dog ever gets sick or if you have a child (and yes, all of these questions I have seen on rescue applications) and you end up asking your self, what am I paying this rescue for. I am a little fed up with the hunt and the hassle. Does anyone have anything to say about this whole process and what I can do to make it more understandable and ultimately get my english?

I know it seems like a lot to rescue any breed let alone a bully. First I'd like to say that I see many English Bulldogs on petfinder that are in Michigan looking for their forever homes. Now as far as the rescue/ adoption process goes I know it seems crazy but we have to understand rescue groups are in the best interest of animals who have been abused, abandoned, or given up because of no fault of their own. They're not going to want to adopt out if there's any possibility of the dog being turned back in, used for breeding, being mistreated or not getting the care and love it deserves. Many people think adoption is a cheap way out for an expensive breed, when the initial cost is actually the cheapest. Adopting can be time consuming, but that's because they're trying to fit the adopters with their perfect match. I'm not gearing my response to you specifically, just trying to help you understand why there are so many "rules" for adopting.

susanneroe

Nov 17, 2011
N/A
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Hello to everybody here at the forum.
I just moved from germany here to fort benning Georgia and i would love to find a rescue organisation to foster like i did in germany. If someone know a rescue team for Bulldogs here in the columbus area, please feel free to send me a message with some informatians.
we are having a male english bulldog what we adopted and we are looking for a female english bulldog to foster with the option , that she can stay.

thank you to everybody who can help me

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
[MENTION=3734]susanneroe[/MENTION] look at the rescue forum and bully's needing adoption here. They are split up by the different rescues. I believe there are a couple in GA. I don't know which would be in your area though. But the rescue contact info is there.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
I have not found any bulldog breed or specific english/french bulldog rescue in El Paso.. I would love for my next bulldog to be from rescue. I love my puppies and I was very lucky I got that money to be order to "purchase/adopt" a puppy. But rescuing is what feels right to me.. All my other dogs have always been rescued or given to me from families that didn't want them. My mom actually has a dog that she picked up from the streets of Juarez, Mexico she nurtured her, hospital for 1.5 months. She is missing her teeth, one eye and she has turned out to be the LOVE of her life. Right now I am IN LOVE with bulldogs, so I don't know if I can open my home to other breeds.. but I would like to put in an application for a bulldog rescue club, even though I probably won't qualify d/t having two young children and a bunch of doggies.. but it would be on there just in case the right bulldog shows up!! I am taking Katara to training classes with a trainer that is coordinator of the great dane rescue of El Paso, so I think she could give me information and point me to the right direction :)

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I go to Petfinder often as I would love to adopt another EB or a frenchy, there are some but i dont think they are in El Paso.Lone Star Bulldog Rescue is in Dallas TX and Chunky Trunks English Bulldog RESCUE is in South TX. Im sure there must be some near you.

Most Reactions