I have a New Baby - or rather a senior

sleet

Oct 23, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Dulcinea (Rosie)
After making a trip to my favorite pet food store (Ma and and Paw Bakery, I learned about a senior female bulldog that needed a permant home, Well - I jumped right on it! She had been kept as a breeder in a cage for years and her nail were at least am inch long and growing into her paws.She spent the majority of her life in a cage on cement, I feel in love with her immediately and took her home. Her name is dulcinea (from the bar maid in Man of La Manch, but we call her Rosie. She has a very hard time walking because she was caged most of her life. She is now spayed, cherry eye fixed, Entropion eye surgery that failed, arthritis. hip and shoulder problems and arthritis, but she is now venturing out on the lawn a little more every day. We love her to pieces and even though the vet thought she should be put down or have #1,00000 more surgery - we opted to do our best to feed her a top rated grainless food, exercise her as mich as she can handle and just love her to pieces for as long as we have her until her time is up.

Thanks to the great rescues out there and the great dogs that deserve a second chance. The vet says she is between 4 and 7 as she is missing most of her teeth, Bummer - I want to have her a long time, but she is really crippled. I have a 1/3 of an acre of grass and bushes to explore so maybe I can rescue a a younger bully one day. I'm retired and my husband is an invalid challenged because of lack of oyygen to the brain during a heart attack, but he loves animals and loves watching after thn - so we have lots of time and and space to devote to raising bullies. Because of my husbands problems, he always has someone staying with him so the dogs are never left alone as I have someone stay with him while I am gone My name is sleet on the site, but really is (Kathie). I would love to hear from any owners of senior bulldogs or those looking for good homes for bullies in Salt Lake City, Utah at some point. Nice to meet you all!:begging:

Last edited by a moderator:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Re: I have a New Baby - or wepp a senior

:bravo:.. Your story is heartbreaking AND heartwarming ALL at the same time. You are a hero to me..and I'm of the belief..if this sweet girl only lives a few months or hopefully..years..she will have had a taste of Love and that's so incredibly special. Love her and as you already know...that love will come back a million times to you. So glad you joined..and we will all love getting to know you. You will find lots of support here! Thank You!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)

Oh my gosh your story brought tears to my eyes. Rosie is so blessed to have found you and your home to grow old in. Love can go a long ways so hopefully she will thrive with you for quite some time but if she doesnt at least you know she knew love and the thought that there are so many who dont is just sad. This is one lucky girl! Please share pics!!!

OP
sleet

sleet

Oct 23, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Dulcinea (Rosie)

Too bad I can't spell - the title should have said "rather a senior", Sorry haven't figured out how to fix things yets.

OP
sleet

sleet

Oct 23, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Dulcinea (Rosie)
Thank you so much! It probably won't be the first mistake I make. But thanks and bully hugs to you!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I wish you were in front of me so I could hug the stuffing right out of you! Rosie is a lucky girl.

Now, where did she come from? Can I have the physical address of the individuals responsible for this poor girl's condition? I'd like to visit them. You know... Just say hello.....

OP
sleet

sleet

Oct 23, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Dulcinea (Rosie)
I don't know where she came from. I was told she was dumped in a shelter in Idaho. We'd all like to give her previous owners an "education" on animal care (with a 2 x 4) - did I say that! All we know from the condition she was in was that she was kept in a kennel most of her live. She would only go to the bathroom on the patio cement. Her toenails were over an inch long and curled into her paws making it unable for her to walk. The vet said she had numerous c sections - but now she is spade, her nails clipped, her cherry eyes fixed (except for daily lubricant gel to relieve the eye pain) she is doing well. She seems to be very happy now - eating well and even starting to walk on the grass a little bit. She goes about 6 feet and falls down (guessing that's how big her cage was). I can't imagine life without her. I also have a 4 year old boxer who tries to play with Rosie, but quikly gets put in her place. Thanks for your comments. I'll post pics as soon as I have time. Have to run an errand.

Last edited:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Really nice to meet you, Sleet! Your story about Rosie is a beautiful one. Sounds like she was meant for you and you and your hubby were meant for her. I'm looking forward to hearing lots of stories about Rosie and her adventures and to seeing more pictures of this sweetheart :heart: !

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
I believe there is a special place in heaven for people who rescue dogs. Thank you for helping this girl. Your story touched me. Can't wait to see pictures.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So happy you found Rosie, she sounds like a very sweet girl. It angers me how some people treat their animals. At least Rosie will have a great life now and can live out the rest of her life full of the love she deserves. Kudos to you for taking her into your family.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome and bless you for giving Rosie a chance at a great new life

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.