Gone Too Soon Rusty, We Will Always Love And Miss You Terribly!

Rusty

Aug 27, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Rusty
2010-03-09 14.27.44.jpg

08-07-10_1747.jpg

02-15-09_1503.jpg

05-20-08_2009.jpg

06-30-08_1932.jpg

My bulldog's name is Rusty and he passed away on August 2, 2011. My family and I decided to help Rusty by getting an Elongated Soft Palate and Stenotic Nares surgeries along with getting Rusty neutered (since the doctors kept insisting that he can get cancer in the future and etc). It was on Monday that Rusty visited the vet with joy because he remembered where he was at. The poor fella didn't make it and at times of grieving my family and I felt like he should of have lived longer without surgeries, it feels as though our decision to benefit him in the future, was his mark on his destiny to leave us, we could of had Rusty just laying and relaxing with our tile floors, air condition for the summer, keeping him warm for the winter, and doing what we have been doing for years for him to just live a little longer. Though my family and I truly know within our hearts, that if he had died by not proceeding these opportunities to help him, we would have been even more miserable by being foolish to not proceed a typical surgery for breeds like Rusty that have been done in our times to help our bullies out. Rusty turned only 5 years old on May 30th, and he was still my little brother with so much lifetime to live for. He was only half way there compared to many bulldogs that live a little longer. I recall that Rusty had finished his surgery at about the times between 1PM- to no more than 3PM... My mother and my father went to pick up Rusty at about 8:30 PM. We were all excited that he was returning home but obviously anyone would still be concerned on taking care of him at all times so he can recovery safely and quickly as possible. I asked my parents, after seeing Rusty weak with a little blood from the nose which eventually dried up after mom cleaned him up, why was he sent home and not watched at the vet because of so. My mother told me that they do not have someone to watch him at the vet all night and they sent Rusty because they felt he was fine. That night he fell asleep and I believe he was still weak from the anesthesia. In the early morning on Tuesday August 2, 2011... before my father was ready to head out to work he told me he saw Rusty came out of his doggie crate (from my parents room since mom was watching him constantly) and he took a pee pee and poopy outside my parents room. Rusty then returned to his crate and went peacefully back to sleep. Later that same day, an excessive accumulation of fluid/mucus was dripping out of his nose (and a little pinkness/light red color was shown). Before I state what happened next, it is important to know that our vet did not from morning to afternoon time contacted us to know how Rusty was doing. The day Rusty was picked up after the surgery by my parents, the vet only informed us that for three days you may hear noises as in gurgling because of his Palate surgery. Now during the afternoon on August 2 at about 2 PM-2:30 PM my brother, mom, and I decided one of us had to tell the vet what we were seeing from Rusty's nose. The secretary told my brother to hold on, for she was going to ask the doctor. She then told my brother that the doctor said that it was normal. Not even 5-10 mins my brother saw that Rusty stood still with his front paws and forearms straight forward and his back legs stretched backwards (resting on his tummy)
and it's like he stood still with his eyes opened. So my mother tried to help him thinking we had a chance to save him, or he was in a coma, or someway a chance for doctors to give CPR or something... Many of these random thoughts came naturally... my mom tried to gently with water to whip his face... she got him out of the crate and repeatedly as my brother was worried sick tried to convince my brother he still alive as he was getting the car to head to the vet with my mom, but I left at 2:30 PM to head out to work but didn't know Rusty would pass away like so. My brother skipped red lights, went on one ways, my kid brother did everything so fast to get Rusty to the vet as soon as possible and many people that saw him do these things got out of the way for they noticed my mom holding Rusty.

My father in the meantime called the vet to get ready for my mother and explained overall what was going on and to please get the door ready for my mother who was carrying Rusty in. Guess what?! Nobody opened the door except a care taker who was there for his companion as well. The vet doctors my mom told me were all in one room (most likely speaking amongst themselves), and took Rusty in a room to "help" out but he was gone. When the doctor told the news, my mother asked how can this of happened, while the doctor in response said I don't know, then after a pause he said that he thought Rusty had a "heart attack", and my mother in response said how can he have had a "heart attack" when he was perfectly fine before surgery, healthy, and had checkups along with blood test that he was perfectly fine to proceed with the surgery that the doctor was confident that he can perform all of these surgeries in one (as well as assuring my family that he has had experience with these surgeries). Finally, the doctor said I don't know, the only way we can find out is by performing an autopsy. Right now this is all I'm letting you know of what has happened. But for now, I want Rusty to be remembered. He was truly one of a kind in looks and a personality of a most sensitive and loyal bulldog and my mother's 4th little son, who to me I am not ashamed to say he was my little brother. He understood us when we were sad and happy. Rusty did not ask for so much. We feed him Royal Caine Bulldog food, no junk food like people who give too much fat bacon or sausage, we were so on top of him it's a shot to each of our hearts, how you can lose a special companion when you did every single thing for him and more to be healthy and to live longer with us. It kills me that his destiny was cut short like this. Now here I am writing on this forum because I found it on a search engine and wanted people to help me and Rusty deserves to be known.

Rusty we love and miss you terribly...

Thank you Lisa for letting me know where to make this thread.

Last edited:

VoicesInMyHead

Jul 15, 2011
Phx, Az
Bulldog(s) Names
Arwen Undomiel
I am so sorry for your loss... he was truely a great looking bully! I am thankful for the time he owned you :), and wish it could have been more for both your sakes! Great pictures, I'm sure you will always have him in your hearts. R.I.P.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I am so sorry to hear of your loss ......... Rusty sounds like a beautiful and noble soul who touched all of you deeply. It is so difficult right now but soon the grief will lessen, and you will remember Rusty as being one of the special souls that touched your life and made it better and more meaningful.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
My heart breaks for your loss. I can see how much love you had for your little Rusty. He was indeed a handsome fellow with such an adorable face. Thank you so much for sharing Rusty with us..., I'm so sorry for your loss of your dear, dear Rusty.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I am so deeply touched by your wonderful tribute to your friend and I thank you for sharing with us. Everyone here feels your sorrow and a lot of us know your loneliness. Just please know...you gave Rusty a great life..you were trying to help him live a better life. Someday you will be past this pain and remember him for the happiness and love he brought to you. In the end...it's not important how he died...but how well he lived with the love from you and your family. I'm so sorry.

DoughnutsMom

Jul 18, 2011
Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Doughnut
We are so sorry for your loss. What a lovely tribute to such a beautiful baby boy. Our thoughts and prayers are with all who loved Rusty.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
4caff1b1-fb8c-6228.jpg

Thanks for sharing your story. Rusty was amazingly beautiful and he looks so happy and healthy in his pictures. What a tragedy that this happened to you and it makes me cry too. I know how painful it is to lose a bully and it takes time to heal. I will remember Rusty and know that he was loved very much and I'm sure he had the best 5 years of life a bulldog could have. Rest in peace little brother.

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
thank you so much for sharing such a beautiful boy with us! The sorrow will lessen over time, but he will always live on in your hearts and memories.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
Oh my goodness... I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm crying over here... and I don't even know you. But now we know Rusty and his story. Just know it'll be had for awhile... but he's with you each and every day. Watching you. He'll be waiting for you and your family at the Rainbow Bridge.

Do not stand at my grave and weep,I am not there; I do not sleep.I am a thousand winds that blow,I am the diamond glints on snow,I am the sun on ripened grain,I am the gentle autumn rain.When you awaken in the morning’s hushI am the swift uplifting rushOf quiet birds in circling flight.I am the soft starlight at night.Do not stand at my grave and cry,I am not there; I did not die.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
My gosh I am soooo sorry. Your story has brought tears and sorrow to my heart for you and your family. Rusty certainly was a beautiful boy and just try to know that he is still with you and forever will be. Losing your best friend is the hardest thing but it will get better as everyone has said. He was so lucky to be loved so much and you are so lucky to have had him touch your life for the time that he did. Thank you for sharing your story, as hard as it must be. Can only imagine how frustrating this must be and how many regrets you may have BUT you did the best for him that you could do. Unfortunately we cannot tell the future. :*(

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am very sorry for you and your family. Rusty is very loved and a beautiful boy. Just know that he is watching and waiting for you. Your family made the best decisions for him and truly wanted him to have a better life.

My heart goes out to you. *hugs*

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Rest in peace little brother Rusty, you were a very beautiful boy. I'm so sorry for your loss, you were trying to give him a better life but he had to go to Rainbow Bridge where you will meet up with him again someday. Thank you for sharing his story and he will be forever in your heart.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Rest in peace Rusty. Prayers of comfort for your grieving family.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online