The passing of my beloved Sir Winston Edward "Pumpkin Doodle"

OP
airmike1

airmike1

Jul 6, 2011
Jacksonville, Florida, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliott.
I would also like to thanks to the additional following people here who have touched me with warm thoughts:

Becky "Jakeisgreat", Fontanafox, BruceP, KMARINO, LucysMum, Kim Sebastion n Oliver, Desertskybulldogs, Cali baker, Michellek, andsavemejeebus .

Wow, I am really grateful of the nice folks here on this forum who responded to my memorial to Winston. I really wished that I found this forum years ago instead of now after Winston has passed. However, I am glad that I have found the nice people here where we share a common interest, the love of our English bullies. As I work through the grief of missing Winston, it has been therapeutic to look at all of the pictures of everyones bullies. The nicknames really harmonize with the unique personalities of these gentle creatures. Thank you, again.

Mike Sutherland

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
oh my heart hurts for you as well. :heart: thank you for sharing your BEAUTIFUL story..and remember on the days when it is hard, that you beloved FRIEND wants to look down on you and see you smile.. he doesn't want you hurting.. hang on to the wonderful memories.. we are all in this together.. nothing in life is forever EXCEPT love and the two of you definetly experienced that.. he was lucky to have you and you were to have him.. Hang in there..
BIG HUGS

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I would also like to thanks to the additional following people here who have touched me with warm thoughts:

Becky "Jakeisgreat", Fontanafox, BruceP, KMARINO, LucysMum, Kim Sebastion n Oliver, Desertskybulldogs, Cali baker, Michellek, andsavemejeebus .

Wow, I am really grateful of the nice folks here on this forum who responded to my memorial to Winston. I really wished that I found this forum years ago instead of now after Winston has passed. However, I am glad that I have found the nice people here where we share a common interest, the love of our English bullies. As I work through the grief of missing Winston, it has been therapeutic to look at all of the pictures of everyones bullies. The nicknames really harmonize with the unique personalities of these gentle creatures. Thank you, again.

Mike Sutherland

and please stay on the site.. we are all friends through our bullies :) we will help you through!!

SirWinston

Jul 7, 2011
Columbia, SC
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Winston
Our bully is named Winston, too. We're so sorry for your loss. He looked so adorable with such a cute face...I can't imagine how much you had to go through in an event like this. We love our bully so much it hurts. May he rest in peace.

OP
airmike1

airmike1

Jul 6, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliott.
Tomorrow (Saturday) makes one full week since the passing of my Winston. I never would have imagined how tough of a journey this has become, and that I yet face. Today, I brought Winston's ashes home. He loved being home with me. With a part of Winston home, I feel a little (just a little) at peace. Maybe I am on the right track to dealing with the grief?

I did however, overindulge on Dove dark chocolate candy and am now writing this as my stomach settles down. I could only imagine the glare that my Winston would give me while sitting at my feet as I am eating that candy...you know, the head tilt from the wrapper making the noise and the elephant ears with focussed stare at the candy in my hands. I have been enjoying admiring at many of the bully pictures from the members of this wonderful site. The many pictures show how big and wonderful the personalities are of our bullys. The collective idiosyncrasies of our bullys are so amazingly similar.

Thank you, everyone, for being here for me!

Mike

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Aww Mike..I have found bringing the ashes home was so hard. I cannot go pick them up. Once they are home..I usually decorate the cans they arrive in..with their names and something silly I remember most about them. Sigh. I don't get fancy urns..just the cans..brightly colored paper on them and my artwork! I have a shelf in my hall closet..that currently holds an abundance of these precious cans. We've told our daughters..suppose someday they can spread ALL of us together in a favorite place. We do what we have to and I think you are doing just fine. I'm so sorry this had to happen and you are missing sweet Winston. You will ALWAYS have a hole in you heart that's just for him. But eventually you will smile when remembering him...and because he was a bully..I'm sure you will laugh out loud. :hug:

Also..bananas counteract too much chocolate! This I'm an expert on!! :yes:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry for your loss of Winston, and sorry this is late. I know how if feels to loose a good friend and remember he will always be with you in your heart and through the memories, until the day you are again joined together. He was a beautiful bully and we will miss him also.

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
I am so sorry for the lost of your Best Friend just know he is waiting to pass over the Rainbow Bridge with you. :*(

OP
airmike1

airmike1

Jul 6, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Elliott.
I am fortunate to have found a very nice community of bulldog lovers here on this site! Thank you, to everyone with their warm thoughts and helpful suggestions. Reading the comments on this site along with viewing the pics of these fine bullys has helped me in this difficult time. With one week (this day) of Winston's passing, I am finally turning a page and feeling a bit better. With Winston passing so sudden, and me away for the week, it took several days just to acknowledge the fact of what has happend. So now, I have moved into more of an acceptance mode, eventhough I did not see him for the preceding 7 days before Winston suddenly passed away. Not seeing him hurt the worst. Purhaps, maybe there is an underlining reason beyond my comprehension as to the timing? Only I will know when my day arrives.

Now, I have decided from this point on, no more gloomy writing from me...it is time to start moving on and be helpful to folks that have English bullys that have questions or need help. After all, it is so nice to talk about our 4 legged kids:)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I am so sorry for your loss. I lost 2 dogs last year and I feel your pain. What a wonderful tribute and I do hope you can find another wonderful friend to keep you company when you are ready. Those pictures are so great. :hug:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I am so sorry to hear about your loss of Winston. Here's a poem I hope you find comforting in time. I found it the day after we lost one of our boys this past January - he was 12.5. Time will heal your heart.

Do Dogs go to Heaven

My little bully passed away, no more breathe a sound.
I held him for the last time, then entombed him in the ground.
Day and night I wept so much, in tears I thought I’d drown.
I searched my soul for comfort, but no peace therein was found.

In great despair, I hit my knees and then began to pray.
“Father will I ever see, my dog again someday?”
I raised my eyes and saw an angel standing near a gate.
I sensed an inner peace I’d never felt before that day.

The angel smiled and said to me, “Oh man of little faith!
God sees every bird that falls; He knows your bully’s fate.
I have met your little dog, I saw him pass my way.
Your precious dog is still alive; he just walked through this gate.

Paradise is lovelier than you can comprehend.
No pain or grief, no tears or fears, and life will have no end.
God gave to man His only Son, to cover all his sins.
So why would God withhold from you your pure and loving friend?”

The angel took me by the hand and said, “Now come with me.
A glimpse of paradise I’ll give, to you so you can see.”
Through the gate and o’er the Rainbow Bridge we did proceed.
Through green valleys filled with flowers, rolling hills and trees.

“Wow, so this is paradise!” The place was filled with joy.

I saw my bully playing there, with dogs and cats and toys.
He also had some doggie treats, and food that he enjoyed.
He’d made a lot of new friends there, including girls and boys.

Then I saw a child come near, and hug my little mate.
She said to him, “I love you so,” and kissed him on the face.
The angel said, “The child just crossed the Rainbow Bridge today.
Now she needs a little friend, to love and help her play.

God’s love for her would be enough, in that make no mistake.
But in His love, He knew full well, the child would want a mate.
This is why God called your dog unto this splendid place.
God’s entrusted her with him, “till you pass through the gate.”

I pleaded, “May I hug them both?!” The angel answer, “No!
You’d violate a sacred site, and now it’s time to go.”
He led me back across the Bridge and through the gate to home.
He left me there with new-found hope and peace within my soul.

If someone ever asks what happens to a dog that dies,
Just give a gentle smile of joy and look them in the eye.
Take their hand and comfort them and tell them not to cry.
For dogs don’t die, they simply cross a bridge to paradise.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.