CHESTER KABLE HICKMAN June 6, 2003-April 24, 2011

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
We got Chester early in November, 2003. He was Mack's brother and wasn't for sale when Mack picked us for his forever parents. We had Sophie Marie (rescue Red Heeler) at home so we weren't concerned about Mack being an only dog, but we did mention that if she decided to sell Chester we'd be interested! Towards the end of October we got a call from the breeder that Chester was for sale, so over to Portland we went to get him. He had cherry eye so we figured we'd neuter the boys right away and get that eye fixed at the same time. That was when we found out that Chester had a very small trachea. We knew then that Chester would have special needs and require extra care.
We celebrated Mack and Chester's first birthday by getting them laser palate clips. Mack's was easy; Chester was in surgery well over an hour, he was a real trooper!
Meanwhile we had sold our business and property in Central Oregon and moved to N.E. Oregon in Feb. 2005. We lived in the workshop area of our barn while our house was being built. Yeah, 2 dogs + a neighbor Jack Russell that was left alone, 1 cat, & 2 people--those were very close days! We had noticed that Chester was very playful but didn't have the stamina to go for walks so I'd spend time just playing with Chester; then take Mack for a long walk. Chester resented those walks--maybe I'm nuts, but about the time they turned 3, Chester started picking fights with Mack. At first Mack didn't fight back; but eventually he did. We had to keep them separated at all times.
Progress on our house was slow but that's how things are when you live at the end of the road. One of the electricians who worked on our house brought his son up to play with the Bulldogs early on. He was 10 and had always wanted a Bulldog. Brock would come to work with his dad every chance he got so he could have some Bulldog time. As the Bulldog fighting escalated here the solution became apparent. When Chester was 3 years and 3 months old he became Brock Hickman's dog. We talked to Brock and his parents about Chester's small trachea (snug 6) and the importance of keeping his weight down and making sure he didn't get overheated! They took such good care of him. They had other outside only dogs, Chester was fine with them. Their kitty accepted Chester; Chester knew how to treat a cat. A year ago Hickmens got their daughter an inside dog, a little Boston Bulldog. Chester got along fine with her. Chester had a good life; Chester got what he always wanted, his own kids! We love you, Chester. Rest in peace.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Very sorry to hear about Chester...it sounds like he had a wonderful life. I hope you can take comfort in your warm memories of him and your time together. :hug2: Hard to lose them....

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm so sorry that Chester has gone, but it really does sound as if he had a truly wonderful life. Now he is waiting at Rainbow Bridge for his family to eventually reunite with him.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
What a beautiful story. So sorry for your loss. It is good to hear what a great life he had. :hug2:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Sorry to hear he passed, but good to hear he had such a good life. Off topic, My son's name is Brock. :)

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
Sorry for your loss but sounds like he had a wonderful life, hope these words are a comfort to you> Miss me but let me Go, When I come to the end of the road, and the sun has set for me,I want no rites in a gloom filled room, Why cry for a soul set free. Miss me a little - But not too long, And not with your head bowed low,Remember the love that we once shared Miss me alittle - But let me go.For this is a journey that we all must take and each must go alone, Its all a part of the Masters plan, A step on the road to home,When you are lonely and sick at heart,Go to the friends we know and bury your sorrows in doing good deeds. Miss me alittle - But let me GO

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Sorry for your loss but sounds like he had a wonderful life, hope these words are a comfort to you> Miss me but let me Go, When I come to the end of the road, and the sun has set for me,I want no rites in a gloom filled room, Why cry for a soul set free. Miss me a little - But not too long, And not with your head bowed low,Remember the love that we once shared Miss me alittle - But let me go.For this is a journey that we all must take and each must go alone, Its all a part of the Masters plan, A step on the road to home,When you are lonely and sick at heart,Go to the friends we know and bury your sorrows in doing good deeds. Miss me alittle - But let me GO

That's so nice .. it made me cry.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Goodbye Chester. Thank you for making a young lad so happy. You've forever left an imprint in everyone's hearts.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Such a sweet face and sounds like he had a wonderful and happy life. Words never can heal but know we all feel for your loss.

OP
Alice Kable

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Chester's life wasn't as long as we all hoped it would be, but he did have a very good life. Thank all of you for your kind words!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
R.I.P Chester and I am so happy that he had such a happy ending and made a boys life happy as well! :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thank you for sharing Chester with us Alice. It was lovely and so glad he lived a good life and blessed you and your family with such happy memories of him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.