We lost our bully :( 4.24.11 - 12.09.18

Rebecca Giardina

Aug 7, 2015
California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
GusGus
It's been 2 days and it still feels surreal. I have never experienced such shock and pain in my life.
Gus was only 7 and had only just started getting senior side effects. He started getting seizures last year, but I was able to help him and he hadn't had once in 9 months. Friday morning he started waking in the AM and would collapse in the kitchen and lose bladder control. This happened again Saturday and Sunday. Obviously this was put down as old age, but non-the-less, I called our vet and got him an appointment for 4pm Sunday.
I went to make my bed and realized there was urine all over the carpet where he had slept. Poor babe must have peed in his sleep. So I got the bath half full and shouted him over, we lifted him in the tub and I began washing him (baths are his favorite, especially the drying portion!). He'd only been in the bath maybe 5 minutes and I had washed his back and legs and as I put my hands on his face, his body went limp and he laid in the water. This has NEVER happened so I yelled for my husband. My husband tried lifting him up and his body was dead weight and suddenly his breathing changed. Not a lot, just longer breathes. I was holding his head above the water so we drained it and I kept my hands around his face and his breathing stopped for a second. We yelled his name and he looked up at us and continued the steady breathes. Until it went silent. And that very second, we knew he had opened his eyes to say goodbye.
I have never seen my husband cry the way he did. And I kept my hands around Gus' face petting him. I sat with his body for 30 minutes until a family member came and got me off the floor and calmed me down enough to tell our kids what had happened.
Calling the vet back to cancel our appointment was the hardest call I have ever made. They offered to store his body until the cremation service can collect him, which is today. And I am falling apart. My husband left town with work so I am alone, the kids at school and our 1 year old dog is walking around confused still. Gus' harness is hanging at the door waiting for Gus. I can't accept that he went so quickly, with no major distress signs. I've never lost a dog like this. I never had a bond with any human or pet like this. I'm angry at everybody and everything. I checked my phone every 2 minutes all of Sunday afternoon, waiting for the Vet to call and say Gus was awake.
I don't know how to move on from this when everything reminds us of him. I have salt dough paw prints all around the house, photos and paintings everywhere. He was too young.
I take comfort in knowing he passed in my arms. And he was there for all 3 babies of mine (our last was born 2 months ago and Gus was always watching over him!) but now I hurt to know if I have more kids, Gus wont be there with us. Halloween wont be as fun (he sat at the door making everybody pet him!) and car rides will be lonely without his chunky face slobbering on the seat and door.
gus1.jpg gus.jpg gus3.jpg gus2.jpg

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
We send our condolences. Thank you for sharing; what a beautiful boy and how good to know that Gus was in your arms when he took farewell. I understand this is a very difficult time for you. We think of you, your family and your angel boy.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
[MENTION=14651]Rebecca Giardina[/MENTION]

I am so very, very sorry for your loss. As I read your post the tears streamed down my face for I felt your pain...in your words. I have no words that could possibly relieve you pain but I can pray to God that he somehow replaces that ache in your heart with warm and joyous memories of your dear Gus.

My thoughts and prayers will remain with you and your family. Again, I am so very sorry for your loss.

Sue

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I am so sorry to be reading this. This story brought tears to my eyes and I know nothing will make you feel better but my thoughts are with you and your family.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=14651]Rebecca Giardina[/MENTION] I am sooooo Sorry. I am crying, as you post is so sad and I have been there,too. I remember Gus Gus, as he was so cute and handsome. Gus heart must have given out. He had so much love in it,and I know he gave some to all that he met. I know nothing can get you through this, but you must try to dwell on all the good memories, and love that he spread,and gave to you all. He was there for you when you needed him, and when you had babies,watched over everyone in good and bad times. No matter how long we have with them, it is never enough, as they are such loving people(don't seem like "dogs" at all).I do know how much you will miss him, how much you hurt, and how your other dog will be looking for him. Just know that Gus Gus will be waiting to see you again someday, and in the meantime, he is with many other loved pets, running and playing, telling all about how much he was and is loved, about the babies he took care of and his Mom and Dad.
It is so hard, but there may be things going on with him, that you didn't know, and you must be greatful that you were with him when he passed, and he was not alone, and he did not live suffering pain. Please know that there are many here who DO know the pain and heartache, understand and will be praying for you.
Someday, as time passes, you will want and NEED another pup, not to take his place, but to add to the love that Gus brought to you, your husband, and children(and Gus' buddy..:heart::heart::heart::heart: Gus Gus is watching over you and your family now.....:angelheart:There will always be Gus Gus's place in your heart forever.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I am very sorry for your loss, crying my eyes out. Sending prayers and strength your way.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
Oh my gosh. I am so very sorry. It is so heartbreaking and I wish I could do something to ease your pain. Just remember how much you loved him and how much HE loved you, also how special it has been to have him in your life. The memories, as bittersweet they are right now, will carry you through.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
My heart is in my throat with tears. I’m so so sorry. Not much anyone can say or do. One thing, Gus was in your arms and I know that’s where he wanted to be. :yes: Cherish the memories and never forget, he’s right above watching you all.

R.I.P. Gus. :angelheart:

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
I have no words to say how sorry i feel for your family, i just cant imagine how it feels. He was a lucky Bully to be with you all and so loved.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Your story literally brought me to tears... I'm SO very sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine what you and your husband went thru that day, what a horrible shock for your family. I have lost many beloved pets, but not in that manner... PLEASE know that we are here for you, and many of us understand the grief that you are going thru. Be kind to yourself, and understand that you WILL get thru this one day at a time. ((HUGS))

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Omg.....
so sorry for your loss.
Prayers for you all and know Gus is now watching over all of you from above in no distress or pain.

NicosMom

Jan 23, 2015
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Nico & Lexi (RIP Tia 6/08-5/19)
I am so sorry for your loss, I understand completely as we went through this 5 years ago with Zeus (5 years old and his heart just gave out without any warning). Gus was a beautiful boy and I wish I could give you words that would help through this difficult time. Again I'm so sorry for you and your families loss.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My heart is shattered for you... I cried through your words—- it is a pain we all know too well.

We are all here for you and send you tons of bully love and hugs.

Gus had a wonderful life with you and he will ALWAYS be in your heart.

Rest In Peace Gus.. you will be missed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.