Our 'Baby', has crossed the rainbow bridge.

Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mugsy, Baby (RIP), & Romeo
Hello everyone,

It's been a few years since I've posted, but seeing as this forum was so kind to us when we had our questions about our Mugsy and then inheriting Baby after the death of my father-in-law. Thought I'd share last night's events with everyone. ----By the way, if you want to catch up on her story: http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...29807-tragedy-comes-little-bit-happiness.html

So, in a nutshell, this dog had been through a lot. She had health problems, and psychological problems stemming from witnessing her owners gruesome murder. So yeah, we took her in, reunited her with our boy Mugsy and slowly she became a happier dog again....still some trauma present though. With her health issues, we had started noticing a growth on her right back leg...looked like a skin tag at first and the vet told us, if it wasn't bothering her, it wasn't a big deal. He also said it didn't look cancerous. As time went on, it would grow a bit more....until it was the size of a tennis ball, by this time she was already 11 years old, and the new vets told us "since shes a brachosephalic(sp?) and an elderly bulldog, that it wasn't that great of an idea to put her under for the operation. We agreed. Besides, her quality of life was still pretty darn good. She'd eat regularly, play with Mugsy ALLLL DAY, had a bed i was jealous of, a toy box full of toys to choose from, and all the treats she could want.....

....until this week.

I received a phone call at work from my wife telling me that Baby was laying in her bed panting, and isn't getting up to eat. When my wife tried to hand feed her, she'd sniff and turn her head. So I told her she might be in pain. Turns out she started licking and gnawing at her growth and it was getting infected. We called the vet and since they were familiar with her and the growth, they prescribed an antiseptic spray and told us to monitor it for a day or 2 and to try to feed her some rice or something yummier than the regular food she would eat. So we did....she had some risotto with butternut squash, cheesy treats and some ham....but yesterday morning she wouldn't even sniff them. We noticed her breathing a bit labored and we knew she was in pain. So we made an appointment with the vet. Since my wife and I both had to work, we made sure she was comfortable and had her water bowl close by while we were at work.

We made an appointment for 8pm and i had to carry her in, because she would just plop to the floor if she tried to stand. The wait was unbearable....but the process was quick. Doctor told us it would take about 30 seconds, but she was gone in a fraction of that time. They prepped her, put on the catheter and port for the injection and we wrapped her in her favorite blanket while my wife whispered in her ear, and I stood by scratching her butt which was one of things she lived for. She told her "Pop is coming for you, when you open your eyes, he will be there with Uncle Bulldog!" (uncle bulldog was their first bulldog that she grew up with, years ago).

Pictured below is Mugsy (left) , and Baby (right)
squishy.jpgFB_IMG_1507292000019.jpg

Last edited:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am sop sorry for your loss. I is never easy losing a fur baby.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=2709]Mugmug[/MENTION] I am so sad for you. Having to lose one is so difficult, and never gets any easier. You can comfort yourselves, knowing that you gave her the best life while she was with you!They always seem to let us know when they are ready to go to the rainbow bridge,though we are never ready for them to go. Sending prayer for you to heal and remember her with smiles-instead of tears.:pray::pray:

OP
Mugmug

Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@Mugmug I am so sad for you. Having to lose one is so difficult, and never gets any easier. You can comfort yourselves, knowing that you gave her the best life while she was with you!They always seem to let us know when they are ready to go to the rainbow bridge,though we are never ready for them to go. Sending prayer for you to heal and remember her with smiles-instead of tears.:pray::pray:

Thank you! Yeah, I explained to my wife about animals having a way of letting us know "it's time".

Saddest part is that Baby was so stressed about being at the vet that even in her state, she tried to escape and just couldn't walk...she already lost her voice, so she couldn't even whimper or cry...it got to the point that, i believe she realized something was happening, and she relaxed a bit...she started panting and getting uneasy when the doc came in, but once they sedated her, she fell asleep and went peacefully.

I'd like some insight as to how to deal with Mugsy looking around the house for her...will he be ok?

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
oh my heart hurts for you. When even we dont know them personally, we know the love they give and the hurt it brings to loose them. Im so sorry you had to go through this, and not that your a 'believer' but a dear one from here told me the other day......... "we should rejoice that they go from our hands to the hands of God"... how much better can that be. It hurts still, but to keep in mind all the ones there to greet them helps. Sending love and prayers for peace, and i do hope your Mugsy will handle it well with the help from you. :pray:

OP
Mugmug

Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
oh my heart hurts for you. When even we dont know them personally, we know the love they give and the hurt it brings to loose them. Im so sorry you had to go through this, and not that your a 'believer' but a dear one from here told me the other day......... "we should rejoice that they go from our hands to the hands of God"... how much better can that be. It hurts still, but to keep in mind all the ones there to greet them helps. Sending love and prayers for peace, and i do hope your Mugsy will handle it well with the help from you. :pray:

I'm not a true believer per say, i'm spiritual in my own way, but my wife and i found comfort believing my wife's father was coming down to pick his dog up and take her back with him and uncle bulldog.

Thank you for the kind words everyone! Truely appreciated.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so sorry for your loss, it's never easy to say our goodbyes or to let a beloved fur baby go. We feel quilty when we make the decision to help them cross over the bridge, but know that it's the most loving and selfless act we can do for them, and they tell us or show us when they are ready. You have Baby the best care and a loving home, and she felt that love. Baby you were loved, and you will be missed. RIP sweet girl. My heart aches for you and your family, and know your hearts are sad and that you have grief. I hope that eventually your hearts will heal, and when you think of Baby, you will smile at her memories. Mugsy will miss her, and she may show signs of sadness or depression, just love on her more with extra attention, maybe socialize her with other bullies if you can. Maybe when you are ready, a new sibling for Mugsy may help all of you. Take care.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So incredibly sorry for the loss of this sweet Baby! You gave her a wonderfully full life with lots of love! Thank you for sharing her with us

rest in Peace girl... Pop and Uncle Bulldog and waiting to play.

:angelheart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'd like some insight as to how to deal with Mugsy looking around the house for her...will he be ok?

I just saw this part.... when we lost our girl, Banks -- Cheli our frenchie went into a depression, we tried everything for two weeks to get him to play, eat, engage with us -- it was heartbreaking, almost worse than the loss of Banks. We had to get him a new buddy so enter Lambeau.

Try to keep him occupied, play, walks, extra loving time.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Yes, I agree. Some dogs mourn,as we do, and then they adjust. Other dogs just don't adjust, and need a new buddy. You will have to see how i t goes for Mugsy. Two weeks should be enough time to see if Mugs is doing alright. [MENTION=2709]Mugmug[/MENTION]

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
So very sorry to here about your Bully, it kills me when i read these posts and to be honest i am a coward and very rarely do read these posts because i get too upset myself at the thought of anyone losing there beloved Bully. It sounds as though she was loved dearly and was so lucky to find your family.

OP
Mugmug

Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you, everyone for your kind words. It has been most therapeutic for both my wife and I talking about our loss.

Here's a little update, Thursday night, after we sent Baby on her way, my wife allowed Mugsy to sleep in the master bedroom... His bed was placed the and he's been comfortable... Really just living in the moment. Ever morning when we come down stairs he looks around and gives us confused looks as he's having his breakfast. He was used to having breakfast next to baby.

To be completely honest, we haven't seen a change in his behaviors or any signs of depression...it might still be too soon perhaps?

Things aren't the same in the house, though. Even though we know this was for the best, something is missing. Mugsy is all energetic and baby would just walk around the house sniffing things and searching for what piece of furniture would scratch her butt best.

Not sure a new pup is in the picture at any point in the near future since my wife and I are expecting our 1st child in about a month. Mugsy's new best friend! 20171008_142527.jpg20170526_131726.jpg
received_10210860437896081.jpeg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.