Gone too soon.. our hearts are broken

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
It's this type of community that helps us through a tough time like this. From the bottom of my family's heart, we thank you for your kind and thoughtful comments.

Getting back into our regular routine (for the sake of his sister Juice) has been tough for the three of us because he was such a big part of it. Putting away his harness and his collar hurt so much yesterday. I didn't realize how bad it was until I started bawling while picking up his poop in the back yard. Grown *** man bawling with a bag of poop in his hand, now that's a good look.. smh.... If any community would understand, it's this one.

I also have a question for the group. With the sudden and tragic loss of Bogey we're obviously devastated and will take time to heal, but almost as if God had intended, Bogey's last litter is due in two weeks. We are not looking to replace him as we know no two dogs are the same, but I can imagine that this is a rare opportunity. Most importantly we want to give ourselves, especially Juice, enough time to grieve the loss. Because we are also expecting a baby in December the wife thinks that we can do it if the breeder agrees to keep the pup until about 5-6 months. We have a great relationship with the breeders and this would more than likely be a non issue for them. Just the thought of having Bogey's legacy running around the house makes my heart flutter. Am I out of my mind or is this something you would jump at the opportunity? Cheers!

I would love to have a piece of my baby with me, and this is the perfect way. I think Juice will also appreciate it if she's grown fond of having a companion. Alot of times when you have two, and one goes - the other becomes depressed. Your new one will never replace Bogey, he is one of a kind and will always remain in our hearts - but having a piece of him still with you may help with the healing - I say go for it - 100%. I can't even imagine your pain. When our day comes, and I know its inevitable - I will need to be medicated - I'm sure. Hugs from TX.

OP
B

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
I have to agree... When, could this chance come again.... I would put in the 'offer' or question of intent, and then just let things happen as you heal. Putting that out there, and so you can let that part go while you come to grips with the loss, seems like something that would be good for all. Again, I'm so sorry for your loss and oh how it scares me even more. My boy is so active and I can only hope it's because he's able. I feel your heart, and even the poop part... really :(

The breeders came to the vets as soon as they heard we were headed there. We're part of their breeding program and both Bogey and Juice are active in the program. Since we were introduced to them, they have been a part of our extended family and can't imagine a life with bullys without them. They are fantastic beyond belief. They were originally going to keep a female pup from Bogey's litter but asked my wife (as I couldn't string together a proper sentence with my sobbing) if we would be interested in a boy or girl. The breeders knew that the timing was a little off but wanted to console me the best they could. Their offer and intent are as genuine as can be.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I would definitely go for it. Very smart if you can wait after your child to be born. An infant needs a lot of our attention. Teaching a pup to potty train plus an infant waking up every few hours is a lot of work. Maybe the breeders can train your new pup. But yes, if my Nyala would leave that fast n I know her blood pups were going to be out there I would be the first to get one back in my life. I would want to have one that looks just like her. Go for it!

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
In my opinion, whatever you want to do is fine. One dog cannot 'replace' another but they can certainly help to ease your broken heart and you would be giving that dog a wonderful home. When we had to put our lovely Sadie to sleep because of her seizures, we were heartbroken. We said we would wait a few months and then see. We lasted two weeks. I went to shelters, "just to check", and there was Chumly. When Chumly died (nearly 3 years ago and I am still grieving) our wonderful Monty came along and we give thanks for him every day. It is whatever you feel and having an offspring of your beloved boy, well, I for one would jump at the chance!

Hankster

Community Veteran
Aug 27, 2016
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
hank
The breeders came to the vets as soon as they heard we were headed there. We're part of their breeding program and both Bogey and Juice are active in the program. Since we were introduced to them, they have been a part of our extended family and can't imagine a life with bullys without them. They are fantastic beyond belief. They were originally going to keep a female pup from Bogey's litter but asked my wife (as I couldn't string together a proper sentence with my sobbing) if we would be interested in a boy or girl. The breeders knew that the timing was a little off but wanted to console me the best they could. Their offer and intent are as genuine as can be.

Cant get better that that! considering the situation, I think you have been blessed with some goodness to help the healing. Just an awful awful shock to get through and cant help but saying how sorry I am... again. But having those wonderful people behind you, you can now get on with the sads,(just gotta let it happen so it gets it's self worked out of you), and hopefully get so much out that the joy will follow soon. ps.... when's baby due???

OP
B

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
Cant get better that that! considering the situation, I think you have been blessed with some goodness to help the healing. Just an awful awful shock to get through and cant help but saying how sorry I am... again. But having those wonderful people behind you, you can now get on with the sads,(just gotta let it happen so it gets it's self worked out of you), and hopefully get so much out that the joy will follow soon. ps.... when's baby due???

Still in shock. I relive that day everyday since. Going over every detail. Maybe this is a coping tactic?

Baby is due in early December. Ideally, if we could get the new addition in mid January - February that'd be ideal. Mom has got the first 6 months of the year off and it will be my turn come this time next year. Grandparents will be here to help out too for the first month so that is a plus. I'm looking for this community to give me a pinch to make sure I'm not complicating things. With that being said, I get warm fuzzy good feelings with the idea of having Bogey's legacy running around playing with Juice. BTW Juice has never been a only dog in the house so that's playing a role in our decision. Thanks so much for everybody's input, it really means a lot.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I can NOT put into words how sorry I am for your loss... my heart just breaks for you and your family. I want you to know that MANY of us on here have lost our babies suddenly... we know how hard this is for you all. I agree w/Chip that it sounds as if something else was going on w/Bogey not a heat related incident... not that this changes the outcome or anything. We know how much you loved your sweet boy... :cry:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I would go for the new pup... I waited a little too long when we lost our last baby, and you know here is my thoughts. Life is TOO darn short, so we should enjoy it while we can, and LOVE all those pups that come into and out of our lives. NO we can't bring another one back, as much as our heart wants to BUT we can open our hearts to love more. I have found that my heart just expands whenever a new baby comes into our lives... ALL of them are different and have their special quirks, but I have LOVED each and every one of them :heart:

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I am so very, very sorry for your loss!!! Bogey was so young!!! I can only pray for your comfort and peace. I hope that remembering Bogey brings a smile and not a tear for you. God Bless You and hugs from Joey and I

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
OH my goodness, I am so so sorry!! My heart is breaking for you and your family!! Rest in peace Bogey!!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I am so sorry for your loss. As others have said, he did have a great day and you were there for him, which I hope will be a comfort for you and your wife. Re a future puppy, it seems as if circumstances are very good with breeders, you and your wife being at home next year, etc. Just make sure you all feel comfortable with the decision as having a baby is a big change in life (although being bulldog parents has prepared you well!). You might like to think of a dog walker helping you out once a day or so the first months as I can imagine walking two dogs in the winter with a newborn baby in a pram or perhaps in a baby carrier might be tough.

We're thinking of you and thank you for the lovely pictures of your boy.

OP
B

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
I am so sorry for your loss. As others have said, he did have a great day and you were there for him, which I hope will be a comfort for you and your wife. Re a future puppy, it seems as if circumstances are very good with breeders, you and your wife being at home next year, etc. Just make sure you all feel comfortable with the decision as having a baby is a big change in life (although being bulldog parents has prepared you well!). You might like to think of a dog walker helping you out once a day or so the first months as I can imagine walking two dogs in the winter with a newborn baby in a pram or perhaps in a baby carrier might be tough.

We're thinking of you and thank you for the lovely pictures of your boy.

Thank you for your kind words. It means a lot to have people understand the pain we are going through.

It will be tough no doubt especially with the winters we get in Canada. But at the end of the day, which ever way we look at it, we know that having Bogey's pup , Juice and the new baby will be the most fulfilling for us. I'm researching how to introduce a puppy to a newborn now.. It looks daunting but we're up for it! With that being said, does anybody have any experience with introducing a 5-6 month old pup and a newborn? Cheers!

Kalyn

May 1, 2014
Western KY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
So very sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine this. Keep in mind, there is no wrong way to grieve.
Having a puppy from his line is an opportunity that won't come again. It would be fabulous to have that little piece of him.
Again, I feel your pain and hope all works out for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Sorry for your loss!!

Getting one of Bogeys pups sound like a good idea in my opinion but I have never had to deal with two dogs and a newborn all at once. I would think the pup and newborn would have a great bond that would last for many years

KING OLLIE HOUSE of BULLDOG

Dec 29, 2016
Florida
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
King Ollie
This past Saturday we lost our Bogey. He was just over two years old and was the world to me and my wife. Bogey spent the day playing with his sister Juice on our bed (being on the bed is rare for them) and playing with friends at the annual bully picnic. It was a warm day but not humid and there was a nice breeze all afternoon. The picnic was in a shaded area, Bogey was drinking plenty of water and even played in the pool with his friends. No signs of distress whatsoever. On the car ride home, the AC was on full blast. At first signs of laboured breathing we stopped to get lemon juice. By the time we got home (12 minutes later) Bogey had a heart attack. He took his last breaths in our kitchen floor in my arms. Devastated is an understatement. He was supposed to meet our first baby in December and look out for them. We were supposed to grow old together. I miss you so much B.View attachment 106513View attachment 106514View attachment 106516View attachment 106517

So very sorry to read this. It's just heartbreaking. Know that I am thinking of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.