Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
We have had a terrible day today, a terrible weekend really. Unfortunately, we had to put Spielman down today at 4 years 4 months. He was a great dog, but he was a very dominant dog. He loved my wife and I to a fault, and for 4 years he loved both our 19 year old daughter and 15 year old son as much as they loved him. But for some strange reason, Spielman became aggressive a few weeks ago toward my son.

Out of the complete blue, he would be fine one minute and the next thing we knew he would charge and attack him. He bit my son once after trying to attack him three times one evening. I have been around dogs and owned a lot of dogs and have never seen anything like this. Spielman knew many commands, although he could be defiant at times and strong willed, he was still a well behaved and obedient dog. I have always been able to be the pack leader, my wife learned with Spielman, but my kids never reached that level with him despite me trying numerous times to teach them and explain dog behavior to them.

After discussing the first attack evening with our breeder, she recommended a shock collar which we tried. He responded to the vibrate mode well and learned quickly one evening that his behavior wasn't acceptable. You could see in his demeanor and body language when he would start gearing up for aggression. But after a couple of good weeks where he showed no signs of aggression at all, he attacked when my son was scratching his hind end which was Spielmans favorite. Spielman would move as you scratched him to a point where he wanted your hand to be scratching. Then suddenly he attacked and clamped down on my sons are with all of his force and locked. My son had a hard time retrieving his arm. My wife jumped into action and blocked him from further attacks. I was not home. It was terrible.

After much deliberation, reading on here and other sites, my wife and I decided our only option was to put him down so he could not injury anyone else or as a result himself in the future. We were afraid if our breeder placed him in a new home, even one without kids, he may snap and injure someone and we would be responsible. We just couldn't bring ourselves to risk someone being seriously injured or maimed by Spielman.

It was so hard. The vet checked him over and nothing could be found to be causing Spielman's aggression and the vet agreed with the euthanism.

My wife and I held him as the vet put him down. The pain is enormous for both my wife and I. We miss him so. We know we had to do it and we made the only responsible decision, but it doesn't seem to ease the pain. He was otherwise a great member of the family. Tragic end and a lose lose situation. My sons arm is healing with no infection so far. We are grateful he didn't get bit in the face. It is just so hard for us to understand. There seem to be no good reasons for any of the behavior. My kids were nothing but kind to the dog. We just hate it happened.

RIP Spielman.

Attachments

• s[iel9.jpg
    s[iel9.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 198
  • spiel.jpg
    spiel.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 190
  • spiel1.jpg
    spiel1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 196
  • spiel2.jpg
    spiel2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 197
  • spiel4.jpg
    spiel4.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 196
  • spiel3.jpg
    spiel3.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 199
  • spiel5.jpg
    spiel5.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 196
  • spiel6.jpg
    spiel6.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 201
  • spiel7.jpg
    spiel7.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 193
  • spiel8.jpg
    spiel8.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 188

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=7028]Hstead[/MENTION] I am so sorry to hear about Speilman. Losing them is so difficult,even more so when we have to make the decision ourselves. You made the only decision that you could, and also a good decision to be there for him,though it is heart breaking. Sending many prayers for you and your family. :pray::pray::pray::pray:

OP
Hstead

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
Thank you. We appreciate the prayers. I have had to have dogs put down before, but they were terminally ill and in pain. It was not nearly as difficult when you know you are ending pain and misery. Spielman was not in pain and otherwise healthy that we know of. That has weighed so heavy on my wife and I.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I was in you're shoes almost 2yrs ago. My German Shepherd Major 8yrs old, 115lbs top shape all muscle was the same but with other dogs, cats, birds horses whatever was an animal. Till his new target was small children. That was the day I did the decision. He was trained to a T but something clicked in his brain. Vet said the same thing you cant do anything at that age when the brain escalates to the max. There is no way on this planet I would allow any dog touch a child especially at that size. Family dog or not, part of the family or not, a dog is a dog...it's an animal. You will always miss Spielman like I miss Major. I think of him often but, it is what it is. We need to move on. You n your family will be fine. :yes:

OP
Hstead

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
Wow. I had a German Shepard named Major as I kid, he was basically my dog even though he was a family dog but I took care of him the most and he was by my side at all times. He was the first dog I ever had to put down when I was 16 because he had cancer in his spleen and became too sick to walk. He was a great dog. He was the dog that taught me how to be the pack leader way back then. He and I won an obedience contest once he was such a smart dog.

Your post makes me feel better. Even though we know we did the right thing, it is just harder for some reason to think I put down a physically healthy dog, but I have to keep reminding myself and my wife he became mentally ill. Almost all of our friends and family understand and have supported our decision as the only correct one, but there are two ladies where my wife works that think we should have given him away etc. People do not realize the strength and power some dogs have like your Major. These dogs are incredibly strong and can not only permanently disfigure and even kill someone.

We still have a German Shepard now that is a great dog, going on 12 years old and thinks he is a puppy. He helps my son deal with this as he loves my son to like no bodies business.

Thanks again for all of the prayers and support.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
How sad for you and your family, I am so sorry.

It sounds like the start of a neurological problem. At about 7 yrs of age our American Bulldog suddenly started going for our cats (amazingly did no damage) and we would have to muzzle her or keep them separated. Not too long after that (I can't remember exactly how long) she started having seizures. The seizures eventually caused us to have her put to sleep as they were so bad and the meds were no longer helping.

It is an awful thing to have a seemingly physically healthy animal put down but you did the right thing as he was not healthy in his mind and your family's safety is paramount. Remember all the good times and that he was sick, just in a different way.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Wow. I had a German Shepard named Major as I kid, he was basically my dog even though he was a family dog but I took care of him the most and he was by my side at all times. He was the first dog I ever had to put down when I was 16 because he had cancer in his spleen and became too sick to walk. He was a great dog. He was the dog that taught me how to be the pack leader way back then. He and I won an obedience contest once he was such a smart dog.

Your post makes me feel better. Even though we know we did the right thing, it is just harder for some reason to think I put down a physically healthy dog, but I have to keep reminding myself and my wife he became mentally ill. Almost all of our friends and family understand and have supported our decision as the only correct one, but there are two ladies where my wife works that think we should have given him away etc. People do not realize the strength and power some dogs have like your Major. These dogs are incredibly strong and can not only permanently disfigure and even kill someone.

We still have a German Shepard now that is a great dog, going on 12 years old and thinks he is a puppy. He helps my son deal with this as he loves my son to like no bodies business.

Thanks again for all of the prayers and support.

GS are the best. If you click on my profile you will see Major on my bike. They will always be there for you. Extremely overprotective for the family. Not always good. Nice you have another one. 12 yrs old is great for a GS. :2thumbs:

Again, you did what you had to do for everyone's safety.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
You should not 2nd guess the reasoning/motivation behind your decision. Something was going on with Spielman...I'd guess that it was probably neurological in nature. If he was attacking and biting then he clearly wasn't himself. As hard as that decision was to make, you made the right call...for Spielman as much as anyone. You have my deepest sympathies.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sincere condolences to you & your family for Spielman's loss. Such a handsome boy!

I hope your son doesn't blame himself (as to be the reason), there is no logic to mental
illness. It is harder to put a seemingly healthy dog down but it's only because we can't
SEE the wound. It's there tho and you did the right thing and the only thing. I'm sorry
every one can't agree, as you say, they don't fully understand all the dangers. You can't
live with a dog that isn't trustworthy even if it isn't his fault.

Praying for y'all to heal from the sorrow felt and think of him in better times with love
and gratitude. Spielman is at peace now and that's a great thing, hugs to y'all.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with everyone's comments above, you made the best decision and the only decision you could. It was best for Spielman and for your family. I also agree with Pam that Spielman was sick, just in a different way. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this sad time, it is never easy to say goodbye to a beloved pet, and even harder when you have to make that decision of when to let them go. My Dad had a Black Lab named Jake, and he loved my Dad so much, but one day he started to get aggressive towards my stepmom, and it gradually got worse, until one day when they were on a walk, Jake lunged at my stepmom, and bit her hand, he ripped her skin and did damage to the tendons in her hand, she needed surgery and stitches. He also started to growl and show aggression towards children in the neighbourhood, and so my Dad made the decision to put him down. He didn't want him to attack anyone again, or to hurt a child, especially because we have 7 kids under the age of 9 in my family. It was a hard decision for him to make, but was the best and safest thing to do for everyone.

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
I am so sorry for you and your family. Such a difficult decision but the best decision for your family and for Spielman. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers. RIP Spielman

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Such a horrible situation for you all... so very sorry you had to make that decision and commend you for being able to do so.

hugs and prayers to you and your family... I hope your son is doing well

rest in peace Spielman.. run free and happy with all our babies at the bridge.

OP
Hstead

Hstead

Nov 14, 2012
Ironton OH
Bulldog(s) Names
Spielman (RIP) Bolt
Thank you all. It is helpful to read the kind comments. I made my wife a collage and had it printed 20x30 and framed it for her for Valentines Day. I found the funniest card with a bully on it too. Made her feel better. We will get another one day when we are ready. Might be a while, but we will know when I am sure.

Attachments

• collage2.png
    collage2.png
    521.3 KB · Views: 172

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Beautiful, beautiful gift. [emoji29]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online