rlgdguy

Jun 8, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
We had to put our buddy Harley down due to his quick and rapidly declining health issues. This is our story.......

In March 2006, I drove from Boston to Cleveland Ohio to meet with Jane from Bullie Haven/Angel Rescue out of Chicago. She agreed to meet me halfway between Chicago, which was close to Cleveland and she was picking up another dog in Cleveland anyway and it would hopefully work out for both of us.

I had always wanted a bulldog since I was a kid, but being renters, we weren't allowed to have a dog. We were in the process of house shopping and ended up getting the dog before the house (Thank you to our then Landlord who knew the house was in the works!), but it was coming soon we knew. I also knew we could not afford a bulldog puppy, do not support puppy mill breeding for pet stores and really wasn't looking for one either. I knew other people who had rescued other breeds of dogs, simply because it was the right thing to do and all of those friends recommend I do the same. It was basically a no brainer so online to rescue sites I went. I had been talking over the phone and through emails with Jane from Bullie Haven/Angel Rescue (sorry if I am getting the name wrong. It was 10 years ago after all) back and fourth and looking at different bulldogs she had up for adoption, trying to decide the right dog with the right circumstances, personality, etc that would work with my family and our lifestyle (which was pretty boring and ordinary, just saying). I had done extensive homework prior to our searching for our house on the breed and was armed and ready to get just the right companion for our family and what we needed to keep him happy and healthy (proper nutrition, vet visits, excercise, things to avoid, etc.) for a long time to come hopefully. I did look closer to home, but there just didn't seem to be many dogs that seemed like a right fit for us, so my search took me further west online and there is where I found Harley. Harley was described as very healthy, somewhat high energy yet a sweet and kind bullie boy that was living in an apartment for the first 3 years of his life. The owners were not home very much and Harley started to get a little separation anxiety, but not so bad quite yet. The couple was also getting a divorce and thought giving him up for adoption was the best thing to do for Harley, which is good that they did for our sake!

I met right outside of Jacobs Field with Jane, her son and a 3 year old bulldog named Harley. I also brought along my cousin Karl to help me split up the drive (9 1/2 hrs each way), but he ended up being sick and not any help in that department. He still came along for the ride though and I appreciated that. When I first met Harley, he was a little bigger than I expected at 55 lbs (being my first dog, I didn't really know what weight to size ratio was in person :) ) and pretty much ignored me. After a few minutes of relieving himself and a quick introduction, up into my minivan Harley jumped and the bonding trip home began. Well I learned very quickly about bulldog flatulence and how important their dietary needs were (I immediately tried Royal Canin, gradually as instructed and had excellent results). We were given some kibble for the ride home and some inexpensive dog chew toys, which I ALSO found out quickly how much of a power chewer Harley was, yikes! He had those toys shredded in about 20 minutes. We stopped a few times on the way home to stretch all of our legs, for water and some food. He was a very well behaved dog for the long ride I have to say, considering he had already been driving for about 7 or 8 hours prior to getting into my minivan. We got to Boston around 11:30 at night and the introduction to the family began.

Harley immediately did what all dogs do and proceeded to sniff the entire house and his new kingdom (which we had yet to know he would be king of this castle ,but soon learned). A couple of my kids were a little wary of him and a little afraid. This was after all their first dog and he was not a puppy. Fast forward 10 years and 3 months, just a TON of happy, funny, goofy, good memories and we came to realize fast that Harley was the best thing that ever happened to our family! We provided him a loving, happy BULLDOG SPOILING home :D and he provided us with more than he could ever imagine in return! Harley lived to be 13 years and 3 months old!

RIP Harley, we love and miss you so, so very much! :*(

Daddy

Last edited:

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
God bless you for giving him a home and all that love. My condolences to you and your family. RIP Harley!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Florasaurus

May 16, 2016
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bluebelle
He was adorable :) so sorry for your loss but so glad he had a nice long life with you all ❤️

keystnlabs

Dec 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Agatha Gump
What a wonderful tribute to him & to you. Bless you both. ❤️

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Beautiful tribute to your beloved Harley, I am so sorry for your loss of him.

Thank you for sharing his story & handsome boy with us & giving him a
forever home, what a lucky boy to know such care & love!

Would that ALL bulldogs enjoy life with us for 13 years & 3 months, Wow!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@rigdguy What a sweet tribute to your Harley, Harley and your family were definitely meant to be together. Many of us here have lost canine loved ones(who were our children) and we have deep sympathy for what you are feeling. He was such a handsome boy, and you got to spend many good years with him. Our prayers are with you. Harley does have lots of new friends at the rainbow bridge.:angelheart:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a beautiful story..... Harley is a great looking boy that had a great loving family.

Rest in peace handsome, love your freckles ❤️❤️

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww what a Beautiful Story and tribute to Harley. It really tells us of the love and bond you and your family had with him.
I am so sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to you. I know the pain and grief of losing a beloved member of your family. God Bless you for rescuing him and giving him the best life ever, he had a long and loving bully life because of you. RIP sweet Harley, you were loved and you will be missed.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
13yrs & 3months..... should be more like you out there. :yes:

Harley will always be with you in your heart. :angelheart:

Pennyblossom

Mar 4, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penny and Bristol
What a beautiful tribute and what a blessing you both were to one another.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I feel your loss and am very sorry , Bless you for what you did for him there so worth it so very worth it
TC I hope the healing process for you and yours comes quickly and as painless as possible it takes time go with the flow , My bet is you will have another of this wonderful animal we call a Bulldog , I hope so the Harley,s of this world need you and your family .

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I'm so sorry for your loss. And that is definitely a great story.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.