My very best friend

Sanddog

Feb 16, 2011
Sam, born July 28, 1999 died of heart failure February 12, 2011.

He was my best friend, my confidant and the light of my life. He was born in Georgia and moved with me to New Mexico when he was 6 years old where he discovered one of his greatest passions... SNOW! If there was snow on the ground, Sam wanted to be out in it making an elaborate network of crisscrossing trails in the backyard. His second greatest passion was running back inside and diving into a pile of comforters until he was wrapped up like a giant bulldog burrito, all warm and toasty.

I am grateful for every minute I had with him and I miss him terribly.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Hello [MENTION=1860]Sanddog[/MENTION] and welcome to the board.

I am so sorry to hear about Sam. I know how much it hurts to lose a bully - it's awful now but things will slowly get better and the grief with fade and your memories of Sam will last a lifetime.

If you have any photos of Sam, we'd love to see them but please know, you are not alone during this sad time.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Sanddog, I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds that Sam was quite the character!

bjsfarm

Jan 12, 2011
Narvon PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Butter Cup, Ellie, Double D & CJ. Jr., Max, Doc & Willie
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. and welcome to the forum! :)

Angelgirl

Dec 28, 2010
Pa
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
Sanddog, I'm so sorry for your loss of Sam. Even though they are gone, we have a gift that only bully owners have...to love and be loved by a bully. :heart: We'll see our babies again over the rainbow bridge. :hug:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
I am sorry you found us during this hard time. It is sad when someone looses a best friend, whether fur or skin. Sam has crossed the Rainbow Bridge and will be watching down on you daily.
Welcome to the site. I look forward to you sharing your stories and photos of Sam!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
So sorry to hear about Sam. I can't even begin to imagine the heartache of losing a bulldog. One thing you will NOT have to explain here, is how much he meant to you. How much love you have for him, or how much you will miss him. This forum is made up of such caring people and every single one of us has a huge part of our hearts that belong to our bulldogs. I hope that you will soon be able to tell us stories about him and show us photos and video of him. We are a huge gathering of bulldog lovers...and I hope you find us a place you visit often, and can even find comfort in.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am very sorry for your loss, I have a friend who wrote a wonderful book. I met him last year and he told me that if anyone loses their bulldog, he will send them a copy. If you would like one, please send me a message. The book is called "Bill at Rainbow Bridge". He wrote this book when he lost his own English Bulldog, and it was part of his healing process. It is a wonderful read, and I would love for you to have a copy.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I'm so sorry to hear about Sam. I hope you will show us his pics. This is a great forum. You will get lots of support and friendship here.

L

Lucy-licious

So sorry for your loss, Sam sounds like he was a fun loving boy :hug:

OP
S

Sanddog

Feb 16, 2011
Thanks, everyone. :)

I will post pictures of Sam once I pull them off my laptop. I just haven't felt like looking at them yet. I had to clean out Sam's bedroom (yes, he had his own room) yesterday. I washed all his blankets and sorted through his dozens of toys to figure out which ones could be salvaged and which ones needed to be tossed.

I have two other dogs, one a collie mix and one a black lab that we rescued several months ago. He's about a year and a half old and a real wild child who was not trained by his prior owners. We had to keep him separated from Sam because poor Sam was just too old and arthritic to tolerate an 80lb puppy who acted like he was two months old. Once he's a little more civilized, I'll start looking for a bulldog breeder within driving distance. I just realized this will be the first time in 32 years I haven't had a Bulldog by my side.

Libra926, the very things you mention are why I wanted to post a memorial to Sam here. Bulldog lovers know the level of attachment that's formed between a bully and their human. People who've never had a bulldog just don't understand why they're so different. I've had many other dogs and loved them all but my bulldog boys have always been particularly special to me.

MichelleK

Feb 11, 2011
Hi

I am so so sorry about your loss. I lost my 11 year old bully on the 30 January and I know the extreme heartsore that you are feeling. My thoughts are with and I hope the memories of happy times will comfort you during this time.

I miss everything about Higgins- owning a bully affords you a love like no other.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Condolences for your loss. Sounds like Sam was a special guy. I look forward to seeing more pics and stories about him, when you are ready to share them. I know how difficult that could be right now, so soon after loosing him, but sometimes sharing helps ease the grief.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
[MENTION=1860]Sanddog[/MENTION] I am so sorry to hear of your loss ..... I can't even imagine the pain of losing one of my bullys. I am glad you have found us and hope that you will visit often and share the stories and pics of Sam - he sounds like a wonderful guy!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online