Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
A week ago yesterday, I lost my baby, Shiner. He was only 4 months old, but had brought so much love into my life as well as others. He was born February 8 of this year, and I got the pleasure of bringing him into my life on April 29. I had to make the gut-wrenching decision to put him down on June 14.

I had never really known a Bulldog prior to getting Shiner, so I really did not know exactly what to expect. I noticed within a couple of days, maybe sooner, that he had a cough, especially at night. It just so happens that I bought him from a vet's wife, so I took Shiner to the vet to have him checked out. His words to me will haunt me forever, now in hindsight. The vet told me, "oh, I think this is the one that fell into the pond the day that you got him." The vet put him on amoxicillan, and I thought Shiner was improving. However, the cough started again, and I was told to give him children's Benadryl. Long story short, the vet checked him out again, even his heart (because a litter-mate had a heart murmur) and basically said that he really couldn't hear Shiner's lungs because of how loud his breathing was. I began to read up more about Bulldogs, and I just knew this was not right. I took Shiner back to the same vet's office, but he was not there, so a different vet checked him out and put him on clindymiacin. He continued with the cough though. At that point, I decided to take Shiner to a completely different veterinarian, thinking that the one I had been going to was not wanting to admit that his wife sold me a sick dog. (I NEVER thought of giving him back, because we bonded immediately. I just wanted him well!)

The new vet checked Shiner out and gave me some cough medicine for him, as he checked his temp, and it was normal. The new vet also gave Shiner his final booster shots. That night is when Shiner slowly began his downhill slide. I stayed home from work the next 3 days, taking Shiner back to the new vet, who finally took an x-ray and referred us to a specialty hospital. I was told that he might need surgery to trim his soft palette. However, when we got there, the new x-ray showed pneumonia. Shiner was admitted to their ICU where he was tried on two different antibiotics, one being the strongest they had. It never put a dent in the infection, so the clinic recommended surgery to remove the infected portion of the lung. That happened on a Thursday, and by Sunday, Shiner's lungs were full of fluid and he was unresponsive. The vet at the clinic was very kind and let us say our goodbyes, but my baby had given up his fight. It hurts so badly to think that if more aggressive measures were taken in the beginning, I would still have my Shiner.

There are more details to the story, but it is really too heartbreaking to think about them. I just wanted to write this to help with my grieving of my Shiner. I miss him and so wish he could have gotten well.

One thing I am grateful for is that I have a new baby boy, Tucker, who was born on February 10. I couldn't wait to fill the void that Shiner left behind. Shiner and Tucker would have been very fond of each other.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
This breaks my heart. RIP baby Shiner, you were so loved the short time you had here. You did everything in your power to help him, remember that. Also remember the good times you had with him. The void will never be filled, but I'm happy to hear that sweet Tucker came into your life to help.

Can't wait to see pics of both your boys.... Shiner & Tucker.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
oh wow, this is so sad. I'm so sorry you had to go through this and I completely agree with you about that vet, that's truly awful. i hope you never go back to him and that Tucker grows up to be a very happy boy. Thank you for sharing this, we almost went through the same thing but luckily had a vet that was on her game. i credit her for keeping my boy alive and ultimately saving his life. Welcome to EBN, I'm happy you found us.

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
I'm so sorry that you lost Shiner. What a heartbreaking story. I've never lost a pup so young so I can't even imagine how painful it must be. I'm so glad you got Tucker. I am one who believes that the sooner you get a new dog, the faster you will begin to heal. Not that you can replace Shiner, but you will have to focus on your new guy and that certainly lessens the pain for most of the time. I've been there many times. Congratulations on your new baby and welcome to EBN!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Ginger, welcome to EBN, you most certainly are in the right place
as we absolutely mourn Shiner with you and have deepest sympathy
for this tragic outcome. It wounds my heart just hearing your story,
I can't imagine how much pain & grief you're feeling! Please, don't
blame yourself, it is not your fault, you went above & beyond what
needed to be done and was right on it, quickly too.

So glad you have Tucker to fill your heart with joy and can't wait to
watch him grow up here, we love baby pics...hint, hint.

Will lift your broken heart up to Jesus in prayers...big hugs for you!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I am so heartbroken for you, my deepest condolences :cry: I can NOT believe that a breeder would sell you a pup knowing that he had been underwater with out waiting to see if he had any water in his lungs. I bred ONE litter of pups, and one of the pups had issues being the runt. We absolutely REFUSED to sell him because we weren't sure if he would make it, and as it turns out we had to have him put to sleep at 4 mos. I figured if anyone was going to do it, WE would be the ones to make that heartbreaking decision. If I were you I would NOT see this vet anymore…

Many of us on here have lost our bully babies, so we completely understand what you are going thru… and we are here for you!!!

Congrats on your new baby Tucker, and we would LOVE to see more pics of him…

Seline Weiskopff

Mar 11, 2015
syracuse
Country
united states
Bulldog(s) Names
molly
Ginger,
I am so sorry for your loss I can't imagine what you are going through. I know that bond and my heart goes out to you ! My thoughts & prayers are with you :(

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Incredibly heartbreaking... So very sorry for the loss of you sweet baby .... :cry:

OP
Mom of Tucker

Mom of Tucker

Jun 22, 2015
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie (2015), Jasper (2020), Tucker (2015-2020)
Thank you all for reading my story and understanding my heartache. I do not plan to go back to this vet, despite the fact I have to see him at weekly Lions Club meetings. His wife did return my money and helped with a portion of the vet bills. She wanted to do the right thing, but the vet just thought it was enough to give my money back. Obviously the money was not the issue, Shiner was. I think I've suffered the most over the fact that my baby was sick from the beginning and could have had a chance to live, if the vet had cared. And the whole last week of Shiner's life, he was in an oxygen cage and I couldn't even hold him. That hurts most of all.

Luckily Tucker has come to my rescue, and Shiner no longer suffers.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sorry for your loss. Tucker will keep you busy, and laughing, and you will always remember little Shiner, for whom you did all you could to help him. No part of that was a fault of yours. Enjoy your boy, Tucker and :smileywelcome:

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
I cant imagine how it must feel making that kind of decision with Shiner, so sorry for your loss, hopefully your new Bully will help with the healing.

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
So sorry for your loss and what a horrible thing to go through, RIP shiner at least he was so loved in his short time.

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
A new puppy
Mom please don't cry, I haven't gone away
I watch you from heaven each and every day
This New puppy will bring you joy in every way,
something that gives me comfort as I watch you two play. I know that was my favorite ball, my bowl and lead too, I no longer need it, I will leave it here for you two, it's ok to smile and be happy, with a new puppy, now I can rest. Love Shiner

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.