Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
Today I lost my girl. It was sudden and unexpected. I was dropping her off at the vet when she collapsed. she had been acting normal. suddenly her feet began to slide like she couldn't stand upright and her body head rolled from side to side. I was immediately alarmed because this had never happened. I said: are you okay, mama? and she looked up at me. I will never forget that look for as long as i live. she looked so confused. It was like she was asking ME what was wrong with her. I knew something was terribly wrong. I told the receptionist to get the vet immediately and it was like she ignored me. I screamed at her again. the vet tech came out and immediately jumped to action. by this time, Petunia was on the floor. splayed out. he started tapping her eyeball. I watched her take one breath, then two. then nothing. she quit breathing. The vet came out asked what was happening, I said I didn't know but she just quit breathing. the vet tech picked her up and she was so limp. She was gone. I knew she was.

He came back out 5 minutes later and asked me how long they should work on her and I said however long the vet thought. The vet came out 5 minutes after that and she was crying. She said she tried everything and Petunia was not responsive. they did chest compressions, epinephrine, intubation...she said she was so sorry but my girl was gone.

I am, frankly, numb. It literally happened in one minute.

The vet thinks she must have had a tumor on her spleen and it ruptured. An autopsy would have to be performed to know for sure.

Honestly, I cannot do that to my beautiful girl. It will not bring her back. a few months ago we did blood work and she was healthy. She had been having UTIs recently and we didn't know why. None of that matters now.

I want to thank each and everyone of you who have read my posts or followed me on facebook. I also want to thank EBN Nation for the beautiful flowers. I honestly was not expecting that. I love you all for your friendship and mutual love of the English bulldog breed. No one really understands unless they have loved a dog.

I am lucky to have had her for so long. And honestly, she saw me through some of the hardest times of my life. I loved that little dog with all my heart. Now there is a gaping hole and I just don't know how it will ever be whole again.

Apologies for the rambling. Tonight is the first night that my 'bunny' will not be snuggling up to me in our nightly ritual that I loved and cherished. tonight I know I will not sleep. The only comfort I take is knowing that my sunshine girl suffered very little.

Sleep, my little one, sleep.

I will love you always.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Alix, I'm just reading this post now, and I'm so sorry for your loss of Petunia. I know how heartbreaking it is to lose a fur baby. These beautiful animals take a hold of our hearts and are a part of our family, they give love unconditionally, and they are with us for only a short time for us to love. When they leave us they tale a piece of our heart with them, and leave a paw print on our Heart. Petunia was lucky to have her as her Mom. RIP sweet girl, you were loved, and you will be missed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 163

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Alix I am so very sorry for the very sad loss of Petunia it is a comfort she did not suffer for too long, and my heart goes out to you as when our babies pass on it like losing one of our children and it so very heartbreaking.
EBN have been here to comfort many of the Bulldog families in there sorrow and sadly will be for many more.

RIP Sweet Girl you always be remembered in our EBN Family.

And sending :hug: and prayers to you Alix.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Alix......I'm very sorry for the loss of your Diva.
I know you said an autopsy wasn't what you wanted....but would it answer the question in your mind about what happened? For me, I would have to know. I'm saying this as a mother of two furkids that are sleeping soundly. I might have different thoughts if our situations were reversed. I can't imagine the pain you are going thru......but I just wanted to reach out to you and give you a :hug:

wouldtick

Jul 22, 2012
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Barley's Rainbow Cupcake
I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my prayers. I actually teared up reading this. I dont post often but my heart broke for you. May you soon be able to find peace in knowing the love you gave your girl was so greatly appreciated by her. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Alix… I can't even begin to tell you how sorry I am for your loss of your precious Diva :cry: I know that feeling of absolute shock when you lose a fur baby like that, and it's horrible… the ONLY positive that can come from something like this is that you know your sweet girl did NOT suffer. Petunia lived a very long and wonderful life as part of your family… keep those precious memories close to you.

Sending you lots of hugs and prayers… YOU have been there for me for my losses, so please remember that I am HERE for you whenever you need me. This loss cuts deep, and as a family we hold each other close thru the hard times.

RIP Sweet Petunia aka The Diva… :angelheart:

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Oh my,how heartbreaking! I lost my almost 12yr old mid January. You've built this life together after so many years and it's so hard when your world is turned upside down. I' so sorry for your loss. :(

luvmytuker

Jan 10, 2015
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Tucker
As I am crying reading this I think how lucky your Petunia was to have such a beautiful and spoiled life. She was truly loved, and you showed her so much love ! She loved you so much as well ! Like you wrote the good part of this sad story is she did not suffer. YOU GAVE HER A WONDERFUL LIFE!! It's going to be a tough couple of months, I will send prayers. RIP sweet girl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
No words can comfort you enough. No one who has not been owned by a dog can understand the pain. Been there. The love never leaves,it's true the pain dulls, but not soon enough. Sending prayer for you on your loss. I am so sorry,:pray:I know your heart is broken.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am so very sorry to hear that sweet Petunia has crossed over to the rainbow bridge, I know you are hurting right now and it happened so fast, but thankful that she didn't suffer in pain. RIP beautiful Petunia!!! You will never be forgotten! xxoo :grouphug:

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
I am so very sorry. Thinking of you.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am so so sorry that this happened like it did, it truly breaks my heart. Petunia's with el Torito now and they'll both be watching over you forever. :heart: you.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.