Saying Goodbye to Our Beloved Pets and Preparing For Them to Cross The Rainbow Bridge.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Re: How to prepare a friend for baby to cross 'The Bridge' ?

Hi, I'm so sorry for your friends loss of his beloved pet, and for all the other members who are either going through this, or have gone through the loss of a beloved pet. Our pets are not just companions, they are a part of our family, we have strong bonds with them, and they give us so much unconditional love. When we have a friend who is dealing with a loss, or facing having to make the decision that their pets life is ending, we can offer them our love and support, and allow them to talk about how they feel, and allow them to talk about their pets. Just by being there for them and listening, and not dismissing their feelings is a big help. If you are the one having to make that decision, take your time, don't rush your decision, ask your vet questions, be involved in the decisions and choices your vet suggests. Prepare your children, if you have kids, talk to them about death and dying, so as not to scare them. Sometimes people tell them they went to sleep, or they ran away, but this can scare them when going to bed, or they will always wonder where their pet is, or if he is coming back, it's always better to be honest with them, and to let them express their feelings, and also grieve and mourn their pet. Let them express their sadness, and to miss their pet, and let them talk about it, and ask questions.

It's important to give yourself time and permission to grieve and mourn, talk to a friend, or family member, allow yourself to cry, it's okay to be sad for the loss of your pet, some people won't understand, but you need to take the time to grieve and remember your pet. Don't let feelings of guilt overcome you, or get to you, it's one of the hardest decisions you'll ever make, forgive yourself, and remember you did everything you could do, and what was best for your pet. When the time comes, stay with your pet, don't leave him alone to pass to the rainbow bridge, he will hear your voice, he will feel your presence and your love, and he will be less scared if you are with him. He was your constant companion, and gave you unconditional love. They need you.

Time will heal your pain, the love you had for your pet will remain, and they will forever be in your heart. Remember the good times and the memories you shared. Honour your pet. You can do this by sharing stories, make a scrap book to honour and show your life with him, you could plant a tree in his honour, make a plaque with his paw print, and his name on it, take pictures of your pet, or donate to a rescue or other animal organization in your pets name. You can send a note or card to your family and friends to announce the passing of your beloved pet and family member, or have a memorial party with your family and close friends to remember and honour him. There aren't any right or wrong ways to remember or honour our pets, it's an individual decision and process for everyone, everyone handles grief and loss different, and you have to deal with in your own way and allow yourself to feel, and be sad, and remember, and mourn. There are never any words that people can tell you that will make you feel better, or take away the pain, but just by talking about it, and letting our friends or family members talk about it, just listening to them and acknowledging their feelings will help. Only time will heal our broken hearts, and eventually those sad feelings will be replaced with the memories and the happy times we had with our pets.

0 Comment(s)

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
oh this...it makes me cry just thinking about loosing my precious Ruthie. I think i'm going to print this out, give it to all my friends so they have something to give me(LOL) because i'll be inconsolable.

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
It's definitely something we never want to think about, but if you have a friend, or your going through it, it helps to know what to expect, and to know you're not alone, and to allow yourself to honour, remember and mourn, and even cry. It is a healing process. I thought I'd post this for all the bully babies who have passed, and their families who are missing them.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
It's definitely something we never want to think about, but if you have a friend, or your going through it, it helps to know what to expect, and to know you're not alone, and to allow yourself to honour, remember and mourn, and even cry. It is a healing process. I thought I'd post this for all the bully babies who have passed, and their families who are missing them.
It's very sweet and comforting.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I can't think about my Sheldon leaving but I LOVE this post because its so spot on. I wish I had a printer so I could print it out. I ,too, would be inconsolable.

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
So hard to imagine losing my Petunia Belle...it was SO HARD to lose Samson because I wasn't there...only Petunia was with him when he passed. I remember it like yesterday and am amazed that 5 years have passed since then. There are some that won't understand at all. Then there are those who will and will be able to commiserate with you.

I don't think anyone can ever be truly prepared for that day. I, myself, live in denial believing that my darling girl will live forever. I know she won't, but a piece of her will stay with me forever and in that way, she will live.

How kind of you to prepare that text above...it will certainly help one day. ♥

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
Made me cry just reading it. It was very hard losing Rocky and with-in 4 months we loss King Louie.It was so hard. Now am over protective with Stinky. Don't think I could handle it if something was to happen to him now. The thought of it makes me cry.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a great post .... one thing I know, time does help, but the pain and hole in your heart takes an undetermined amount of time to heal and most people just do not understand that!
over two years and I still hurt, cry and miss my sweet Nitschke

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.