Goodbye Our Sweet Shakespeare

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
So sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you during this difficult time...

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
This was so sweet and sad, but the greatest thing to read about your baby. I definitely felt like I knew him after reading your post and could feel the outpouring of love between both you and your family for him. He was greatly loved and will be greatly missed. I'm so sorry for your loss, but I'm so happy that you were able to spend the time that you had, even as short as it was, with him. What a great experience and a great love.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Aw, I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful bully!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Aw, I am so sorry for your loss. What a beautiful bully!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I am just reading this and through tears I type this I can't imagine the pain of your loss but if its anything like the grief I feel for you it must be unbearable. I am praying for the healing of you and your family. Like the quote says when they go they take a piece of us with them and when we adopt they give us a piece of their hearts to help with the pieces we have lost. Words can not express my sympathy to you of the loss your experiencing. I am so sorry.:pray::cry::assurred:

gobronco

Dec 16, 2011
San Jose, Ca
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mila and Bruno
Thank you for taking Shakey in and making his last couple years happy and loving.

Last edited:

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
This story, his pictures and those beautiful eyes, have been in my heart since I read it last night.
There's nothing that I can really think of to say, but you're in my thoughts and I hope you and your family can find some comfort through this very sad time.

OP
camelotdreams

camelotdreams

Nov 4, 2013
Waddell, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston Stuart aka Stu and Sophie
It has been two weeks since we lost our Shakey and not a day goes by that I don't think about my little man. Some days are better than others. Some days I can talk about him with friends and co-workers without misting up or actually breaking down and crying, and others I just can't speak about him at all.

There are so many little things that I miss...how excited he was by the sound of the icemaker in the door of the fridge. Icecubes for Shakey were like a five/six year old child being told they were going to Disneyland to see Mickey Mouse! The fun he had eating his icecubes brought out a sense of happiness and childlike glee in everyone who had the good fortune of witnessing one of these events. Even though we have a house full of other fur kids, it just seems quiet. Something is just missing. I even miss the need to constantly change my pillow case due to his nightly drool deposits. He generally slept with his head next to mine on my pillow each night (or should I say his pillow). I would give anything to have to change my pillow case daily again if it meant that he was still with us. What I miss the most though, is his gentle snore that lulled me off to sleep each night. It was my own personal sleep aid, and without it I find it difficult to fall asleep.

I know that time eases all pain and that things will get better, but for now it's still really hard.

I miss you my Shakey and I know that wherever you are, you're still bringing joy to others and having so very much fun. For us it's just going to take a little more time to get our sense of joy back, but we'll take a lesson from you and appreciate the time we had with you and look for happiness and awe in the little things all around us.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It has been two weeks since we lost our Shakey and not a day goes by that I don't think about my little man. Some days are better than others. Some days I can talk about him with friends and co-workers without misting up or actually breaking down and crying, and others I just can't speak about him at all.

There are so many little things that I miss...how excited he was by the sound of the icemaker in the door of the fridge. Icecubes for Shakey were like a five/six year old child being told they were going to Disneyland to see Mickey Mouse! The fun he had eating his icecubes brought out a sense of happiness and childlike glee in everyone who had the good fortune of witnessing one of these events. Even though we have a house full of other fur kids, it just seems quiet. Something is just missing. I even miss the need to constantly change my pillow case due to his nightly drool deposits. He generally slept with his head next to mine on my pillow each night (or should I say his pillow). I would give anything to have to change my pillow case daily again if it meant that he was still with us. What I miss the most though, is his gentle snore that lulled me off to sleep each night. It was my own personal sleep aid, and without it I find it difficult to fall asleep.

I know that time eases all pain and that things will get better, but for now it's still really hard.

I miss you my Shakey and I know that wherever you are, you're still bringing joy to others and having so very much fun. For us it's just going to take a little more time to get our sense of joy back, but we'll take a lesson from you and appreciate the time we had with you and look for happiness and awe in the little things all around us.

I'm so very sorry…
Somebody else on EBN asked on a thread if you ever stop grieving for your baby… and of course the answer is NO :( We have lost 2 bullies just this year, and I will tell you that it does get a little easier everyday. Sometimes something funny will hit me and I have a fond memory of something that Bella would do… just try to take it one day at a time. You can always vent or cry on here, you are among friends and many of us have been thru this many times. Sending prayers & hugs to you… :hug:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
I have avoided this thread because I knew it would be sad, but something made me read it today. As I sit here sobbing, I am in awe of you and your tribute to your bully. They come into our lives and grab our hearts so quickly, and losing them is beyond comprehension. THANKYOU for sharing Shakey's life with you. We all learn from these posts, and I have learned how special bully parents are, and how lucky we are to have these furballs in our lives. God bless you and your family in this difficult time. One of my favorite quotes: " I will not cry because he is gone, I will smile because he was here". Take care.

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
So sorry for your loss. My 5 month old is named Shakespeare and it was very hard for me to read this thread. I was crying before I made it through the first sentence! Sending hugs your way....

OP
camelotdreams

camelotdreams

Nov 4, 2013
Waddell, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston Stuart aka Stu and Sophie
It's been 8 months since we lost our Shakespeare. Several months ago we made a decision to bring Sophie into our family. I truly didn't believe that I'd be able to let another bully into my heart, but it's amazing the capacity we have to love. My husband and I took one look at this sick little girl and that was it! When we found out she had multiple, potentially serious health issues our hearts just sank. The thought of losing another fur baby so soon after our Shakey was unthinkable. Fast forward to current day and we have a beautiful, healthy, spunky, ball of love and energy! Our vet says Sophie will be a tiny girl, but that's a-ok with us. My husband calls her our "mini bulldog".

It's easier to talk about Shakespeare now, and I even find myself smiling or chuckling when I'm talking with folks and telling them a story of Shakespeare's antics. Then there are those times when I just can't bring myself to talk about him because I know I'll breakdown. When I'm around the house I still picture him in his favorite places, and sometimes in the dark of night I'll wake up and swear that he's right there by me in bed...that I smell him on my pillow. Who knows, maybe he's dropping by to check on me and in his typical Shakespearean manner, telling me to get over it, he's doing just fine. Since it makes me feel better I'm sticking with that thought.

Ironically Sophie adores the water as much as Shakey did. What a pair they would have made! While Sophie has her unique little personality, it's amazing how similar many of her mannerisms are to Shakey. The female version of the Shakester.

Shakey - I miss you every single day my boy and I am still so thankful to have had you in our lives, even for the short time we did. I think you would have adored Sophie and she you. Until we meet again you'll live in our hearts and we'll continue to help others in your's and Beefcake's honor.

10473371_10152481532537708_6630132572507429466_n.jpg
Sophie

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It's been 8 months since we lost our Shakespeare. Several months ago we made a decision to bring Sophie into our family. I truly didn't believe that I'd be able to let another bully into my heart, but it's amazing the capacity we have to love. My husband and I took one look at this sick little girl and that was it! When we found out she had multiple, potentially serious health issues our hearts just sank. The thought of losing another fur baby so soon after our Shakey was unthinkable. Fast forward to current day and we have a beautiful, healthy, spunky, ball of love and energy! Our vet says Sophie will be a tiny girl, but that's a-ok with us. My husband calls her our "mini bulldog".

It's easier to talk about Shakespeare now, and I even find myself smiling or chuckling when I'm talking with folks and telling them a story of Shakespeare's antics. Then there are those times when I just can't bring myself to talk about him because I know I'll breakdown. When I'm around the house I still picture him in his favorite places, and sometimes in the dark of night I'll wake up and swear that he's right there by me in bed...that I smell him on my pillow. Who knows, maybe he's dropping by to check on me and in his typical Shakespearean manner, telling me to get over it, he's doing just fine. Since it makes me feel better I'm sticking with that thought.

Ironically Sophie adores the water as much as Shakey did. What a pair they would have made! While Sophie has her unique little personality, it's amazing how similar many of her mannerisms are to Shakey. The female version of the Shakester.

Shakey - I miss you every single day my boy and I am still so thankful to have had you in our lives, even for the short time we did. I think you would have adored Sophie and she you. Until we meet again you'll live in our hearts and we'll continue to help others in your's and Beefcake's honor.

View attachment 73488
Sophie

What at a beautiful little girl.... Love that face. Congratulations ... So happy you found this new love.... Never to replace, only add!! Such adoring words you have for your boy and I can fully relate as I still feel, smell and sense my boy with me and it has been close to three years already. Hugs and best wishes with your new baby girl

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.