Goodbye Our Sweet Shakespeare

camelotdreams

Nov 4, 2013
Waddell, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston Stuart aka Stu and Sophie
It is with a sense of shock, surrealness, and an almost unbearable sadness that I type that our Shakey left us suddenly last Tuesday late afternoon. Other than the allergies that heā€™d had during our time with him, his vet visits always checked out fine and he appeared to be in good health. Something went wrong with his poor little heart and he left us quickly. I was still at work but George gave him CPR for more than 30 minutes before he finally realized that our boy wasnā€™t coming back to us. Itā€™s the suddenness of it all that makes me feel like I canā€™t breathe.

Shakey came into our lives in 2011 after having lost our first Bully boy, Beefcake to a brain tumor and our Great Pyrenees, Maggie to complications of old age. We lost Beefy in July and Maggie in October. It was quite the blow to our family and we were spinning with our grief. While losing Maggie was tough, she had lived a long wonderful life, so we were more at peace with her passing. Beefcake on the other hand was only eight and after a year of struggling to get his IBD under control and just beginning to feel like he was actually enjoying life again, to then lose him to a tumor, seemed very unfair to him and us.

We made the decision that we wanted to do something to honor Beefcakeā€™s memory and decided that adopting a rescue bully who had had a rough start in life and hadn't experienced the love that our Beefy had would be such a great honor to Beefcake and bring solace to us. While we were hesitant that it might be too soon to bring in a new furry family member, I found myself looking online and there was a picture of our Shakey. I read his story and knew that I wanted him to be a part of our family. When we met the folks at Almost Home (especially Amy) we knew that we had found the right rescue to adopt through.

We met Shakey the first time at an adoption event and took him for a walk. He kept wanting to go into all of the stores in the shopping center. George laughed and said ā€œA dog that likes to shop, this is meant to be.ā€ The Paws on the Patio event was soon to come and we made arrangements to spend some more time with Shakey at that event. We walked around the area, sat and talked to him, and loved on him. I remember looking into his beautiful eyes and feeling that he was an old soul. There was gentleness, kindness, and a wisdom in those eyes beyond what Iā€™d ever seen in a dog before. I felt that way then and I felt that way the entire time we were blessed to have him in our lives, I feel that way now. After our walk we decided to have lunch on the patio and I knew George was hooked as I listened to him talk to him in baby talk and painstakingly cut the lettuce in Shakeyā€™s salad so that it would be easier for him to eat. We knew beyond a shadow of a doubt after that visit that we wanted him to come home with us.

Shakey came home to live with us shortly after Thanksgiving in 2011. There was no transition period. Sam and Stu accepted him into the pack seamlessly and he was a model citizen. I think Sam was still mourning the loss of his two friends and Shakey helped bring him out of his depression.

Life fell into a routine (a crazy routine, but a routine). People say that you never fully appreciate what you have until itā€™s gone. That wasnā€™t the case with Shakey, we knew how blessed we were to have him in our lives and I thought about it on a regular basis. His antics could make me laugh more than any other. Even a short walk to the mailbox was an adventure for our Shakey. He went from not understanding what toys were, to expecting a toy anytime I came home from the store with bags. He'd sit staring at me patiently with a look of "Where's my goody mom?" He so loved our granddaughter Peyton (and she him) and would get soooo excited when she'd come over. That little nub of his would wag a mile a minute! Car rides never seemed to grow old to him. He was always excited like it was his first time and I loved how he took joy in the simplest of things. He taught me a great lesson about cherishing every moment and I reveled at looking at things through his innocent, un-jaded eyes. On car rides we thought of him as our little co-pilot. He loved water and looked forward to the warmer months when he could spend time in and out of the little pool. We found that frequent, gentle baths helped with the itching due to his allergies and so he came to love those too. He'd give the cutest little moan and sink down into the warm water. He loved to lie on the family room couch and he'd place his little head on my leg. We would sit like that for hours sometimes. He never met another animal he didn't like and he was ever so patient with the constant stream of foster kittens that came in and out of the house. He was a creature of comfort and he loved his doggy beds (the cat beds too). We recently purchased some wind chimes and he seemed to love to lay and listen to them. We were planning a trip to the beach for him sometime soon and I know that would have been quite the adventure for him. Most of all he taught me about the power of love, forgiveness, and resiliency. His early years werenā€™t the best, but he forgave, moved on, and trusted and loved us unconditionally. If I wrote down everything this little man taught me Iā€™d have a book.

Like all of us, our Shakey wasnā€™t perfect. He had an obsession with garden hoses and sprinkler heads. What we finally came to realize is that the obsession was more about his love of water than the actual hose and sprinkler heads. He loved running through the sprinklers and when they werenā€™t on heā€™d bite at them. We figured out that he was trying to get water to come out. We took all of this in stride and worked around it. We made sure the hose was up when Shakey was outside and weā€™d distract him if we saw that he was zeroing in on a sprinkler head. Shakey also had a dislike for the sound of fireworks. 4[SUP]th[/SUP] of July was not on his list of top ten occasions. Fireworks on television had the same effect as the real thing.

When George first called me to let me know what had happened, my first emotion was disbelief. It couldnā€™t be true. The sadness kicked in quickly. Then I was angry that weā€™d lost something so precious, way too soon. I met George at the vets office and I was able to quietly see my boy one last time, tell him how much I loved him and how much he had changed my life. I was able to hug him, pet his beautiful white fur, his soft black nose and lips, and his spotted ears that I adored so much. Leaving him there was one of the hardest things Iā€™ve ever had to do. Now itā€™s just a complete sense of loss and emptiness. What Iā€™ve come to realize in the last day and a half though is that while our time with Shakey wasnā€™t nearly long enough, it was two years filled with a lifetime of love, laughter, and such joy. This little dog taught me more in two years then Iā€™d learned in the many years leading up to being blessed with his presence. He and our Beefcake were the catalysts that got us started fostering and trying to educate the public on responsible pet ownership. I know youā€™ve all heard this before, but Shakey the rescue dog was my miracle. He rescued me during a time when I dearly needed rescuing. While life seems quiet and empty without him right now (our other furkids are mourning. Each in their own way), and while he left us too soon, my God what a blessing to have had him even for the short time we did.

Rest in Peace my sweet boy and thank you for being my MIRACLE. I know Beefcake and Maggie were there to greet you and weā€™ll all be together some day over the Rainbow Bridge.
Sweet Boy.jpg

Last edited:

Valentine215

Community Veteran
Nov 10, 2012
Kyle, TX
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Not sure what I will name my new bullddog
I am so sorry to hear of your sweet boy's sudden passing. I am so glad his last years were spent in the company of a wonderful and loving home.

Rest in peace Shakespeare...

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
One of the most beautiful memorials I've ever read and I'm crying with
you & your family at Shakey's loss. It's never easy but suddenly is so
very shocking and not fair! I do think you should write that book as your
words here have brought him to life & I miss him too altho I never met
him...such is the power of your words. RIP handsome Shakey.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Yes that was beautiful. You made me feel like I knew Shakespeare too. So sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how painful his passing must be for you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am so very very sorry for the sudden loss of your sweet Shakey, but what a wonderful, wonderful tribute of words and feelings you have shared with us.

thank you for the wonderful journey

Rest on peace Shakey

:hug:

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
It is with terrible sadness and tears on my face that I read your beautiful tribute to your miracle Shakespear. I am glad that he was able to experience unconditional love in the all to short time you had him. Go bless you for giving him that.

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
[h=1]"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." - Anonymous[/h]I love this quote. I hope it gives you comfort. So sorry for your loss. I love his picture. He looks so wise and proud.

SugarBuggerBear

Apr 12, 2013
Hinesville, Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sugar
I am still at work and logged into Facebook before I left. I read your beautiful touching memorial and have sat at my desk with tears streaming down my face. Shakey was so lucky to have found a loving caring family to spend the rest of his life with. Bless you for being there for him. He and your family were both blessed.

santinomom

Jan 22, 2013
Rochester, New York
Bulldog(s) Names
Santino
It is with a sense of shock, surrealness, and an almost unbearable sadness that I type that our Shakey left us suddenly last Tuesday late afternoon. Other than the allergies that heā€™d had during our time with him, his vet visits always checked out fine and he appeared to be in good health. Something went wrong with his poor little heart and he left us quickly. I was still at work but George gave him CPR for more than 30 minutes before he finally realized that our boy wasnā€™t coming back to us. Itā€™s the suddenness of it all that makes me feel like I canā€™t breathe.

Shakey came into our lives in 2011 after having lost our first Bully boy, Beefcake to a brain tumor and our Great Pyrenees, Maggie to complications of old age. We lost Beefy in July and Maggie in October. It was quite the blow to our family and we were spinning with our grief. While losing Maggie was tough, she had lived a long wonderful life, so we were more at peace with her passing. Beefcake on the other hand was only eight and after a year of struggling to get his IBD under control and just beginning to feel like he was actually enjoying life again, to then lose him to a tumor, seemed very unfair to him and us.

We made the decision that we wanted to do something to honor Beefcakeā€™s memory and decided that adopting a rescue bully who had had a rough start in life and hadn't experienced the love that our Beefy had would be such a great honor to Beefcake and bring solace to us. While we were hesitant that it might be too soon to bring in a new furry family member, I found myself looking online and there was a picture of our Shakey. I read his story and knew that I wanted him to be a part of our family. When we met the folks at Almost Home (especially Amy) we knew that we had found the right rescue to adopt through.

We met Shakey the first time at an adoption event and took him for a walk. He kept wanting to go into all of the stores in the shopping center. George laughed and said ā€œA dog that likes to shop, this is meant to be.ā€ The Paws on the Patio event was soon to come and we made arrangements to spend some more time with Shakey at that event. We walked around the area, sat and talked to him, and loved on him. I remember looking into his beautiful eyes and feeling that he was an old soul. There was gentleness, kindness, and a wisdom in those eyes beyond what Iā€™d ever seen in a dog before. I felt that way then and I felt that way the entire time we were blessed to have him in our lives, I feel that way now. After our walk we decided to have lunch on the patio and I knew George was hooked as I listened to him talk to him in baby talk and painstakingly cut the lettuce in Shakeyā€™s salad so that it would be easier for him to eat. We knew beyond a shadow of a doubt after that visit that we wanted him to come home with us.

Shakey came home to live with us shortly after Thanksgiving in 2011. There was no transition period. Sam and Stu accepted him into the pack seamlessly and he was a model citizen. I think Sam was still mourning the loss of his two friends and Shakey helped bring him out of his depression.

Life fell into a routine (a crazy routine, but a routine). People say that you never fully appreciate what you have until itā€™s gone. That wasnā€™t the case with Shakey, we knew how blessed we were to have him in our lives and I thought about it on a regular basis. His antics could make me laugh more than any other. Even a short walk to the mailbox was an adventure for our Shakey. He went from not understanding what toys were, to expecting a toy anytime I came home from the store with bags. He'd sit staring at me patiently with a look of "Where's my goody mom?" He so loved our granddaughter Peyton (and she him) and would get soooo excited when she'd come over. That little nub of his would wag a mile a minute! Car rides never seemed to grow old to him. He was always excited like it was his first time and I loved how he took joy in the simplest of things. He taught me a great lesson about cherishing every moment and I reveled at looking at things through his innocent, un-jaded eyes. On car rides we thought of him as our little co-pilot. He loved water and looked forward to the warmer months when he could spend time in and out of the little pool. We found that frequent, gentle baths helped with the itching due to his allergies and so he came to love those too. He'd give the cutest little moan and sink down into the warm water. He loved to lie on the family room couch and he'd place his little head on my leg. We would sit like that for hours sometimes. He never met another animal he didn't like and he was ever so patient with the constant stream of foster kittens that came in and out of the house. He was a creature of comfort and he loved his doggy beds (the cat beds too). We recently purchased some wind chimes and he seemed to love to lay and listen to them. We were planning a trip to the beach for him sometime soon and I know that would have been quite the adventure for him. Most of all he taught me about the power of love, forgiveness, and resiliency. His early years werenā€™t the best, but he forgave, moved on, and trusted and loved us unconditionally. If I wrote down everything this little man taught me Iā€™d have a book.

Like all of us, our Shakey wasnā€™t perfect. He had an obsession with garden hoses and sprinkler heads. What we finally came to realize is that the obsession was more about his love of water than the actual hose and sprinkler heads. He loved running through the sprinklers and when they werenā€™t on heā€™d bite at them. We figured out that he was trying to get water to come out. We took all of this in stride and worked around it. We made sure the hose was up when Shakey was outside and weā€™d distract him if we saw that he was zeroing in on a sprinkler head. Shakey also had a dislike for the sound of fireworks. 4[SUP]th[/SUP] of July was not on his list of top ten occasions. Fireworks on television had the same effect as the real thing.

When George first called me to let me know what had happened, my first emotion was disbelief. It couldnā€™t be true. The sadness kicked in quickly. Then I was angry that weā€™d lost something so precious, way too soon. I met George at the vets office and I was able to quietly see my boy one last time, tell him how much I loved him and how much he had changed my life. I was able to hug him, pet his beautiful white fur, his soft black nose and lips, and his spotted ears that I adored so much. Leaving him there was one of the hardest things Iā€™ve ever had to do. Now itā€™s just a complete sense of loss and emptiness. What Iā€™ve come to realize in the last day and a half though is that while our time with Shakey wasnā€™t nearly long enough, it was two years filled with a lifetime of love, laughter, and such joy. This little dog taught me more in two years then Iā€™d learned in the many years leading up to being blessed with his presence. He and our Beefcake were the catalysts that got us started fostering and trying to educate the public on responsible pet ownership. I know youā€™ve all heard this before, but Shakey the rescue dog was my miracle. He rescued me during a time when I dearly needed rescuing. While life seems quiet and empty without him right now (our other furkids are mourning. Each in their own way), and while he left us too soon, my God what a blessing to have had him even for the short time we did.

Rest in Peace my sweet boy and thank you for being my MIRACLE. I know Beefcake and Maggie were there to greet you and weā€™ll all be together some day over the Rainbow Bridge.
View attachment 59625

Soooooooo sorry for your loss! what a beautiful portrayal of a wonderful little bully!!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
OMG, I can hardly see to type, as the tears are flowing. You have written such a beautiful tribute to your son, Shakey. I, too know the emptiness that loss leaves. Over the past few years I have lost several family members, and in one year, three of my beloved furkids. There are no words to say that can heal your heart, except to try and remember that no matter how short the time you had with him, you made his life a wonderful one, and he-yours. It seems I am crying for you and all doggie/animal parents who love their pets so much. We all will be reunited with them in heaven someday. Because if that is not so-we don't wanna' go................praying for you to get through this difficult time. I'd say most of the people on EBN have felt your pain............:sorry::sorry:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:sorry:These are the most beautiful words I have ever read. I feel like I know Shakespeare, and tears are streaming down my face as I read these sad but happy words. Your words show us and make us feel the love you had for your sweet boy, and I know he felt the same way. I am so sorry for your loss, and my thoughts and prayers as with you and your family at this tough time. RIP sweet Shakespeare. Sending love, hugs and prayers to you, to help you cope with your grief.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 133
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 131
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 146
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 135

mc68mc

Sep 11, 2012
Columbia Mo area
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
April aka Big Smoochie or Smoocha - Libre'
Who said Angels must have wings - Some wear their halo's around the neck in the form of collars - sorry for your loss but so happy for the life you gave him and the joy he gave you and your family

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My heart is broken... I sit here w/tears in my eyes. What a beautiful tribute to your baby Shakey! He was so blessed to spend his last couple of years w/you & your family! I have lost 2 bully's this past year, so I understand the overwhelming sadness. Sending hugs & prayers to you & your family! God bless...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
oh i am so sorry for your loss, what a sweet gorgeous boy he was
:(
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2