My Linus 1/10/06-7/31/13

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Heaven got a little brighter yesterday as it gained a very special star in my bulldog, Linus.

For those of you who are regulars on the board, you probably noticed a series of recent threads starting in about April about the decline of Linusā€™ health. Linus turned 7 years old in January and shortly after his birthday; I noticed things starting to happen to him. Most of the changes were non-specific, but when you spend 7 years getting to know and loving a bulldog, you know what is happening in your heart, even when your head tries to tell you it must be something else.

Linus was not in pain when he died. He was just experiencing what all living things do ā€“ he was getting old. He had some unexplained health problems, the most worrisome of which was panting and wheezing after resting and during exercise. We looked for the reason for this, which was neither allergies nor an infection, but a far more difficult to reconcile problem: Linusā€™ big heart was giving out on him. Over the course of the next few months, I noticed Linus lost some weight (which had always been a struggle!), lost muscle tone, stopped enjoying his favorite toys (though heā€™d dig in his toy box for them, by the time he got them out, he was too tired to play), and didnā€™t have the appetite he used to.

Shortly before his 7th birthday I found out I was pregnant and it wasnā€™t too long after that I began to secretly worry ā€“ then pray ā€“ that Linus would live to meet his little brother. But it wasnā€™t meant to be.

Linusā€™ final days were not spent sick or sad or at a vet. The day before he died, he had two regular meals, he spent time outside, he chased our cats, and got his regular treat before bed. As I did every night in the 7.5 years before that, I gave him his treat, turned on his box fan, and told him he was a good boy. Linus never woke up the next morning.

When we found him, he was the same in death as he was in life ā€“ beautiful and peaceful - he looked like an angel. We pet him, we held him, and then wrapped him in a blanket and said good-bye.

Linus had what we hope for all of our pets ā€“ a wonderful life and a peaceful transition into the next. I could not have asked for more for him. He had the best of everything and every single of day of his life was happy and full of love.

Sometimes, when I read all of the issues that so often come up on our board, I think about all the drawbacks of owning a bulldog. But between allergies, hips, ear infections, and stubborn behavior, I have come to realize their biggest flaw is how short their lives are and that, when they pass, they take a piece of your heart with them.

I know tears and pain will turn to laughter and thankfulness for having the opportunity to know and love a special dog like Linus. Until then, I appreciate all of your love, prayers and support as our family copes with such an incredible loss, especially as we anticipate the birth of our first child.

Linus, your mommy loves you and misses you and will never, ever forget you.

Linus.jpg
Linus1.jpg
430774_10151258571559693_1939214511_n.jpg
890129147_ebfcecfe20_o.jpg
76484_10151289456044693_1798774662_n.jpg
Pig.jpg

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OMG I loved Linus...i'm speechless :cry: so sorry.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so very sorry for your loss... Linus was a beautiful baby!!! The pictures of him are so sweet, he looked liked he enjoyed every single minute with you guys!!! I have lost two bullies this year, and I agree that the hardest part of having them is that their lives are so short. They DO take a piece of our hearts w/them, but I also believe that they are always in our hearts as well :heart:
Prayers to you and your family... :cry:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Jill..I'm so sorry. I heard about this yesterday and could hardly concentrate all day. My heart is breaking for you..7 years so short BUT...it would not matter if he'd lived another year..five or ?...the pain and missing would be there. I'm very relieved for you that Linus went to the bridge happy and loved..just like he lived his life. What a special little man he was...he is whole again and running free. Peace to you..your family and Sweet Linus. :hug:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
One of my all time fav pics on EBN is Linus snuggled up w/his lion and one huge
paw thrown over it. There is a HUGE hole missing from our beloved EBN bullies
with his passing. I'm so glad he had a great day, doing all he loved to do and being
safe w/his family when he peacefully meet Jesus and went home.

My sincere condolences on losing Linus...a great, wonderful & handsome boy.

Thank you for giving him (and all your babies) such a wonderful, happy & loving home.

I wish all bullies could enjoy the life Linus had...GOD be with you & yours as you grieve
and celebrate Linus' life. My thoughts & prayers are with y'all...GOD bless!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I am so sorry to hear this. Lots of love and hugs

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
That was beautifully written. I am so sorry for you loss. Linus was blessed to have you love him. Heartbreaking to hear...such a beautiful bully...RIP Linus.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am sorry for your loss. Sending thoughts and prayers your way.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I just loved Linus and loved reading your posts about your boys. I am so sorry for your loss but am so glad that Linus went to the Bridge without pain and after living the life of a very loved bulldog. Your wonderful tribute made me cry but even as our wonderful bullies leave us too soon, they also leave such amazing lasting memories. Hugs to you all and especially his bully brothers as they miss him. :heart: Linus

LynnA

Community Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Maine
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis and Winston
My deepest condolences to you and your family. May Linus RIP, what a wonderful write up and a wonderful life and family he had. Praying for you all at this difficult time. xoxo

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
SysmƤ
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I'm so very sorry for your loss, but glad that he went peacefully. He will always be in your heart.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Your words describing Linus are so beautiful, they really show the love you and your family shared with your precious baby. He felt the same way about you as well, and knew he was loved by you. He had the life every bully deserves. It's so true that these beautiful animals aren't with us for long enough, and they definitely grab hold of our hearts and when they leave us, they take a big piece of our hearts with us. With all their health problems, I still wouldn't trade them for anything, they have the biggest hearts and the funniest little personalities, they make you smile everyday. I am truly sorry and saddened for your loss, no words can change that, or make you feel better, only time will do that.

Congratulations on your new baby coming. Wishing you and your family all the best, sending love, hugs and prayers to you.

Lauren31287

Nov 8, 2011
Rhode Island
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Ohh I am so sorry for your loss, I just teared up reading that. I am sending lots of love & prayers your way. RIP Linus you will never be forgotten. :heart::heart:

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online