My heart still aches

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
My Miss Abby passed over the bridge this past Friday. I am lost with out her, her snuggles, her grunts, her soft kisses.......My heart aches so very much.

I haven't been on a lot lately because of so many things happening in my life. My dad was placed in Hospice care in early Jan, then my partner of 15 years had an affair and walked out of our lives and home, now I have lost Abby.

I had to let her go, she had fallen off the bed and then started having issues. The final days, she wouldn't even get up to eat in the morning. I barely got her up and moving at night. She slept the entire time, even if it meant sleeping in her urine. She had become so very incontinent in the end.

My heart hurt to see her in pain, but it hurts to know she is gone. I didn't want to be selfish in keeping her here, but I also felt selfish for putting her down. I still am second guessing myself.....was it because I got tired of changing and washing sheets every day? Was is the right thing to do? Was it because I couldn't lift her and help her? could I have done something else to make it easier with things?

Friday came and my son and a good friend came with me. I held her tight, they held me. It was so fast, but so very peaceful. I was worried so much on what they were doing, I forgot to say how much I loved her before her last breath.....Once I realized she was gone, I cried, I felt like I missed the opportunity to say good bye. I hope she knew I was there...it was so fast. I cried, my son cried.
I held her the entire way home and stroked her head and ears. Telling her how much I loved her and I missed her already. We allowed Bella to say her good byes. A friend told me once that if they can smell the body, they know what happened and understand why and where she is. So we place Abby's body on the poolside lounge chair. Bella got up and smelled her from head to tail, then a quick lick (kiss) and she got down.
My son then wrapped her in her favorite blanket and we buried her in her favorite sunning spot. From the day we brought her home to this house, daily she would sit in the same spot to sun. She is there now for all eternity.

Friday night I cried so hard, looking at every thing that reminded me of her. I screamed that I was sorry I had to let her go, I cried myself to sleep. It is so hard, my heart aches, just to see her one more time. Bella is at loss. In 6 short weeks, her life has changed. Her other mother leaves, then her Big fur-sister goes with her, now Abby. It is just me and her against the world. I feel horrible for Bella, she has no clue what has happened the past 6 weeks.

Sorry, to be going on and on, it is just that all of you would understand. My son said to me on Friday "it sucks that you have to go through so much right now" "it is horrible that you have been so hurt lately" funny how the tides change when your kids grow up.

Thanks for listening.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Wow, I'm so very sorry to hear about your recent events! I worked for a hospice company for 6 years....so I know the ins and outs of how it works if you have ANY questions please let me know! And the pain from loosing your precious girl Abby. You've certainly had a lot of turmoil to say the least. I'm also sorry your partner left. I would be devastated if my partner left me! I wish I could say something that could help....Please know we're all thinking of you right now. I'm so very sorry!

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
My condolences. You were being selfless and did the best thing for Miss Abey. I feel honored that you shared your story and heartache with me, with this forum. She knew she was loved till the end. Would that every human and animal could know the same in this brief short life of our existence

ChrisRN

Flip'n'bullies stole my heart!
Jan 10, 2013
Muskegon, Michigan, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mabel (20??-2017) Ariel
I am so sorry for your loss(es). I know the pain of losing such a wonderful 4-legged companion. It leaves a huge hole in your heart that ain't easily filled. My Trixie would have been 9 years old yesterday. Putting your dad in hospice just makes the hole bigger. I will keep you in my prayers for healing and strength. Bella will be a great source of comfort to you as you both work through the grief process. Talk with the hospice nurse or social worker. They may have some resources for you to help you. I worked as a hospice nurse. Part of my job was working with families to help them find peace with their losses. I will definitely be thinking about you.

Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno & Gidget
I'm so very sorry for your loss. I'm currently at work reading your post with tears streaming down my face. Be strong, Bella needs you and your son needs you. There are better and brighter days ahead. I know I'm a stranger but I'm sending big huge hugs to you. Gloria, Bruno and Gidget. xxxx

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Leslie..sweet Leslie..first of all..you did the best for Abby. Not for you. It IS thee most unselfish act we can do for our babies. Second guessing yourself is normal, but waiting too long and not doing the hard thing is so much worse. Trust yourself and know Abby knows exactly how much she was loved.

As far as your partner leaving..well, sadly the content of her character and the moral values she doesn't possess, are not something you can control. When my daughter went through this last year. You shared such warmth and caring for her and our family...you, my dear are the real deal. Your life has had a sucker punch given to it..but the sucker will lose in the end. Be strong as you need be..but let your heart heal. Abby will always be part of that heart.

:hug: times a million!

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
I'm sorry you're going through so much right now. I know that is one of the hardest things to ever do, and I totally understand you questioning yourself. Only you know when the time is right... even when you question yourself over and over afterward because its so HARD and its just not fair and you just didn't have enough time with her. I know we did the right thing we Aubrey, but do I still question our choices? All the time, mostly for selfish reasons to try and make myself feel better. It was hard with the short time we had with her, so I can't imagine if we'd had her to old age.

Just know that Abby knew she was loved and will be waiting for you at the rainbow bridge when the time comes. We're all here for you. :hug:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry for your loss, but you did the right thing in letting her go, it was her time. You will always have her in your heart, and see her again at the Bridge.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
dear Leslie, I sit here crying with you, and mourning the loss of your dear, sweet, beautiful Abby. It is normal for us as humans to second guess our actions during times of grief and loss. But I want you to know that you need not do that. What you did for Abby was selfless and now she is not in pain and at great peace. She's in Heaven, looking down at you, comforting you, licking your face. She knows how much you loved her and she knows, just by you being there and your motherly energy and being, that you were with her til her very last breath. Abby felt you there, she sensed you there, and even if you did not verbally say goodbye at that very last second, she KNEW you were there and that you loved her so much.

Take good care of yourself, my friend. You know you have us here for you anytime.:hug2:

babybully

May 31, 2011
Great Lakes, North Chicago
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cleo, 2 1/2, and Mac, 2
I'm so sorry! Abby was so lucky to have you and you her. I will hold my babies extra tight tonight and think of Miss Abby. I felt the same way when I decided to let my 15 yo Boston Terrier go, he'd had a hard life and I rescued him later on so I know that he had the best life possible in the end. Thank you for loving her so much!

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Leslie I am so very sorry! You've been through so much in such a short period of time. Know that Abby is with wonderful bullies over at Rainbow Bridge. :hug: You keep going on and on and post as many pictures as you need sweetie, it helps the heart heal to be able to eventually smile. Thinking of you much!! xxx

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
I am so sorry for your loss and heartache recently. It's. Such a hard decision to make when it comes to saying goodbye to our fur babies. Having gone thru this in January with my Babie dog I more than understand your feelings and the second guessing if it was right. I know you did the most selfless thing you could've done and I know that Abby knew you were there, are your love was never a question - she knew she was loved. Big hugs from me and Guinevere, you're in our thoughts

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Leslie, I'm very sorry to hear about Abby's passing and so many heart wrenching
losses yet to deal with, I know it's so very, very hard and sad. Life can be so hard
and cruel to us but yet, you are strong enough to get thru these trials and when
you are ready, to move forward with life.

I drove my husband to the ER and let him out at the door to park the truck. When
I walked in, 5 minutes later, he was dead, he'd dropped at the admittance desk and
altho they worked on him for almost 2 hours, they never got him back. Like you, it
haunted me that I hadn't said goodbye or said, I love you before he went. This was
6 months ago, we had just moved for his new job, 5 hrs from our home and so I had
to move back to our house without him, Mother had a mental breakdown and as a
result, went into a deeper stage of Alzheimer's, my newly adopted bully of 6 months
died as a result of surgery, 4 months after losing Stuart. Brutus was so helpful in
getting me thru the crushing grief & horror I felt and from the instant we met, loved
each other as if we'd been together for years, when Brutus died, I grieved as deeply
as if I'd raised him from a puppy. I buried him in my side yard beneath a big tree and
underneath my bedroom window so this will be his forever home...as I had promised.

We did not have to have said goodbye or I love you...it goes w/out saying by now, they
know it, we know it, everyone knows it. We said it every day, several times a day to them.
And, if GOD said to you, "I'm going to give you, Abby but you'll only have her 13 years."
you know you'd still (knowing everything) would have taken her and would do so, again
and again. How wonderful you had her for so long and had her love and she...yours.

Leslie, I'm almost 7 months into all these tragedies and I'm still doing and thinking as you
stated, it's a NORMAL part of grief and I second guessed myself crazy...it will pass and it
will ease with time. It'll take time to accept these things that happened and still continuing
and find acceptance then peace with them but you will. Please do what you must to express
your grief, allow yourself to grieve and be kind, gentle and compassionate with yourself as
you would with a loved one...remember all you've ever said to comfort and console someone,
then tell it to yourself!

Our loved ones are whole, happy and waiting for us in time, it WAS Abby's time to go and you
did what a loving Mom would do for her, your final act of care for her and the right one.

GOD bless you, HE is with you thru this and everything, HE is aware of your brokeness and
holds you while you cry. Lean on Him, cry out to Him...Leslie, you ARE His beloved...never
forget that, HE will see you thru this and beyond. GOD is good and so will life be again for you.

I will keep you in my thoughts and in my prayers, Leslie. Much love, Carol

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
This was hard to read knowing that a dear friend is in so much pain. So much loss to endure, how much can one heart take? They say bad things happen in threes, so I hope this is the last of the heartache you will have to endure for a very long time, but unfortunately the pain of your losses will go on. I wish I had the magic words to make it better, but just know that we are here with you, hugging your broken heart from a far. You made the right choice for Abby, she knows how much you loved her and hopefully during these sad moments you can relive some of your happy moments together, and smile, if only for a moment, at the love she brought you all of those years. :hug:

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk :)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I am so sorry for your loss, but you did the right thing. She will always be in your heart.:hug:Hopefully there is a limit to one persons heartache and you will have only happiness in the future.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online