I lost my best friend over the weekend...

KristizHarleyGirl

Apr 11, 2012
Green Bay (area), Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Hi Lil Lily, I'm new to the forum but you're post was the first one I read yesterday at the top of the list (very grateful I did). I don't have time to reply right now but I'll be back on later. So sorry to hear about your besty Chesty. I have a bully, and I have no idea how I"m going to live without her... it looks like I may find out sooner than later. My heart is breaking and I know only another bulldog owner would understand.

I hope to connect w/ you later... Harleys' mama

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Hi Lil Lily, I'm new to the forum but you're post was the first one I read yesterday at the top of the list (very grateful I did). I don't have time to reply right now but I'll be back on later. So sorry to hear about your besty Chesty. I have a bully, and I have no idea how I"m going to live without her... it looks like I may find out sooner than later. My heart is breaking and I know only another bulldog owner would understand.

Welcome to EBN. Hope to see an introduction when you get a chance and also some pics to go along of course. I am sorry your baby isnt doing good, I hope everything is ok?

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester

Hey there!!

It's tough watching them get older, but you need to remember that dogs live in the moment and don't ever want you to feel sad about their age. They don't wake up and say my time is coming, I'm sad. They wake up and live it up no matter how they're feeling!! So you have to be strong, and stay positive for your Harley. I honestly believe they are born with a wisdom people are born without, and they were created to serve our needs, and show us how beautiful life is. What a selfless life contract they sign up for right? They must get some great reward for signing up for that roll! Dogs do not fear death at all, and are programmed by nature to be at peace with all of natures life cycles. To me, this is what they are here to teach us. Death, is a beautiful thing. And day by day, I'm realizing how his death IS a good thing. He completed his journey, he taught me so much, and now it's time for me to move forward with the wisdom he taught me. I honestly feel like a new man. It will be sad, you will cry, and you will hurt. But there is a light at the end of tunnel, and mourning is just a phase we all go through at some point. It made me sad NOT thinking about it, and the pain seems to be relentless. I was a wreck the first few days, but it IS getting easier. I'm finding comfort in knowing hes back home, and living his eternal life waiting for me to meet back up with him. And what's crazy is my DOG taught me that. Not my father, not my mother, not my reverend, not my bible, but my best friend Chester. He's given me a lot of faith in being on this earth, and not feeling scared anymore. I know it sounds horrible that I could be happy about his passing, but it honestly is bringing me closer to the meaning of life and "figuring it all out." Their is a lot of wisdom that comes from death, and I think that's what we all need to focus on when losing our beloved four legged family members. I wish you and Harley the best, and I hope that you can live out his days being happy for him, and just rejoicing about how privileged you are to be friends with such an amazing animal. He loves you beyond your wildest dreams, and you love him just as much. So try not to let your sadness show and live each day to the fullest! When you feel sad, just think like a dog! And if you ever need to talk about it PLEASE, let me know, or even better, let all of these amazing people know. This site was a HUGE tool to help me overcome the sadness that comes with death. Talking about it, crying about it, and sharing your thoughts/experiences is what its all about. And I know he guided me to do it that day, and ever since I've felt boat loads better. But again, he's still here!! Just love, and live it up with him!

Last edited:
OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
One other thing...

I was talking to my dad, and we were thinking about getting memorial tattoo's!! I was thinking about getting a nice portrait done on my arm, or somewhere on my chest. I found this though and thought it was beautiful! http://offthemaptattoo.com/tattoos/tattoos_25754.html To me this is an ultimate way of remembering him, and everyday I will be reminded and it will never fade away! I think I'm gonna start tracking this guy down. I feel like he did such a good job on this piece, I WANT ONE NOW LOL!

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
My heart breaks for your loss , I know the feeling all too well and my heart goes out to you, ahhh I"m just stuck for words. Bless you and cry when you need too!

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
My heart breaks for your loss , I know the feeling all too well and my heart goes out to you, ahhh I"m just stuck for words. Bless you and cry when you need too!

Thanks Gunny! I'm sorry about your boy as well my man, you and Gunny are in my prayers, stay strong!!

KristizHarleyGirl

Apr 11, 2012
Green Bay (area), Wisconsin
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
Hi LL,

Thank you for your heart warming reply. I also feel guided to this site after mentioning to my Mom that I would give anything to connect w/ another bully owner that I can relate to. The interesting part was I tripped on the site and was immediately drawn to your post. What was interesting about it is that you had written things that had come out of my own mouth hours before. I also am looking into having her memorialize w/ ink. When 'Pink' lost her bully, he drown in a pool, she was so crushed she also went and had him inked on her. That's when I adopted the idea.

Also you mentioned a dog psychic. My Mom has a friend who referred me to one and I had a reading with her a little over a week ago. It was very reassuring, she was able to connect to Harley's energy and provided insights that were specific to her and I, but also important for me to hear from a dogs perspective in general. She also explained that dogs don't fear death, it's a people issue. That put things into perspective for me. Now I'm enjoying the time I have w/ her knowing when the time comes I have the ability to provide her w/ a great gift of kindness. To drift off in peace and with her dignity. That is the least I can do for a friend who really has taught me about life, the trials of aging and the final walk to other side.

My Mom framed me a Zelda bulldog card where Zelda is in wings and a halo... not sure if you've seen it but the caption is "the other angels were busy so they sent me". I had no idea how true that would be when it was given to me so many years ago. She's seen me through almost a decade of highs and lows, velcroed to my side without judgement, nubby tail wagging while we walked through the journey. When I went through my divorce, living in a strange city/state, buried in my husbands debt, living on Ramen Noodles... I would wake up w/ her every morning, peel her tongue off the blanket, kiss her cheek and think to myself "no matter how hard things get I can never feel as pathetic as she looks". That always made me smile because she was just happy to be with me - she had no idea how pathetic she looked sometimes. Of course I think she's the most beautiful girl in the world - Miss America's got nothin on her...

Have to get going - my Mom is picking Harley and I up for a sleep over. I originally planned on tomorrow being the day to let her go but I'm taking my time w/ her for now. Every minute.

Thank you again for your reply - it was very much needed (and prayed for). More later. Hugz from me and my lil slow-n-low angel to all the bully firends. I'm glad to have found a place where ppl "get" me.

Peace and snorts,
Kristi

LucysMom

Community Veteran
Feb 8, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy(RIP) and Gizmo
I lost my bully baby Lucy on 4/3/12. I know just how painful it is to love them enough to let them go. One day at a time

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Awe! I'm so happy my post helped you! I was just pouring my thoughts out because it made ME feel better. To know that those thoughts helped you, really warms my heart. Really glad you found us! But I hear ya sister, it's sucks when they've gone through all the hard times with you. But for me, it marked a change in my life that was much needed. I feel like I was fearing him passing for a while now, and now that its behind me, it gave me the momentum I very much needed! It felt like a kick in the stomach initially, but like two day ago or so, I started feeling this great feeling. Wanna know what it was? Change! Life is all about change, and experience. I feel excited to know that Chester is safe, and pain free. I am sad that he's gone and I miss him, but I feel excited to be starting a new chapter of my life. And I know that he taught me that through his death, not his life. So it's like without going through that pain (still going through it) I would never feel what I am feeling now. I feel like I was reborn just as he was, so for that I celebrate his passing, and thank him everyday I wake up. He was one of the biggest blessings in my life, and I'm seriously honored to be his brother! Whatever happens though, I'm seriously here for you in every way that I can be. It honestly helps me helping you get through it, so we can team up on all this and make it easier for the both of us. A little easier that is...Keep us all updated on whatever happens.

That's awesome you brought her to a psychic! I'm really excited to see how it goes...Only thing I don't like is the woman I'm talking to can do it over the phone, but needs a picture of the dog that passed. To me, that's cheating. I want to find someone who doesn't need any kind of hints. I have a couple of questions though, what's wrong with your baby How did your session work exactly if you don't mind me asking?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
He's right. ([MENTION=4277]gunnyboy[/MENTION]) Sometimes, it really does take a long long time to get past the "an-elephant-is-sitting-on-my-chest" part. When I lost my Mable, I'd never, ever felt a pain so great. I'm an urban farmer right? I've had a gazillion pets over the years; cats, dogs, iguanas, parrots..... but Mable and I had been through so much together and I credit HER ALONE with getting me through it. How could this loss not hurt forever? I couldn't imagine not crying when I said her name. I thought, "Now I know what love is. I'm almost fifty years old and I'm just now learning this?" But the truth is, I've felt that way many, many times and the last one always seems like the worst. Mable died on Xmas day and in the months following, just THINKING about her made me cry - and believe me, I'm an old tattoo'd biker chick....hard as nails.....I thought I would die of grief.

And then, slowly.....surely.....day by day....week by week....month by month...it really did get better and then I was able to think about the POSSIBILITY of a new dog in my life. Getting Bea was a godsend toward healing and I am grateful you have Lilly to help you through this. Your relationship with her will be all the more important to you because she is there for you during this time.

Those folks that say, "It's just a dog...".... I don't know any of those people. I really don't. Because the minute something like that comes out of a mouth, I'm already walking away. I think, "It's just a dog, huh? Well, you're just a dumbsh*t. Good luck with that."

Hang in there, buddy.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
He's right. (@gunnyboy) Sometimes, it really does take a long long time to get past the "an-elephant-is-sitting-on-my-chest" part. When I lost my Mable, I'd never, ever felt a pain so great. I'm an urban farmer right? I've had a gazillion pets over the years; cats, dogs, iguanas, parrots..... but Mable and I had been through so much together and I credit HER ALONE with getting me through it. How could this loss not hurt forever? I couldn't imagine not crying when I said her name. I thought, "Now I know what love is. I'm almost fifty years old and I'm just now learning this?" But the truth is, I've felt that way many, many times and the last one always seems like the worst. Mable died on Xmas day and in the months following, just THINKING about her made me cry - and believe me, I'm an old tattoo'd biker chick....hard as nails.....I thought I would die of grief.

And then, slowly.....surely.....day by day....week by week....month by month...it really did get better and then I was able to think about the POSSIBILITY of a new dog in my life. Getting Bea was a godsend toward healing and I am grateful you have Lilly to help you through this. Your relationship with her will be all the more important to you because she is there for you during this time.

Those folks that say, "It's just a dog...".... I don't know any of those people. I really don't. Because the minute something like that comes out of a mouth, I'm already walking away. I think, "It's just a dog, huh? Well, you're just a dumbsh*t. Good luck with that."

Hang in there, buddy.

I agree, I like dogs better then people so they can say w.e lol

LoveMyBully82

Aug 30, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I'm so sorry for your loss. When I was 21 I lost my childhood pet - a black lab - (he was 11 also) and it was HARD. I cried so much, but eventually God gave me peace and joy to replace my sadness. Think about your fond memories with him and know that he was here for a reason, and now his mission is done. He brought much joy and comfort to your life, as you did his. Praying for you and your family during this sad time.

Last edited:

aimeeleighmyers

Apr 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank and Desmosedici
The memorial video is so beautiful. My bully boys would give you lots of love in this sad time if they could. Sending you all my strength.

LucysMom

Community Veteran
Feb 8, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy(RIP) and Gizmo
Any one who says "Just a dog" has clearly never loved a dog. Especially a bulldog. My husband and kids joke that "NO ONE will ever love me as much as Lucy does"

He's right. (@gunnyboy) Sometimes, it really does take a long long time to get past the "an-elephant-is-sitting-on-my-chest" part. When I lost my Mable, I'd never, ever felt a pain so great. I'm an urban farmer right? I've had a gazillion pets over the years; cats, dogs, iguanas, parrots..... but Mable and I had been through so much together and I credit HER ALONE with getting me through it. How could this loss not hurt forever? I couldn't imagine not crying when I said her name. I thought, "Now I know what love is. I'm almost fifty years old and I'm just now learning this?" But the truth is, I've felt that way many, many times and the last one always seems like the worst. Mable died on Xmas day and in the months following, just THINKING about her made me cry - and believe me, I'm an old tattoo'd biker chick....hard as nails.....I thought I would die of grief.

Hang in there, buddy.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.