I lost my best friend over the weekend...

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Thanks a lot everyone, and I'm really happy the video is showing how much I loved my fat lil guy...I felt like that song really helped connect people to my feelings, and my dog! I searched all day long yesterday and watched it probably 50 times with different music until I found the perfect song. As soon as the guitar started and I saw that first picture I was a wreck, and knew that was the right one.

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
I'm soo sorry to hear about Chester's passing! I had a rottie that I had to put down, about 7 yrs ago. Was the hardest thing I had to do in my life! I always swore I would never keep him alive just for me. It was time to do it, but I didn't want to. He was at the emergency vets and they gave me the grim news. He kept looking back at me and going to the door and was like.."can we go yet?" When they put him down he laid his big mellon ( he weighed 180 lbs not fat at all) on my lap and fell asleep. It killed me! Had a very difficult time getting over that! I Swore I'd never get another dog again! I couldn't take it. It took me five years to get another one. Now I have 3! Bubba is my only Bully. He is awesome! I dread the dread that he passes but I cherish every day with him. I will say prayers that you find peace. Just know that he loved you dearly and you loved him just as much. He had a great life it sounds! You will see him again someday...on that rainbow bridge. The vet sent me that poem when my rottie died. I cried my eyes out and have watched it over and over. If you haven't seen it...find it online. You will cry..but it's sweet. Stay strong..this do get better. You're video was awesome! Great song choice also. I had to smile at the ending statement. My bully is named 'Bubba'. I wish you well.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
I'm soo sorry to hear about Chester's passing! I had a rottie that I had to put down, about 7 yrs ago. Was the hardest thing I had to do in my life! I always swore I would never keep him alive just for me. It was time to do it, but I didn't want to. He was at the emergency vets and they gave me the grim news. He kept looking back at me and going to the door and was like.."can we go yet?" When they put him down he laid his big mellon ( he weighed 180 lbs not fat at all) on my lap and fell asleep. It killed me! Had a very difficult time getting over that! I Swore I'd never get another dog again! I couldn't take it. It took me five years to get another one. Now I have 3! Bubba is my only Bully. He is awesome! I dread the dread that he passes but I cherish every day with him. I will say prayers that you find peace. Just know that he loved you dearly and you loved him just as much. He had a great life it sounds! You will see him again someday...on that rainbow bridge. The vet sent me that poem when my rottie died. I cried my eyes out and have watched it over and over. If you haven't seen it...find it online. You will cry..but it's sweet. Stay strong..this do get better. You're video was awesome! Great song choice also. I had to smile at the ending statement. My bully is named 'Bubba'. I wish you well.

It's funny because his name was Chester, but we just usually called him "fat bubba", or just "bubba." I think it just comes natural to all bully owners, they just have that "bub" kinda look haha!!

Very sorry about your Rottie, and honestly your story brought a tear because it sounds like you experienced the SAME thing I dealt with at the vet. He was panting and staring up at the door like, "please, can't we just do this at home..I know it's time, but just not here." I always pictured his body giving out, and him not being able to walk. I think that's what made it soooooo, soooooo hard. I was able to walk him right into the vet, and it just seemed ok, but he really was fighting it. I think he was trying to hide it, so we didn't get upset. I really do believe he was suffering a lot more then he should of just to appear normal to us...He loved my family, and I know he wasn't ready either and wanted to stay as long as he possibly could. But we had to be strong, and stop the suffering and let him rest. Ugh, such a horrible feeling that YOU are the one saying its OK to put them down. The vet wouldn't say it. She said there was nothing she could do, and kept offering we make him comfortable but it won't fix him. I could tell she was having a hard time, and wanted it to be our choice...I don't know how those people do it, I'd be a basket case every time I had to do that.

Thanks for your prayers, and I appreciate you sharing your story with me. Very comforting reading peoples stories, and their experiences. I appreciate everyone's help, and beautiful words. And again, my heart goes out to everyone who has ever had to do this. I know it's hard to talk about, and I commend you all for being so understanding/comforting to a stranger on the internet. Your all beautiful people!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Chester is so handsome and sounds like he was an amazing bullie! Your story and video brought tears to my eyes...it was evident that you two were best friends and had a special bond. I am so sorry for your loss. :cry: It is hard now but it does get easier. He was very much loved and had a long happy life and you have tons of wonderful memories to make you smile when the hurt eases a bit. My thoughts are with you.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
So sorry for your loss. While it can't replace him, Hopefully cuddles with Lilly can help ease your grief.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
:cry: so, incredibly sorry for your loss. You video is such a wonderful tribute to a beautiful bully and 'right hand man'.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
So sorry for your loss....I know this is going to be a hard time but just remember all the good times you had together!

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
So, so sorry for the loss of your best friend! The video of Chester was a beautiful tribute to such a handsome guy! I hope you find some comfort soon!!!

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
This is officially my favorite forum now...

You guys are too much, and I seriously love the crap outta all of ya! Today I felt was a huge uplift. I showed my parents this, and the video and it helped cheer them up. I feel x2 bad for them because they have to live in that house. I at least get a breather. If there's anyone you pray for, please pray for my mother and father. My mom is taking is especially hard...

But once again, you guys are all amazing people. I don't know anything about any of you yet, but I can tell your my kinda people lol! I'm not sure where I would be right now without you all, and I seriously mean that. I feel like he told me to get back on here and share with you all, and I'm so happy I did.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
My heart goes out to you and your family, the video was beautiful and no doubt about it, the song was so fitting. He is such a beautiful boy, and his memory will always be with you and never die. You must try to remember that he would never want you to be sad, so please don't feel guilty. I also find comfort in your posts, they are very well written and completely brought me into your moment, not only that but feeling your pain and sorrow.... almost as if it was my own.

I am very glad you found our forum too, I do think many are brought here by tragedy but also find strength and uplifting words from the members here whom are the best people I have ever known, with the common bond, we all cherish our bulldogs.

:hug:

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Sorry for you loss. I just finished watching that lovely video. Had to reach down and pet my Mr. Wilson who is at my feet and appreciate that he's here with me now and hope that I will be as loving as you when it's his time. Sounds like Chester had a great life full of love and it was his time to return to heaven with the other angel bullys.

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
My heart goes out to you and your family, the video was beautiful and no doubt about it, the song was so fitting. He is such a beautiful boy, and his memory will always be with you and never die. You must try to remember that he would never want you to be sad, so please don't feel guilty. I also find comfort in your posts, they are very well written and completely brought me into your moment, not only that but feeling your pain and sorrow.... almost as if it was my own.

I am very glad you found our forum too, I do think many are brought here by tragedy but also find strength and uplifting words from the members here whom are the best people I have ever known, with the common bond, we all cherish our bulldogs.

:hug:

Thank you so much for your thoughts! He is a beautiful guy, inside and out. He was such an amazing dog, and it really makes me feel privileged which is also a huge uplift. I feel sooo lucky to have been in his life for so long, and just to have been in his life period. Each day I find a new reason to be happy for him, and let go of my sadness and stop being so selfish about it. I try to keep telling myself he completed his journey with me, and now he wants me to start a new one. I don't think I could have took a step forward without him passing and it needed to happen in order for me to grow up. He was the last piece of my childhood, and I clung to him so tight not willing to let it go. I was subconsciously using Chester as a reason to stay in my past and not move forward. I think by him passing it was him saying, its ok to move forward without me and live your life. I lived my life, and now you must live yours. I honestly feel our ultimate fates are sealed, and he was strategically placed in my life to help me learn and feel. I thank my parents so much for taking me that day to pick him out, because he honestly changed my life. The breeder said "now before you go picking one 2 are taken." I was looking at Chester the whole time knowing it was him because he was the coolest pup there. But to my amazement he was still for sale, and was waiting for me to pick him up and bring him home. I was drawn to his colors, and his funny personality as soon as I laid eyes on the litter. They were all beautiful little pups don't get me wrong, but Chester stuck out to me. Chester and my family were seriously meant to be, and truly believe that. It honestly is giving me comfort about life in general too. I'm not a very religious person, and I didn't really believe in god and all of that heaven and hell stuff. But after all this happening its showing me life is not so simple, and maybe to have a little faith in the natural process of living and dying. And maybe, just maybe, have faith in god and the thought that this is just a part of a beautiful learning process specifically constructed to help us all on our spiritual journey. Through death comes eternal life and wisdom. I now truly believe that, all because of my dog. Who would have thought a dog could help someone so much?

OP
LiLlilly

LiLlilly

Mar 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lilly, Chester
Sorry for you loss. I just finished watching that lovely video. Had to reach down and pet my Mr. Wilson who is at my feet and appreciate that he's here with me now and hope that I will be as loving as you when it's his time. Sounds like Chester had a great life full of love and it was his time to return to heaven with the other angel bullys.

Glad you enjoyed it! I'm SURE he's having a blast. If there was one thing that dog knew, it was how to have fun. He lived for his toys. He would often take a toy with him on his walks. We would be walking out the door and last second he would grab a pull toy. He just loved destroying things, and lived to show his talents at ripping things apart haha! I'm sure he has all the cardboard boxes, and pull toys he could ever imagine lol.

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
I know the pain your feeling right now, I just lost my Gunnyboy last week and I miss him so much. they say with time it gets better, but it will take a life time for me. Just hang in there and know hes waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Members online

No members online now.