We had to put our baby Lucy down on 4/3/2012

LucysMom

Community Veteran
Feb 8, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy(RIP) and Gizmo
In December our 7 1/2 year old bully Lucy began having a cough. Not often, or regularly, but it came and went. I was very worried it might be congestive heart failure since it sounded wet, but unproductive, so in January we took her to the vet and they thought maybe respiratory infection and prescribed antibiotic. It didnt help and the cough got worse. So they prescribed a cough suppressant and the cough got worse. Maybe allergies..............try benedryl, and the cough got worse. Maybe collapsing trachea.......at this point she is coughing at most exertion. We got her shots mid February and she had a reaction. Became lame for a week. Back to the vet. This time her heart and lungs didnt sound normal. She had an irregular heart beat. Maybe from pain? She became short of breath very easily, but was eating and toileting as usual.So in March we went back again and demanded an xray and bloodwork. Bloodwork was mostly normal, white blood cell high normal, but otherwise normal. Her xray was not. Her lung had a large mass. Her heart sounds were absent on one side. Suspected cancer and the vet suggested euthanasia. We decided to get a second opinion. The second opinion, using the previous vets xrays, thought perhaps pneumonia. Maybe. Put her on prednisone, Baytril, amoxicillin, aminophylline and something for sprinkling on her food for possible worm s(which was not really likely, but hey, lets try) and asked us to return in 3 weeks. She seemed to get a little better at first, but then after 2 weeks, she started getting a blue/purple tongue sometimes. So, on the 3rd of April we took her back. The vet considered new meds maybe, but wanted to repeat the xrays first. Lucy's tongue turned purple a few times in the vets office. Ater re-doing her xrays on much better equipment, the vet showed my husband the xrays. She had 8 nodules on her lungs, her lungs were mostly nodule. The vet said there was nothing more he could do.Most likely cancer and clearly she was suffering. So, with the absolute heaviest hearts, we whispered in our babies ear and did the last loving thing we could for her...we let her go to sleep. She was loving and happy and such a big part of our lives. The house is quiet and the silence is deafening. We will love her FOREVER

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
:( So very sorry for your loss. Please know that she's loving it right now at Rainbow Bridge and looking over you and your fam. Thank you for giving her such a wonderful life.

Goodbye sweet Lucy. :heart:

Last edited:

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
Omg!! I am sorry for you loss. :cry: But she is now happy and healthy at the Rainbow Bridge. :hug:

L

Lucy-licious

I am so sorry for your loss @LucysMom...Know that she is pain free and peaceful as she plays with the other babies waiting at the Rainbow Bridge xx

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh I am so sorry. You did the bravest/hardest thing that we can do as pup parents. As hard as it was, you put your baby first. What a good mama you are and now she is happy and healthy once again. I wish I could help to heal your broken heart a little tho. :*(

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm so very sorry. Sweet Lucy was a lucky Bully to have had parents like you. This final act of love and compassion is the hardest to do. Like everyone else has said..she is feeling sassy and fine at The Rainbow Bridge. I know what you mean about the stillness of your house and I too have too often felt the sadness you are experiencing. Only time will help turn your tears into warm memories. And Lucy will ALWAYS stay near in your heart. Hang with us here...we will help you . :hug:

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I am so sorry to hear about Lucy. Its the hardest thing we do as pet parents, its never easy. Just be at peace that she is no longer suffering and running free at the bridge waiting for you.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my i am so sorry to hear this. its the hardest thing we have to do as bully pawrents. let them go when its time. i wish your hearts to mend and there to once again be a doggie presence in your home when the time is right. :hug:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I am so sorry to read all of this, it did not sound as if anything went right since December. This is the one thing I really hate about Vets, you can see 4 vets for the same thing and they all have a different diagnosis, and whether they have good equipment or not. It hurts my heart to read all of that she went through.

I know it hurts but be so glad she is no longer suffering, you have done what is best for her. Bless you and your family, RIP sweet Lucy xxoo

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I am so sorry for your loss, Lucy was a beautiful girl, and now she is health and happy at Rainbow Bridge. It is always hard to put a loved one down, but it was the right thing to do for her. You will forever have her memories with you.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I am soo sorry for your loss! I know how difficult this is but just remember you did the right thing for her!

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I am so sorry for your loss. Lucy will forever be in our hearts and prayers. I hope that you will find strength to get thru this difficult time just know you are not alone. Keeping you in our thoughts.

R.I.P. Lucy:heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online