Nitschke ... RIP my sweet boy2004-2011

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
There's a stone I had made for Luke at the top of the hill road, where the pasture opens wide and the setting sun highlights the words carved into its face. "That'll do, Luke, that'll do." The words are said to working dogs all over the world when the chores are done and the flock is settled: "That'll do dog, come home now, your work is done." Luke's work is done too. He took my heart and ran with it, and he's running still, fast and strong, a piece of my heart bound up with his, forever.

Patricia McConnell
For the Love of a Dog

Most heartfelt condolences during this awful time. I know the pain well and wouldn't wish it's fury on anyone; even my worst enemy. Simply put; it just hurts far too much.

RIP Sweet Boy

With all the love in the world,
Vicki, Bea & Bo

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you all so much for you love, support and kind words. It has been a very rough night and all your posts have helped us through - thoughts and words are hard to form right now, but I wanted to share a FB post from a friend of ours that is by no means a 'dog person' (he does not hate them, but his nervous energy sends the wrong vibe to dogs, however it never bothered Nitshcke) as it truly expresses how absolutely wonderful and sweet our boy was.

He has taken my heart with him and he will always be with me. Terry's words has place a very warm smile in my heart knowing how special he was to anyone that met him.

Terry Cummings -- Christine, I'm so sorry to hear about Nitschke. I know how much you and Lewis love Nitschke and what a big part of your life he was. I hope you know that he touched everyone he met (even me) and made everyone fall in love with him at first sight. He was probably the best ambassador for bull dogs ever and he always greeted me with a smile and butt wiggle, and as you know that is not always the case with every dog out there. He was and will always be a special guy.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh my gosh, this is the worst part about ebn, coming on and finding this news. :*( I am so sorry! I have no words to help but hugs to you and your family and to Banks too. I always worry so much how it will effect the pup left behind. I love your friends comment, very well said!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I am so sorry to find this thread .. I had hoped that everything would be ok. There are no words to take away the pain, but just know that all of your EBN family are with you as you go thorough this period of loss and mourning.

Love and Hugs to you all.

Alicia M Kouw

Aug 15, 2011
Michigan
Bulldog(s) Names
Zoey and Louie
OMG, so sorry to hear of your loss. Brought tears to my eyes reading it :'( You are in my thoughts hugs from Zoey, Louie and myself!

NICASFINEST

Dec 9, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
BUGZY
Am so sorry to hear this, i could only imagine what u must be feeling, at least u were by his side as he passed, it brought tears to my eyes to read this..bully hugs to u

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I am so sorry for you and your family's loss...
Just want to wish you God's speed with your healing.

Your poor Banks lost a friend too.. How is he coping.?
One loss can affect sooooo many!

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We just finished a 20 minute call with our vet, Dr. Rossi... he is a man that not only loves what he does and the animals, he cares for his skin-clients just as much. He tried to call us last night, but we had turned off the phone. He explained everything, answered all our questions and even cried with us.

As suspected, he knew it was a long shot Nitshcke would make it through the day, when he last called me yesterday at around 4:00. Knowing that, he did all he could to make sure we were able to see and hold our boy before he passed. He sent two of his techs with Nitschke hooked up to a monitor in his car, with meds at the ready and he was on speaker phone to ensure he at least made it to the emergency room, which we were so thankful, as he did. We got to see and hold him before he passed. Nitshcke did pass within 15 minutes of arrival and we spent about 20-30 minutes saying goodbye. The hospital gave us a clay paw print with his name and a small bag of his hair -- they were great.

For several reasons, Dr. Rossi wanted to do an autopsy, we declined as it would not change or tell us anything more than we already knew. He informed us there was nothing he or we could have seen or detected to prevent what and how this all happened. Nitschke had developed two masses on his spline, unknown if cancer, but they did play a role in the decline of his liver and heart. He gave us the medical term, which I do not remember, but what happen is not breed specific, or dog related, it happens everyday to animals and humans alike. Once the spline became diseased, it impacted the valves to the heart and his liver... there are no signs or reasons to look for it until it is too late. It is a very quick process (only word I can think of).. he stated this most likely all happened over a few weeks.

We have solace in the fact our baby had a great life, stem-cell therapy gave him the opportunity to be a puppy for the last 7 months of his life, he gave us and all those he met a great joy and he did not in anyway suffer.

Thank you all for all the kind, caring and support!
Love
Christine, Lewis, Banks... and Nitschke.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
I read this last night an literally gasped "oh no!" out loud, and cried...to me it's like all bullies are the same dog knit together and each passing is tangibly painful.

Stay strong and I know you and you're family will find peace through knowing your baby felt loved, happy and comfortable, and your lives are richer for it...

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
So, so sorry for your loss. I know how painful it is but try to remember what a wonderful life you had with Nitschke - that love and those memories will live forever.

Peace and love. :hug:

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am so sorry for you and your family's loss...
Just want to wish you God's speed with your healing.

Your poor Banks lost a friend too.. How is he coping.?
One loss can affect sooooo many!

Banks seems fine... no noticeable change to her demeanor, yet.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Banks seems fine... no noticeable change to her demeanor, yet.

I cried many times last night and even some today. Everytime one of us dies it makes us remember all of the loss's we've ever had. I have thought of you many times today and am still praying for you. I know you are a strong woman like myself, but the power of prayer can take off the weight in your heavy heart. Peace be with you my bully friend

Members online

No members online now.