mab8183

Jan 27, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stevie
Brought my 6 year old bulldog to the vet last week for a sore on his back and vet prescribed an antibiotic because she thought it was a hot spot. A couple years ago he started losing his hair and his side have gotten bumps on them the last week or so. The vet thought the balding could be his thyroid but his thyroid tested fine. Has anyone had issues like this with their bulldog? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• stevie 1.jpg
    stevie 1.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 172
  • stevie 2.jpg
    stevie 2.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 193

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Brought my 6 year old bulldog to the vet last week for a sore on his back and vet prescribed an antibiotic because she thought it was a hot spot. A couple years ago he started losing his hair and his side have gotten bumps on them the last week or so. The vet thought the balding could be his thyroid but his thyroid tested fine. Has anyone had issues like this with their bulldog? Thanks in advance.

Hello & Welcome

That’s far beyond hotspot. Definitely you need to build his immune system. But first what is he eating n what else did the vet do or gave as meds.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]???

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
has the patient been evaluated for Cushing's?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My first thought was thyroid. As Oscarmayer stated, I would have him checked for Cushings. Does it have a greasy feel and foul smell? There is something called Acanthosis Nigrans that I saw a dachshund with once when working at a vet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

agree with Chip... Cushing test?

OP
M

mab8183

Jan 27, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stevie
Hello & Welcome

That’s far beyond hotspot. Definitely you need to build his immune system. But first what is he eating n what else did the vet do or gave as meds.
[MENTION=15364]oscarmayer[/MENTION] [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION]???

i know the hair loss isn't a hot spot, we think that is some sort of canine alopecia, but he recently formed a sore where his hair loss is. we feed him taste of the wild

OP
M

mab8183

Jan 27, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stevie
will talk to the vet tomorrow about cushings disease, thanks all!

OP
M

mab8183

Jan 27, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stevie
the vet prescribed a 'scrub' (forget what its called) already looking better, she did not think cushings as she has seen that before and he really has no other symptoms, we also started him back on melatonin. he loves being on the porch when its nice out and hasn't been able to be out there recently due to the cold weather so she thinks it may be a seasonal thing as its never been this bad

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
the vet prescribed a 'scrub' (forget what its called) already looking better, she did not think cushings as she has seen that before and he really has no other symptoms, we also started him back on melatonin. he loves being on the porch when its nice out and hasn't been able to be out there recently due to the cold weather so she thinks it may be a seasonal thing as its never been this bad

Add some vitamin d too.... that helped with Lambeau SFA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
M

mab8183

Jan 27, 2021
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Stevie
good idea! thanks!

Most Reactions