suggestions for skin once cleared but now dry

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi guys
Oliver developed hot spots ( allergy and I think steroid related ) back early January. we had them tested and had many options.
We chose to try Nu Stock and take him off all meds and go raw.. YAY!! lesions are 90 % gone.
We have been bathing him once a week and applying the Nu stock.

Now his skin seems a little dry?

any suggestions as I don't want to upset his skin or cause him to break out or lose hair again.

wasn't sure if I should just ride it out.
He takes fish oil supplement and I think the Raw is helping hair grow back.

the dry parts are where the lesions were .. they are all dried out and flaking off.

thanks for any input... :)

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Maybe try rubbing in some coconut oil?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was going to suggest coconut oil as well.... I used it on Lambeau when he had a hotspot break out as a puppy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
You're washing him too often. Natural oils are all coming out. Jake had 2 hot spots not too long ago. All gone. I shaved around the hot spot, washed with Dawn dish, added NuStock for 2 days in a row. All is growing back now. I go to my son's house to visit n he doesn't seem to like the GS. Jake stresses easily.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
You're washing him too often. Natural oils are all coming out. Jake had 2 hot spots not too long ago. All gone. I shaved around the hot spot, washed with Dawn dish, added NuStock for 2 days in a row. All is growing back now. I go to my son's house to visit n he doesn't seem to like the GS. Jake stresses easily.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

We actually never bathe him unless necessary. I was bathing him once a week with the shampoo the vet had given us for the lesions. the Nu stock says to wash off completely before adding more.
That is only reasons for continued bathing but I do agree as maybe the baths are what is drying his skin out. thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to suggest coconut oil as well.... I used it on Lambeau when he had a hotspot break out as a puppy

do you just apply a thin layer?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
We actually never bathe him unless necessary. I was bathing him once a week with the shampoo the vet had given us for the lesions. the Nu stock says to wash off completely before adding more.
That is only reasons for continued bathing but I do agree as maybe the baths are what is drying his skin out. thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

do you just apply a thin layer?

Weekly bathing will dry out the skin depending on what kind of shampoo you are using. Jax used to have to get weekly baths because of his allergies before he starting getting the Cytopoint. I would usually rotate between Ketohex and Chlorhexidine shampoo. I actually read an article, and I don't remember where, but that you should not use Dawn for a regular dog bath because it strips all the natural oils which kind of makes sense seeing that they use it on animals after oil spills, etc.

Yes, a thin layer of coconut oil and you can apply a couple times a day.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Weekly bathing will dry out the skin depending on what kind of shampoo you are using. Jax used to have to get weekly baths because of his allergies before he starting getting the Cytopoint. I would usually rotate between Ketohex and Chlorhexidine shampoo. I actually read an article, and I don't remember where, but that you should not use Dawn for a regular dog bath because it strips all the natural oils which kind of makes sense seeing that they use it on animals after oil spills, etc.

Yes, a thin layer of coconut oil and you can apply a couple times a day.

Awesome ! thank you . Yes we were using Chlorhexidine shampoo also. I am going to hold off on the bath for now and just try some coconut oil.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Awesome ! thank you . Yes we were using Chlorhexidine shampoo also. I am going to hold off on the bath for now and just try some coconut oil.

Yep... Citty got you!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

I do use dawn “only” to remove/strip everything out of skin “if” it’s a skin issue. That being said, yes I will use after their bath coconut oil or a healthy carrier oil like jojoba oil or black cumin oil. Actually, black cumin oil on it’s own is really great for inflammation :). So long you put back moisture to the skin. Also.....Eucalyptus have been shown to reduce inflammation, swelling, and pain :2thumbs:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.