Paw moisturizer for Bulldogs like balm or others , recommendations

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
I wipe Bruschi ā€˜s paws everyday with baby wipes after our walkie to keep his paws clean.

I donā€™t know if baby wipes dry their paws. Is there any balm or cream recommendations like us humans do with skin care that applies to our dogs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I love Mushers secret

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I haven't tried Musher's Secret yet, but I did order the kit from Natural Dog Company. They have a balm for the paws, and it seems to work okay...

OP
MissWaddles13

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Pawsome! I appreciate the recommendations. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good one! Lol

Eventually I will attempt to make my own. Jan - March is quiet for me...Will play in the kitchen. Itā€™s basically a couple different wax, essential oils.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Isn't it a bit tricky to put something on the paws (the pad, that is) as it will end up on the floor or the dog will lick it off? I would consider some oil or something that will moisturise the dog from the inside, so to speak.

Castor has always had dry paws but they have become much smoother over the last month since he started on a new fatty acid oil. He used to get salmon oil but I wasn't sure it did any good so I bought an oil called Nutrolin. It's from Finland, made from plant oils (no fish) and actually seems to work; Castor's paws are now almost like baby feet, his coat is looking great and he doesn't lick or scratch himself as much as before.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
I only use pawsitive FX as even if they lick it, itā€™s natural n has essential oils. But why I use it because here in the wintertime when you walk your dogs they either use little stones mixed with salt or sand. Also I like their paws a bit thick not too thin either for protection to all weather. Just like our dog sleigh they wonā€™t have too much of anything on their paws so they build a healthy thickness paw to mush... Nyala has normal soft paws but Jake has much thicker paws as he was raised outside. Why itā€™s important to bring them out in all seasons n not to use them booties or use less... well thatā€™s my opinion.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Not too hard to make your own either. https://ontariospca.ca/blog/protect-your-pets-paws-diy-paw-balm-for-pets/ I made my own 2 years ago but hardly used it since I agree with you- good to toughen up their paws.

If you want original bag balm you can get it direct from bag balm if you are in USA eg. https://bagbalm.com/collections/all/products/bag-balm-vermonts-original-animal-bundle-pack-animal-8-ounce-tin-2-ounce-tube-for-cracked-paws-dry-noses-hot-spots

I think bag balm is unique with its hydroxyquinoline combined with the Petrolatum, Lanolin, and Paraffin Wax so it will act as an antiseptic for hot spots. If it's just for paws you can make your own, buy other brands such as Mushers Secret, or use Bag Balm.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Good one! Lol

Eventually I will attempt to make my own. Jan - March is quiet for me...Will play in the kitchen. Itā€™s basically a couple different wax, essential oils.

You won't be able to duplicate bag balm unless you have access to hydroxyquinoline.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Not too hard to make your own either. https://ontariospca.ca/blog/protect-your-pets-paws-diy-paw-balm-for-pets/ I made my own 2 years ago but hardly used it since I agree with you- good to toughen up their paws.

If you want original bag balm you can get it direct from bag balm if you are in USA eg. https://bagbalm.com/collections/all/products/bag-balm-vermonts-original-animal-bundle-pack-animal-8-ounce-tin-2-ounce-tube-for-cracked-paws-dry-noses-hot-spots

I think bag balm is unique with its hydroxyquinoline combined with the Petrolatum, Lanolin, and Paraffin Wax so it will act as an antiseptic for hot spots. If it's just for paws you can make your own, buy other brands such as Mushers Secret, or use Bag Balm.

No thatā€™s not the original itā€™s the newer version. But they still make the original one and all unavailable for now. I did speak n email to numerous people. Seems the one I want is made in Quebec as Vermont n Quebec linked together to make this one. Quebec has the biggest dairy farms in Canada and why they linked together many years ago as I was told. See the photo? Not same ingredients

6D77BA99-37B8-4AA4-9443-EECD539475A8.jpeg

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
No thatā€™s not the original itā€™s the newer version. But they still make the original one and all unavailable for now. I did speak n email to numerous people. Seems the one I want is made in Quebec as Vermont n Quebec linked together to make this one. Quebec has the biggest dairy farms in Canada and why they linked together many years ago as I was told. See the photo? Not same ingredients

View attachment 117857

The only difference is that the new one also has paraffin= candle wax. Wouldn't you say that's a good thing for paws ? I'm not sure what the impact would be for hot spots... Probably be a bit too occlusive for hot spots so old formula would be better. I would rather use an antibiotic ointment or betadine for hot spots anyway, but that's just me. I actually bought a tin of new formula and I've been applying it using 2 separate cosmetic round pads on Honey's bum and vulvar area if she's been scooting. I also up the fibre if she starts to scoot.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The only difference is that the new one also has paraffin= candle wax. Wouldn't you say that's a good thing for paws ? I'm not sure what the impact would be for hot spots... Probably be a bit too occlusive for hot spots so old formula would be better. I would rather use an antibiotic ointment or betadine for hot spots anyway, but that's just me. I actually bought a tin of new formula and I've been applying it using 2 separate cosmetic round pads on Honey's bum and vulvar area if she's been scooting. I also up the fibre if she starts to scoot.

Scoot usually is a sign of irritation, worms, lump etc... fiber wonā€™t stop scooting. But makes a nice :potty: though :)

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online