What shampoo do you use and how often do you bathe?

afo1201

Jun 11, 2019
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cody
Hello, i want to establish a bathing schedule, my pup is indoors 90% of the time, doesnt really stink but i want to establish a good bathing schedule, should i bathe every 2 weeks? 3 weeks? what shampoo to use? what do you do and use? do you use conditioner as well? which one?

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Hello, i want to establish a bathing schedule, my pup is indoors 90% of the time, doesnt really stink but i want to establish a good bathing schedule, should i bathe every 2 weeks? 3 weeks? what shampoo to use? what do you do and use? do you use conditioner as well? which one?

I only use organic Castiel Soap n add lavender essential oil in it. I never use conditioners. If they got into mud or something like that I will use the original Dawn dish soap. I make my own spray like 4oz of Fractionated Coconut Oil, quality essential oils: 5drops of lavender n 3drops of lemongrass (not lemon nor citrus). I spray them n run my hands on them so it seeps into their coat. You never wash a dog too often as it needs their natural oils. If you wash them too often they often develop skin issues. In the summer I have a kiddy pool so they play in it. Winter I go to the pet valu and wash them myself with my soap. So, Couple times in the winter and couple times in the summer. Use fragrance free baby wipes and clean him on daily basis. Especially in the folds, ears, paws etc. also use them baby wipes to clean his coat.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I cannot remember the last time Monty had a bath. He does not get muddy or dirty, is not smelly and his skin is fine. I wipe his face and folds and since his tail pocket surgery, no more problems there. My wire-haired dachshund, on the other hand gets a bath about every 3 or 4 months. It depends on the dog.

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
I don’t remember when Bella’s last bath was. She isn’t smelly ever!
She is in the pool a lot though.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I cannot remember the last time Monty had a bath. He does not get muddy or dirty, is not smelly and his skin is fine. I wipe his face and folds and since his tail pocket surgery, no more problems there. My wire-haired dachshund, on the other hand gets a bath about every 3 or 4 months. It depends on the dog.

Same here with Punk - she is inside, with a dog door. Her fur is soft and silky. Missy I will bathe every once in a while because her skin gets dry easy.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
Louie probably only gets a few baths per year unless he gets super dirty but he generally does not get stinky. Too much bathing can dry out the skin. If there are skin issues, a medicated shampoo like Ketohex or Chlorohexdine won't dry out the skin and you can bathe more frequently.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I bathe my bullies 2-3 times a YEAR. When the food is right for them they will not smell and by bathing every 2-3 weeks you will only wash away their natural skin protection. Frequent bathing is only necessary if there is serious skin problems. If there is not you may only cause them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My guys get baths twice a year... I’m lazy and use a groomer with instructions to not use oatmeal shampoo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
To add to Afo’s question how often does the bunghole get cleaned. I can drill down a wipe a knuckle or two a get awful dirty results. Our vet told me we would be okay to clean Rogans arse every other day. We normally give the boys a bath every other weekend.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I use the Petsmart Brand of Puppy Tearless Shampoo, and I usually bathe my guys about once a month. Dozer has a lot of allergies and his fur seems to feel greasy, and sometimes he gets a sour smell due to the allergies.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor only takes a bath ... well, shower... if he has a skin issue, and then only with chlorehexidine shampoo. If paws are muddy, I just dry them with towels (we have a stash of old terry towels that are easy to wash). I agree with responses above - do not bathe dogs of not needed.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Castor only takes a bath ... well, shower... if he has a skin issue, and then only with chlorehexidine shampoo. If paws are muddy, I just dry them with towels (we have a stash of old terry towels that are easy to wash). I agree with responses above - do not bathe dogs of not needed.

My Bruschi has skin issues and I use chlorehexidine shampoo. He gets dried with hair blower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.