Why are bullies so annoying! Trying to cut nails!!

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley (2015-2020) Wesley 2021
:D well we have just spent 20 mins tempting Dudley to bathe his foot because he has a cyst that was hard enough but trying to cut his nails is just ridiculous :no:

Because he has not had his proper walks for the last few months due to his surgery his nails have grown. He doesnā€™t like them cut and we took him to the vets for them to try :no: he disappeared into a room with a vet and nurse who both thought it wouldnā€™t be a problem (not sure they had done a bulldog before) after 6/7 mins he appeared back through the door with two dishevelled vets saying ā€œwe could only do 2 nails, heā€™s really strong and wriggly :D

So we have tried treats, and a file and a battery powered file and of course clippers but heā€™s not having any of it!! So weā€™re going to try a licky mat to keep him busy while we sort his nails.

So just wondered if anyone else has any suggestions?

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Sorry posted in the wrong place !!!

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I use a Dremel and I do nails very early in the morning (430 am) while the boys are still sleeping. They wriggle a little bit but itā€™s manageable. Itā€™s the only way Iā€™m able to do them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
They say that you have to start getting the lm used to you touching their paws as puppies. But that didnā€™t work with Bella either. My son works at a vet so he knows how to hold her. It is almost like a wrestling hold so she canā€™t wiggle out of it. But she sure does try at first. lol
Now our other dogs (all three!) are great. They just lay there ( Sadie our boxer will even fall asleep sometimes. I guess she looks at it as a manicure !

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
I use a Dremel and I do nails very early in the morning (430 am) while the boys are still sleeping. They wriggle a little bit but itā€™s manageable. Itā€™s the only way Iā€™m able to do them.

Yes we have a "Dremel" type but thats not working either! :(

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Tank also hates doing nails. I rarely can do all nails in one time, I usually plan 1 paw a day. Here are my tricks.
1) put him comfortably in bed and never hold him
2) all the way I say non-stop ā€œgood boy...what a good boyā€, you might laugh at me, but it helps, I can feel his confusion because he wants to pull his paw from my hands, but he hears good boy and kinda wants to be a good boy, so he doesnā€™t pull paw so hard
3) put next to me a plate full of treats and give him one after another, or even better ask my daughter to stuff his mouth with treats while Iā€™m doing nails
4) after I use clipper to cut, which is the most difficult part because he is scared of it, I use electric file for feet (like Amope Pedi), and he actually allows me to use it better than clipper, because he is sniffing the powder that comes from the file.

I try not to upset him and not to make him hate the process completely, so if he gets really nervous, I just stop. I think it is really important to show him that it is not so bad, so if Iā€™ve done only 3 nails, it is better to start tomorrow all over again.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=13960]Zedsded[/MENTION] As you know by my "handle" I've had alot! I have always groomed and done my own dogs nails. All were okay,once they got used to me doing them. NOT these.
I have to take 2 Bullies to the Vet, and it took 3 helpers to hold Maude so he could cut her nails!! The only bulldog who lets me do her nails, is the last rescue(and I could see by her crooked nails, they were not done very often!!) Don't feel alone!

OP
Zedsded

Zedsded

Mar 30, 2015
Country
Uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank also hates doing nails. I rarely can do all nails in one time, I usually plan 1 paw a day. Here are my tricks.
1) put him comfortably in bed and never hold him
2) all the way I say non-stop ā€œgood boy...what a good boyā€, you might laugh at me, but it helps, I can feel his confusion because he wants to pull his paw from my hands, but he hears good boy and kinda wants to be a good boy, so he doesnā€™t pull paw so hard
3) put next to me a plate full of treats and give him one after another, or even better ask my daughter to stuff his mouth with treats while Iā€™m doing nails
4) after I use clipper to cut, which is the most difficult part because he is scared of it, I use electric file for feet (like Amope Pedi), and he actually allows me to use it better than clipper, because he is sniffing the powder that comes from the file.

I try not to upset him and not to make him hate the process completely, so if he gets really nervous, I just stop. I think it is really important to show him that it is not so bad, so if Iā€™ve done only 3 nails, it is better to start tomorrow all over again.

:D This is exactly what we are trying, slowly, slowly with lots ot treats but still struggle to get one done!!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)

I have my groomers use the dremel... honestly it last longer than just cutting the nail.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
I have my groomers use the dremel... honestly it last longer than just cutting the nail.

I cut Jaxā€™s quick years ago with clippers and it was like a murder scene, so much blood. That was the end of the clippers.

Tawnys mom

Sep 11, 2018
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tawny
Tawny loves getting her nails done. She will just lay there and let me cut and dremel them. I think she just loves the attention lol.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
Punk hates it, but she unwillingly lets me cut her nails with a clipper, then I use my "Pretty Paws" - just a fat dremel - to smooth them out. Of course, when I say "let's do your paws", she looks at me as if to say "hell no!", then I physically push her to the couch and then make her jump up. Then when I sit down, she tries to jump off and I grab a leg and say "no you don't missy". All the time I'm getting the "I'm so mistreated look, body language, etc.". Missy also hates it, but she is so little that she gives up.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
My doorways wouldn't hold this,but wish they would! The Doggie Lift.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
This is Missy's - just wait til you go to sleep" look..... IMG_0088.JPG do not know how to fix the pic.

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.