Peeing bed

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
Hello 3rd time Iā€™ve posted in maybe 3 weeks but this behavior really is getting annoying and the better of us mainly because like I said I am working from home literally take her out every 1-2 hours TOPS 3 sheā€™s already 16 weeks and continues o pee her bed at night weā€™ve stopped giving her water after 7 and she just wonā€™t stop. I do want to say it is not every bight as sometimes she does not pee or poo all night for maybe 9 hours. But today really just got to me as she was screaming in her crate after only going in there at 12am and is now only 530am and her bed is peed all over and I just washed yesterday after she pooped and stepped on her poo and then on her bed. So my question is. Is there any suggestions I really do not feel she is grasping going outside I give her treats etc. But it seems to me she just isnā€™t grasping the concept been trying for more than a month and some days she goes ok then the next 3 accidents plus a night accident. Again any suggestions as what to do she might be sick or is it just behavioral. It really is getting to us mainly because like I said I take her out every 1-2 hours really and I mean we really can do better than that I mean 1-2 hours is what we can play with and I mean I really do not think a lot of people have the time I have to take their dogs out but still manage to somehow teach or make their dogs understand. We also put her in her crate literally right after taking her outside. Some advise or something would help A LOT. Thank You!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
She is 4 months old, so she can hold for not more than 4 hours. Rule of thumb is that age in months equals hours the puppy can hold urine.

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
She is 4 months old, so she can hold for not more than 4 hours. Rule of thumb is that age in months equals hours the puppy can hold urine.

I understand. She gets taken out every 1-2 sometimes even less than that when work is slow. Also she does not do it every night like I said sometimes she does not go for the whole night up to 9 hours. So should I interrupt my sleep midway through the night to take her out to potty? Cause I donā€™t think thatā€™s a thing then why crate her?

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
If puppy cries in his bed in the morning it is already too late usually, you should try to get up before her, take her sleepy out of bed before she pees in bed and put her on the peeing pad and when she pees praise her.
You must understand that there is no way puppy wakes up and will hold urine until you get up.

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
If puppy cries in his bed in the morning it is already too late usually, you should try to get up before her, take her sleepy out of bed before she pees in bed and put her on the peeing pad and when she pees praise her.
You must understand that there is no way puppy wakes up and will hold urine until you get up.

So I guess what youā€™re telling me is to wake up in the middle of the night to take her out to pee?

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I understand. She gets taken out every 1-2 sometimes even less than that when work is slow. Also she does not do it every night like I said sometimes she does not go for the whole night up to 9 hours. So should I interrupt my sleep midway through the night to take her out to potty? Cause I donā€™t think thatā€™s a thing then why crate her?

sometimes they have more poop accumulated in the bowels, so some mornings pressure is too high.
Yeah, crating should prevent pooping/peeing, but obviously sometimes she needs to go so badly, that she gives up. Just be patient, it shouldnā€™t take too long for her to become more mature.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
So I guess what youā€™re telling me is to wake up in the middle of the night to take her out to pee?

Do you stay in the house or apartment? It could be helpful to get plastic toilet with pee pads, then you donā€™t need to go outside, but yes, actually it could help to let her make a wee in the middle of the night. If there is less wee in the tummy, pooping accidents shouldnā€™t happen, as less pressure.

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
sometimes they have more poop accumulated in the bowels, so some mornings pressure is too high.
Yeah, crating should prevent pooping/peeing, but obviously sometimes she needs to go so badly, that she gives up. Just be patient, it shouldnā€™t take too long for her to become more mature.

Ok itā€™s really just getting to me because I do wash her bed every day. And itā€™s really hard to keep up and I take her out a lot a lot sometimes she does not even walk or move from being annoyed from outside. I just donā€™t understand why her bed and not on the peepad/nonbeddig area.

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
Do you stay in the house or apartment? It could be helpful to get plastic toilet with pee pads, then you donā€™t need to go outside, but yes, actually it could help to let her make a wee in the middle of the night. If there is less wee in the tummy, pooping accidents shouldnā€™t happen, as less pressure.

I do stay here. I work from home lately. Sometimes I travel but not that much. Weā€™ve had her more than a month and Iā€™ve only been out 2 days. Everyday I am with her 24/7 just when I go to bed she goes in her crate/pen with pee pads a bed and some toys. Water gets taken out after 7pm and I do take her out immediately before going in her crate. Again it is just sometimes, like you said maybe she had a lot to drink. But I do try to give her the same amount consistently I actually posted in here about it. But I donā€™t know if sheā€™s just developing this behavior and how to put and end to it. Or Iā€™m missing something or like you said maybe i am going to have to take her out on the middle of the night Iā€™ll put an alarm but, when will that stop? I donā€™t think I can be interrupting my sleep every night.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Pee pad inside the crate she cannot distinguishfrom bed, I mean separate place outside crate, where you take her out for a pee, just to make this waking up for you less stressful, so you donā€™t go all the way outside. Donā€™t worry, she wonā€™t develop habit to wake up, when she is older, she will sleep up to 10 hours without needing the toilet. Now it is important for you to teach her that crate is a ā€œsacredā€ place where no pooping/peeing happen. She doesnā€™t think anything about peeing/pooping, itā€™s just she cannot wait sometimes. If we really need to pee and poop, we also cannot wait a whole hour, right?
The goal of your actions is to prevent accidents, crate helps to some extent because instinct is not to pee in crate, but it cannot help 100%. So I would suggest a plastic toilet with pads and every now and then (especially after waking up and eating) you put her on this toilet and say ā€œmake a weeā€. When she understands toilet goal may be you could try to leave crate in the night open, so if she needs to wee she can wee herself without waking you up.

https://www.amazon.com/ANYPET-Indoo...t&qid=1553427277&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

this is toilet that can be used. You insert pads in it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I do stay here. I work from home lately. Sometimes I travel but not that much. Weā€™ve had her more than a month and Iā€™ve only been out 2 days. Everyday I am with her 24/7 just when I go to bed she goes in her crate/pen with pee pads a bed and some toys. Water gets taken out after 7pm and I do take her out immediately before going in her crate. Again it is just sometimes, like you said maybe she had a lot to drink. But I do try to give her the same amount consistently I actually posted in here about it. But I donā€™t know if sheā€™s just developing this behavior and how to put and end to it. Or Iā€™m missing something or like you said maybe i am going to have to take her out on the middle of the night Iā€™ll put an alarm but, when will that stop? I donā€™t think I can be interrupting my sleep every night.

Yes, ever 4-5 hours regardless of time of time, she will have to potty. Also, I know somesay to remove water, I am not a believer of that action, because when a dog drinks a lot of water, it can be a symptom of something is wrong, I would never do that.... your choice.

But, at 16 weeks... potty is required every 4-5 hours, youā€™re pushing it at 5. Also, if she is only peeing on the bedding, remove it till she is fully trained

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
Yes, ever 4-5 hours regardless of time of time, she will have to potty. Also, I know somesay to remove water, I am not a believer of that action, because when a dog drinks a lot of water, it can be a symptom of something is wrong, I would never do that.... your choice.

But, at 16 weeks... potty is required every 4-5 hours, youā€™re pushing it at 5. Also, if she is only peeing on the bedding, remove it till she is fully trained

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I actually think the same way but decided to remove it because her peeing is scary! Haha but I actually do feel bad, I even feel bad crating her I wish she could roam and do whatever she wanted but I do not want the apartment smelling. And I see I will do that, I am just apprehensive because I think she might develop that behavior of ok I pee every night, but I am no dog trainer thatā€™s just me. I will follow the advice given here. And will definitely post results etc. In a week tops just so other can read the Topic and know the final results. Again I appreciate been EXTREMELY helpful!

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
FYI When Joey was being crate trained as a wee pup I set the alarm on my phone for every 2 hours to take her outside. Sure, I was sleep deprived for a couple of weeks BUT it was totally worth it. Good luck, hang in there and donā€™t get frustrated. This process with ANY pup takes time and patience.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I actually think the same way but decided to remove it because her peeing is scary! Haha but I actually do feel bad, I even feel bad crating her I wish she could roam and do whatever she wanted but I do not want the apartment smelling. And I see I will do that, I am just apprehensive because I think she might develop that behavior of ok I pee every night, but I am no dog trainer thatā€™s just me. I will follow the advice given here. And will definitely post results etc. In a week tops just so other can read the Topic and know the final results. Again I appreciate been EXTREMELY helpful!

Just so you know... my girl bulldog was trained in months... my male Frenchieā€” TWO full years!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have had MANY puppies. Unlike most people, I love training them! They all learn at a different rate, and I've had many different breeds, and most of my English were a little slower about "potty" training. Even at the age of your pup, I would get up at least twice during the night, and take them out. They can not learn,it they are not helped to learn. How long does it take to train a human baby? Dogs learn pretty fast,in comparison! The dog parent needs patience. Getting up during the night does not last forever(though sometimes it seems like it). Being patient,remembering that your pup is just a baby,and "hanging" in there, will be rewarded. One day, as sisters3 said "it will be totally worth it". You also might have to remove the bedding until she IS trained. For some strange reason, some bulldogs will pee on bedding!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.