Chewing own leg

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
I am starting to worry about my puppy. She is 15 weeks old I got her 3 weeks ago. I have been cleaning her face, paws as well as rear and belly every time she goes out to potty. She started getting some pimples/blackheads around on her jowles a couple of days back. I also feed her on stainless steel bowls and clean her after. For the past couple of days she has started to what I can tell chewing on her own hind legs. I really donā€™t know if she chews or just licks but sheā€™s definitely going at it a lot. I donā€™t know if sheā€™s had an allergic reaction or is something normal for dogs who go outside but I am really starting to worry about her. Again donā€™t know how to tell what she is doing or if pimples are normal around the jowels and itā€™s not connected to the chewing. First time EB owner. Iā€™ll attach some pictures of pimples blackheads previous post did not get any replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
Also she started having diarrhea since all this started.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
What brand and protein are you currently feeding?

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen

I am feeding the same one the breeder was feeding itā€™s called Activa is a brand from a petstore here in TX. It also does have additives like for bully breed, growth and digestive and some coconut oil mixed in the dry food

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen

9b01945db6bfa77a7cc85ee3c3fd5641.jpg
4480472e120258bf106e0211eba28062.jpg

This is what Iā€™m talking about on her jowels

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I am feeding the same one the breeder was feeding itā€™s called Activa is a brand from a petstore here in TX. It also does have additives like for bully breed, growth and digestive and some coconut oil mixed in the dry food

I've never heard of that brand. What is the protein you are feeding and is it grain free?

Pimples around the jowls can be fairly common. Do you wipe her face after she eats and drinks? What are you using to wipe with?

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
I've never heard of that brand. What is the protein you are feeding and is it grain free?

Pimples around the jowls can be fairly common. Do you wipe her face after she eats and drinks? What are you using to wipe with?

It is grain free itā€™s chicken flavor. I do wipe her face I use Burtā€™s bees hypoallergenic pet wipes but Iā€™ve been told maybe to use malacetic wipes. She does not seem to have inflammation or redness in her legs. Forgot to mention that.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Chewing/licking hind paws could be a sign of itch in the paws ( and itch usually means allergy or infection, check between her toes). But I would also be very careful and thoroughly check her under and around the tail area, as bulldogs canā€™t reach their butt to scratch or lick, so they air lick or lick hind paws when there is problem around butt. Does she have anal glands issue? Does she have a tail pocket? Itching anus because of diarrhoea can also cause hind paws chewing/licking.
P.S. guys who have females, did you notice air or paws licking when something is wrong with female private parts?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I have never had any Burt's Bees that I liked. Yes, if Maude has an itch she can't reach, she will raise her back leg, and bite it a little, or do some air licking.

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
Chewing/licking hind paws could be a sign of itch in the paws ( and itch usually means allergy or infection, check between her toes). But I would also be very careful and thoroughly check her under and around the tail area, as bulldogs canā€™t reach their butt to scratch or lick, so they air lick or lick hind paws when there is problem around butt. Does she have anal glands issue? Does she have a tail pocket? Itching anus because of diarrhoea can also cause hind paws chewing/licking.
P.S. guys who have females, did you notice air or paws licking when something is wrong with female private parts?

She does have a tail pocket o do clean throughly itā€™s not that hard because it is actually not that deep. Well she did start chewing her legs since she started with diarrhea. I do clean her every single time as she is dripping from behind after she goes. I donā€™t know if maybe I irritated her behind. But the chewing is not excessive nor is she raw from any part. I donā€™t think anything is wrong with her female parts seems normal nor inflamed or red.

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
I have never had any Burt's Bees that I liked. Yes, if Maude has an itch she can't reach, she will raise her back leg, and bite it a little, or do some air licking.

I see I will switch immediately to another type of wipe. Thank You.!

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Itā€™s not your wiping that makes it irritated, itā€™s most probably the very liquid stools. To make get anus feel better you can put a bit of Neosporin ointment there.

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
Itā€™s not your wiping that makes it irritated, itā€™s most probably the very liquid stools. To make get anus feel better you can put a bit of Neosporin ointment there.

Oh well I did think she was a little irritated maybe from that now what would you recommend me doing in terms of food I guess I need to do a switch.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh well I did think she was a little irritated maybe from that now what would you recommend me doing in terms of food I guess I need to do a switch.

I would stop chicken as that could be a common allergy for these guys. Maybe try a duck or turkey. If you wanted to switch brands, some good kibble brands would be Acana, Orijen, Fromm, Earthborn Holistics, Zignature, just to name a few.

Has her stool been tested for parasites? You can also try adding in some pure canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) or some slippery elm to help with the diarrhea.

I use chlorhexidine wipes to wipe Louie's face every day.

OP
E

EduDL91

Mar 7, 2019
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmen
I would stop chicken as that could be a common allergy for these guys. Maybe try a duck or turkey. If you wanted to switch brands, some good kibble brands would be Acana, Orijen, Fromm, Earthborn Holistics, Zignature, just to name a few.

Has her stool been tested for parasites? You can also try adding in some pure canned pumpkin (not the pie filling) or some slippery elm to help with the diarrhea.

I use chlorhexidine wipes to wipe Louie's face every day.

I will look up any of those brands as I only have 1 petco here in my town but maybe online would be better. I will try and add pumpkin next time see if that helps a bit. Thank You!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.