Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Louie stinks so bad within 2-3 days of a bath!!! I can't figure out why.
Here is what I do & feed.

Bath with Zymox shampoo & conditioner. I've bathed him as often as every other week. I've gone as long as 8 weeks per my vet. He still smells.

Food: Last Sept. I switched to primarily frozen raw (Northwest Naturals). I occasionally supplement with Zignature kibble, soaked in bone broth. He also gets Carna4 which is a ground sprouted seed digestive aid. I think he costs more to feed than my teenage son.

Snacks: Frozen green beans, bananas, or Grandma Lucy's dehydrated white fish (soaked to rehydrate of course).

I clean his ears with witch hazel.
I clean his tail pocket with Helene's essential oil mixture.
He is not super wrinkly but I use un scented baby wipes and bully paste for face.
I give him filtered water with a squirt of Zymox water additive. Have also tried ACV in the water in the past.
He won't let me do foot soaks, he acts like I am dipping his paws in lava. In fact, he won't really let me touch his paws at all.
He scratches his ears a lot. He chews his paws constantly. It seems like his breath and paws are the smelliest bits.
Eyes are always runny. Vet had me do Benadryl, doesn't seem to help.
Any thoughts?

Hceril

Jan 19, 2017
Middle Georgia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella (EBD) Roxy (pit mix) Tyson (pit mix) Sadie (boxer)
Well that stinks!! Literally!!
I am sure youā€™ll get some great advice here shortly.
Bella gets only s few baths a year ( She is in the pool a lot in the summer) only when she gets muddy after playing in the pool then finding a hole to play in. Lol
Just recently her eyes have been a little runny, even my eyes are tears and itchy this year. :( (Pollen count is awful here right now) I do the witch hazel.

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Bad smell from skin is usually yeast infection. Bad smell from mouth - teeth or digestive issues.
Seems like his food is very high grade. I would suggest adding natural probiotics- Greek yogurt, kefir etc, sauerkraut, green tripe. And high quality fish oil.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
King Louie, Jax (French Bulldog), Ella Mae and Darla Rae
What protein are you feeding? NW Naturals has fruits and veggies in it which could be feed yeast. You can try switching to a brand that is just the meat/organ/bone and then slowly add in your own fruits and veggies one by one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
D

Delaney24

Feb 15, 2018
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
I give him plain Greek yogurt sometimes. Maybe I'll add it more, or try fish oil.
The NW Naturals I give him is usually beef. I do switch it up with smaller bags of other protein from time to time for variety. He's trying Primal Foods Rabbit right now- loves it but $$$$. I didn't even think about the fruits/veggies in NW Naturals. He loves bananas, apples, and blueberries. Maybe they are causing yeast?

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Greek yogurt is good but it has the least amount of probiotics than some of the others. I normally rotate between raw goat's milk and fermented fish stock and have just recently been using fermented sauerkraut (in the fridge section of stores, not canned).

My French Bulldog gets itchy and yeasty if he eats too much beef but he does fine in small amounts.

Vital Essentials is a brand that has no added fruits or veggies and Answers has a straight formula as well if you wanted to try that. Tucker's brand as well.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I give him plain Greek yogurt sometimes. Maybe I'll add it more, or try fish oil.
The NW Naturals I give him is usually beef. I do switch it up with smaller bags of other protein from time to time for variety. He's trying Primal Foods Rabbit right now- loves it but $$$$. I didn't even think about the fruits/veggies in NW Naturals. He loves bananas, apples, and blueberries. Maybe they are causing yeast?

Since youā€™re using my mix I posted, use it also for his ears. This essential oil mix was made for the ears. I simply added a couple other oils for the tail but trust me works for the ears as well. I had same issue with Duke. His paws were yeasty. I did put a cream or/and oil between his toes then put baby socks on his front feet so it penetrates properly. For the ears, use cotton ball but DONT put it into the canal..just above as it will soak in on its own. If a dog licks paws n scratches ears itā€™s a food problem. I went through that with Mr Duke. Nyala is made of cast iron but Duke is a bit different. His paws are beautiful now. Once in a while he tends to lick this paws after getting excited from playing non stop. He has anxiety. Simply a bad habit which Iā€™m working with him. You also need to stop the Greek yogurt if your dog is too yeasty. Like @ cbrugs said switch. I love fermented sauerkraut. That one has a very powerful probiotic. I would give a good tablespoon per day on top of his food. Youā€™re feeding him too many different items and you wonā€™t know what is causing the problem. Start over n do one food at a time. Berries wonā€™t cause yeast itā€™s the protein you need to keep an eye on. Try like lamb or duck. Not both. One at a time for a good month. Get off beef for sure as heā€™s yeasty. Also if you can find the smelly frozen tripe. Tripe has tons of great probiotics. Use it as a snack.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Berries wonā€™t cause yeast itā€™s the protein you need to keep an eye on.

Ahhhhh my friend...we must disagree on this one! I do thinks fruits can contribute to yeast. Yeast feeds on sugar and fruit has sugar even though it's natural. I do think most likely it could be a a protein issue but if yeast is already present, I think fruits can add to it. I know with Jax, he can get itchy and yeasty with too much fruit which is why I don't like giving him raw with fruits and veggies already mixed in, I like to control his intake.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
V
Ahhhhh my friend...we must disagree on this one! I do thinks fruits can contribute to yeast. Yeast feeds on sugar and fruit has sugar even though it's natural. I do think most likely it could be a a protein issue but if yeast is already present, I think fruits can add to it. I know with Jax, he can get itchy and yeasty with too much fruit which is why I don't like giving him raw with fruits and veggies already mixed in, I like to control his intake.

Yes you are correct for fruits. But.... berries has the least n very little sugars compared to all the other fruits. Why I suggest only berries. For sure we donā€™t give a cup of berries either but like 2-3 strawberries as a treat... actually raspberry n blackberries has the least.

[MENTION=18050]Delaney24[/MENTION] Now regarding bananas I would eliminate that immediately if yeast issues. Bananas are high sugars.

Cbrugs

Administrator
Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2016
Seattle, WA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
V

Yes you are correct for fruits. But.... berries has the least n very little sugars compared to all the other fruits. Why I suggest only berries. For sure we donā€™t give a cup of berries either but like 2-3 strawberries as a treat... actually raspberry n blackberries has the least.

[MENTION=18050]Delaney24[/MENTION] Now regarding bananas I would eliminate that immediately if yeast issues. Bananas are high sugars.

Okey then ...no disagreement [emoji6]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Helene and Citty got you covered!!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online