Change in Tail Pocket

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
Hello!!!

Iā€™ve never had an issue with my guyā€™s tail pocket. I could go weeks without having to clean it. Now all of a sudden it gets really funky daily!! No smells, but you can tell from looking at his bum that it needs cleaning. I use malacetic wipes to clean it, and it takes about 2 of them to make it clean. Is there any reason as to why all of a sudden it would change? Weather? Food allergies?

Thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jessica989

Jul 9, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Porky
Hello!!!

Iā€™ve never had an issue with my guyā€™s tail pocket. I could go weeks without having to clean it. Now all of a sudden it gets really funky daily!! No smells, but you can tell from looking at his bum that it needs cleaning. I use malacetic wipes to clean it, and it takes about 2 of them to make it clean. Is there any reason as to why all of a sudden it would change? Weather? Food allergies?

Thanks for any input!

I had a similar thing happen. It was like I couldnā€™t get the yeast to go away. I tried everything! My vet finally recommended trying something unorthodox and we used Claro. Itā€™s a 3 month ear medicine. I had it put in on March and we were just at the vet and itā€™s still looking good.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
I had a similar thing happen. It was like I couldnā€™t get the yeast to go away. I tried everything! My vet finally recommended trying something unorthodox and we used Claro. Itā€™s a 3 month ear medicine. I had it put in on March and we were just at the vet and itā€™s still looking good.

Clean his tail with ear medicine? I still have some ear wash....I wonder if thatā€™ll work.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Clean his tail with ear medicine? I still have some ear wash....I wonder if thatā€™ll work.

As most members knows, Nyala my brindle has a tail pocket issue. Been over 2yrs. I did a mix of oils n never had an issue for 2 years. Works absolutely great. I do have to clean it every 2-3days or it builds up hair, funky smell n some blood. I use 4baby wipes, dip the corners in the oil and clean till itā€™s hair free n clear. 4 wipes 4corners so lots of wiping. It was amputation or I make her a little mixture of my essential oils. In the summer itā€™s not as dirty as winter.

15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae (or Thuja)
8 drops of tea tree
4-6oz of Fractionated Coconut Oil

Sometimes I could use 4 oz n sometimes can be 6. 6 in HER case would be summer as the tail doesnā€™t get as dirty.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
As most members knows, Nyala my brindle has a tail pocket issue. Been over 2yrs. I did a mix of oils n never had an issue for 2 years. Works absolutely great. I do have to clean it every 2-3days or it builds up hair, funky smell n some blood. I use 4baby wipes, dip the corners in the oil and clean till itā€™s hair free n clear. 4 wipes 4corners so lots of wiping. It was amputation or I make her a little mixture of my essential oils. In the summer itā€™s not as dirty as winter.

15 drops Lavender
15 drops Geranium
15 drops Frankincense
15 drops Basil
10 drops Arborvitae (or Thuja)
8 drops of tea tree
4-6oz of Fractionated Coconut Oil

Sometimes I could use 4 oz n sometimes can be 6. 6 in HER case would be summer as the tail doesnā€™t get as dirty.

Ohhh could it be associated to seasons?

Lalaloopsie

Apr 18, 2016
Cape Town, SA
Country
Belarus
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
When the weather is particularly hot, tail pocket can get worse. Food allergies definitely contribute.
You must keep it dry, especially after shower or water play, just with dry paper towel. If now there is an infection, wipe with witch hazel, it doesnā€™t burn. Leave to work for half an hour. After that apply some Neosporin cream. Repeat for 3 days. Infection will go away. When it is under control, repeat once a week, after you shower him.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Ohhh could it be associated to seasons?

Tail pocket has nothing to do with season. Itā€™s simply no tail going out but straight over the back hip section towards the butt. So basically forms like a pocket which has to be cleans. Regarding the witch hazel, if your dog has an irritation n has a bit of blood like Nyala did once, that witch hazel will sting no matter what. Man did she yelp all the way to her bed n never have I heard her yelp. Why I donā€™t use witch hazel. I wonā€™t put her through unnecessary pain for nothing. But thatā€™s me. I know some will use it for tail pockets. Coconut oil will soothe any sting. These oils are all anti inflammatory n the tea tree is an antibacterial and NEVER use it if itā€™s NOT diluted in coconut or other oils! You need to know how to use oils on pets. Most all oils are all good for dogs but NOT cats. Nothing is wrong with witch hazel but on on an open cut or irritation skin I would think twice. I do use it in their flea/tick n mosquito spray.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/forums/your-bulldog-s-health/51130-essential-oils.html

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hello!!!

Thanks for any input!

s others have suggested... need to keep it dry. With all the hot weather and humidity right now... nature is stirring up moisture.

OP
Shahster

Shahster

Apr 13, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Otis & Cyrus
When the weather is particularly hot, tail pocket can get worse. Food allergies definitely contribute.
You must keep it dry, especially after shower or water play, just with dry paper towel. If now there is an infection, wipe with witch hazel, it doesnā€™t burn. Leave to work for half an hour. After that apply some Neosporin cream. Repeat for 3 days. Infection will go away. When it is under control, repeat once a week, after you shower him.

Thank you!!

Most Reactions

šŸ“° Latest posts

Staff online

Members online