My bulldog always smells even after two days from bathing? Why?

OP
S

Schultz1503

Oct 11, 2016
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and Tink
Try switching him to a frozen raw patty from your pet food store or a dehydrated raw product like Honest Kitchen, Grandma Lucys, Spot Farm etc That should help eliminate yeast. Make sure the food is grain free and not chicken, since a lot of bull dogs are allergic to chicken.

Also try giving him some probiotics, preferably a doggie probiotic like Herbsmith Microflora Plus or Proviable DC, but if not , give him some kefir, fresh green tripe or sauerkraut from the refrigerator section of health food store.

You can also help his itching by giving him coconut oil daily and salmon oil ( eg. Grizzly brand ) daily or sardines packed in spring water once or twice daily.

How much dosage of coconut oil u think is suffice? My boy is 45 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
S

Schultz1503

Oct 11, 2016
Texas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and Tink
The culprit can definitely be yeast. Some people describe yeast as smelling like Fritos.

What are you currently feeding?

Pure balance

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
We had this problem with FTSE when he was eating chicken and beef now he is on lamb no smell or yeast

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
How much dosage of coconut oil u think is suffice? My boy is 45 lbs

I'd give organic virgin coconut oil, about 4 tsp per day, start with 1 tsp per day and gradually work up to this to avoid diarrhea. If you want to give fish oil as well, don't give coconut oil on the days you give fish oil. If you do give fish oil then give natural source Vitamin E 400IU squeezed out of a capsule once a week as well. If you don't want to give fish oil give some canned sardines in water instead, about two cans a week.

CPagan

Feb 20, 2020
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson
Hi. Which raw food u guys use that I can try w/my bulldog that can help with t7he bad odor. Im mew btw so theres a lot that I dont know😊

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
Hi. Which raw food u guys use that I can try w/my bulldog that can help with t7he bad odor. Im mew btw so theres a lot that I dont know��

Cheapest and just as good would be from a local company delivered frozen and already ground up... If you tell us where you live in USA someone can hopefully tell you of one in your area. Try to start very basic with a low allergenic protein like duck, and go with the basic formula containing just muscle,bones and organs.Then later on try different proteins like turkey,rabbit,lamb,pork and also try blends that contain some fruits and vegetables. Carbohydrates in fruit feed yeast so it's better to find out later if your dog will get yeast when you reintroduce fruit. Don't give any treats at the beginning other than steamed vegetables either.

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
I absolutly swear by Dechra MalAcetic shampoo and wipes, -Amazon 16oz, $16-
use it on all three no problems what so ever,
And I've fought skin issues for years with the yorkie, she would scratch and bite till she made sores, using this weekly has made a huge difference.

They have shampoo!!?!?!???!!? Omg!!!! I get the wipes from the vet and they are amazing. Going to have to look this up now!! So excited!!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
... help with t7he bad odor....
If the odor is coming from a yeast infection, we use 1 part apple cider vinegar/2 parts water in a spray bottle. We spray down paws, under chin, and under legs(and any other area affected) after bathing & drying. Just spray it on, rub it in, and leave it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Cheapest and just as good would be from a local company delivered frozen and already ground up... If you tell us where you live in USA someone can hopefully tell you of one in your area. Try to start very basic with a low allergenic protein like duck, and go with the basic formula containing just muscle,bones and organs.Then later on try different proteins like turkey,rabbit,lamb,pork and also try blends that contain some fruits and vegetables. Carbohydrates in fruit feed yeast so it's better to find out later if your dog will get yeast when you reintroduce fruit. Don't give any treats at the beginning other than steamed vegetables either.

There are many options you can buy... Answers is a great one. I buy locally sourced in the Pocono PA area.

Dollys Owner

Feb 20, 2017
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Honey
There are many options you can buy... Answers is a great one. I buy locally sourced in the Pocono PA area.

Answers is good because they ferment all their products. You could take frozen raw dog food and ferment it yourself by marinading it at room or refrigerator temp with yoghurt,milk kefir, kombucha vinegar etc. [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] ferments at room temp

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I also had been facing this problem for a few months. Then my dog trainer suggests me to take some steps on this. These steps are bathing the bulldog, using shampoo regularly and many more. You may know details from my trainer's writing. How to Keep English Bulldog Smelling Good
Don't bathe your dog so often. It strips all the natural oils from their coat so I disagree with shampooing regularly. I very rarely bathe mine and he does not smell and he does not have dandruff.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.